FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Dont you just hate it when... ( a rant)

Author Topic: Dont you just hate it when... ( a rant)
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
People don't follow through as promised??

So I ask our head football coach to pass out a set of letters to the entire team inviting them to be part of the wrestling team this winter. He agrees and promises to hand them out in the last week. I put together a very nice letter outlining some of the benefits of wrestling and personally inviting the athletes to come give us a try. I also include a list of NFL stars that once wrestled in high school or college.

I find out that he mentioned the letter in passing to the team and then left them on his desk. The season has ended and I have missed the opportunity to reach those kids with something new. Even one kid giving it a try because of my letter makes it all worth it. But he said he didn't think many kids were interested so he didn't think it worth it for me to have kids try it out that weren't commited. How in the heck do you know you don't like something if you don't try it first and where does he get off making that desicion for the kids.

I'd have rather him said up front that he wasn't interested. That would have saved me a lot of time and effort. And I wouldn't be nearly so upset.

Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
You weren't interested enough to pass out the letters personally, so why should he have wasted his time?
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

Actually, I do not teach in the high school building so I do not have as easy of access to that as you may think. Also, the reason I did not is because I gave the letters to the Defensive Coordinator, who is a good friend of mine and also wishes the boys to wrestle. He was to give the letters out. In fact wanted to give them out. But the Head Coach took them, saying he wanted to do it. Then proceeded to do very little with them. It's an ego thing. Been going on all season. Hes a graduate that has been trying for the job for ten years and finally got it. On his own team he micromanages everything, refusing to listen to the advice of any asistant. And this is very in character for him. I did not post many of the details but in a heated e-mail conversation he made it very clear that he did give a crap about this word to hand them out. That is why I rant and that is the type of attitude that will also tick me off.
Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sweet William
Member # 5212

- posted      Profile for Sweet William           Edit/Delete Post 
On his own team he micromanages everything, refusing to listen to the advice of any asistant. And this is very in character for him.

A sports prima donna? Never HEARD of such a thing! [Roll Eyes]

A coach who thinks he needs to control the lives of his players in every aspect, and who believes that HIS sport is the most imporant thing in the universe? That just NEVER happens. [Confused]

This is why I don't believe in organized sports. [Wink]

Posts: 524 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, but do Organized Sports believe in you?
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

Sweet William

Unfortunately you sound like you've had all the wrong kind of experiences with organized sport. It can certainly be all the things you listed in the wrong hands. But for those of us who were lucky enough to have wonderful and caring coaches, as I was, then we know it is so very much more than the narrow view which you describe above.

I am the man, father, teacher, AND coach I am today because of the coahces I had in my own life. The world of organized athletics directly impacted my life in a very positive way, as it does for thousands of other young men and women around the world every day.

But as you said there are certainly bad apples out there who are in it for the wrong reason. I see it every day and it sadens me each time.

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sweet William:
This is why I don't believe in organized sports. [Wink]

Wow, a Hatrack post ripping on sports. We never see any of those anymore. Who pissed in your inhaler, four-eyes?
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
--"I'm late for class--Studies in State-Sponsored Terrorism"
--"Our school has that?"
--"AKA gym class"

from an old Shoe comic

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.