FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Anyone watch The Office? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Anyone watch The Office?
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TL:
They made an American version of Coupling?

Yep.

quote:
When was this?
4 or 5 years ago? Possibly longer?

quote:
Did it suck?
Did it ever.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

- posted      Profile for LargeTuna   Email LargeTuna         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been extrekely underwhelmed by the past couple seasons of this show. I know that was inevitable and I hope they put an end to it before it just becomes painful. Each new episode has the potential for laugh out loud moments, but the charm from season 2 and even season 3 is gone. There were some feel good episodes but I haven't seen too many lately.

But I thought of this because I saw a pretty positive review of this show by OSC. I know people tend to dissagree with his political views (I don't really pay attention to then) but c'mon he said Toby was one of hus favorite character! gasp!

I do back up that Ryan and Kelly are hillarious.

Anyone else still watch this show? If I could go back in time I would tell myself to register under a different username non-office related. I just use my initials for the other forum I post at.

Posts: 856 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I don't even remember making this thread.

As for my current opinion on the Office... Although it's definitely true that it had its high point at Seasons 2 and 3 (especially 2), I still don't think there's been an episode yet that I haven't enjoyed. Certainly it's not as good as it used to be, but the humor is always so spot-on that I pretty much always enjoy watching it. Having the huge ensemble cast keeps it from getting boring. And at this point, I really do care about the characters, such as Jim and Pam, even if them actually being together erases the sexual tension that provided most of the jokes earlier. It's the kind of show where people talk like normal people, not like they're actors on a sitcom, and normal people tend to be funnier than comedians!

I'm glad OSC liked it. I mean, not that I care about his opinions anymore...but... I'm still glad he liked it.

edit: And while I'm here, I'll put in a plug for the British sitcom Outnumbered, which I recently discovered and watched every episode of. It's relevant to this thread because its deadpan humor seems to me like it was in part inspired by the Office. Watch out though, it sucks you in... I feel like I've known these people all my life. The whole first series is on Youtube and for the second series, you have to resort to sketchy websites.

Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sinflower
Member # 12228

- posted      Profile for sinflower           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad OSC liked it too. I thought OSC's whole new reviews article this week was very good; better than usual. His tribute to Barbara Bova was beautiful and poignant, and he displayed remarkable self awareness when he revealed that his greatest fear is appearing self importantly stupid. And humanizes him to me to know that he does doubt himself, and in such a self-aware manner.

Although I often don't agree with him, I find that when I do agree with him, he tends to articulate my own thoughts and reactions better than I can. He's one of the few people that I disagree with as often as not, but still respect and genuinely like...more so than anyone in my ~real~ life who I disagree with so much, which seems silly, but is a tribute to how well he can express himself in the written word. I can understand why his gay and lesbian friends love him regardless of his views on gay marriage. So that's my little OSC tribute of the day, which isn't terribly relevant to this thread but...whatever [Razz]

Posts: 241 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
This season had the funniest moment, Dwight's fire drill.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ace of Spades
Member # 2256

- posted      Profile for Ace of Spades           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by erosomniac:
Yeah, pretty much the only remotely attractive female regular I've seen (I've only been through season 1) is Pam, and her barely-above-average physical attractiveness is heavily outweighed by all her frustratingly negative qualities.

Posts: 431 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

quote:
Originally posted by Stephan:

You thought that was funny? For me, it was one of the few scenes in the whole show I could barely get through because I was cringing so much. And it ended with Stanley having a heart attack. Dwight's misunderstanding of what qualifies as "danger" is a joke-thread I hope they don't continue much in the future.
Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

quote:
Originally posted by sinflower:

Although I often don't agree with him, I find that when I do agree with him, he tends to articulate my own thoughts and reactions better than I can.

I agree. I've realized that I can often predict what things OSC will like, what things he will dislike, and what things he will ignore completely, and I was hoping he would like the Office. I thought it would be the kind of thing he would like, with the genuine human relationships and comments on the human condition and all, but I wasn't sure... I was worried about his touchiness around some issues... I don't know what issues in particular, I just thought whatever issues he might be touchy about probably cropped up somewhere in the Office....
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tara:
quote:
Originally posted by Stephan:

You thought that was funny? For me, it was one of the few scenes in the whole show I could barely get through because I was cringing so much. And it ended with Stanley having a heart attack. Dwight's misunderstanding of what qualifies as "danger" is a joke-thread I hope they don't continue much in the future.
I still chuckle about that scene. I've been told I have a disturbing sense of humor however.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.