FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Time to move out. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Time to move out.
RyanINPnet
Member # 8363

- posted      Profile for RyanINPnet   Email RyanINPnet         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by scholar:
How many miles are you talking about?

Well, from Blayne's address (provided in another thread, here ) to his school (provided on his "website"), it would be 24.6062 miles (39.6km).

edit: Which, I think, is fairly far away…I would not bike it.

[ November 06, 2007, 07:30 PM: Message edited by: RyanINPnet ]

Posts: 61 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
<deleted cause someone beat me to the punch>

[ November 06, 2007, 07:31 PM: Message edited by: TheGrimace ]

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Folks, please stop attacking him...
Who the heck has answers when they are whatever age he is...?

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I think lots of people do.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
I think lots of people think they do.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
Originally posted by RyanINPnet:
it would be 24.6062 miles (39.6km).

Is that in a straight line, or accommodating for a safe biking route?
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by erosomniac:
I think lots of people think they do.

Lots of people have answers they can work from, even if they're not the best ones.

To me, Blayne's problem seems to be that he doesn't take responsibility for his own life. If you have a certain place you want to be in life, you have to dedicate your entire self to getting there, without assuming you'll get any help from anyone else. That's how you get places. My guess would be that Blayne has never exercised this in his life, which may or may not be his own fault. It may simply be bad parenting or education (which, to me, seems likely). HOWEVER, Blayne must now fight for himself, and take all the blame for his own problems on himself. Until he does this, I don't think he IS an adult...

Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
P.S.
Blayne, there are many people in this world who face situations much harder than yours, with much less going for them, and they simply put their heads down and deal with their problems without complaint. Just try and see if you can be one of those people.

Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
How do you get home from school now? (I tried to read the whole thread, if this was already mentioned someone tell me).
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
You can get a car that'll get you to school and back for under $1000 US, and under $500 if you go with a motorcycle or scooter.

Bicycling that distance is not completely out of the question - you could do it in under 2 hours each way if you are not in awful shape.

Is there no public transportation for even part of that distance?

Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Again, let me suggest emergency student housing. It'll almost always be on campus, or else near public transportation.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes listen to Tom, that certainly would be better than a friends basement.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
A former tenant told one of his friends said friend could sleep in his car outside my house.

I was uninformed of this until I noticed the police parked outside my house a few days later.

Yeah. Lots of things are better than crashing at someone's place.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
This is really in your control Blayne - you're blocking yourself with all your negativity. You just need to suck it up and do what's necessary.

There's always cheap housing within decent proximity to university. You're in a better position than I was in Uni - I lived 130kms from my parents, about 16kms from Uni and had to teach singing and work the checkouts at K-Mart to get by as I had no financial support.

The attitude you're showing now won't get you anywhere useful.

Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reshpeckobiggle
Member # 8947

- posted      Profile for Reshpeckobiggle   Email Reshpeckobiggle         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Phanto:
quote:

If you are so overweight that your dad just randomly calls you fat (sounds like a jerk), then 2-3 hours of riding your bike everyday might be exactly what you need.

Too harsh.
Was it? I didn't mean it that way. Healthy exercise doesn't just help your body, it helps the mind and the spirit. If Blayne is looking for an overall improvement in his life, I would wager that this one thing might do just that.
Posts: 1286 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's pretty short-sighted to suggest that Blayne ride his bike to school.

It's Canada. I hear it gets a little nippy during the winter months, eh?

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
He could always mush dogs. [Smile]

All kidding aside... Blayne, I think you should look into the emergency housing. I also think getting out there on your own will do you good. Is relationship you have with your parents right now is volatile. Getting out on your own, even with the stress of the full financial burden being on you, has got to be better than the situation you are in now.

Good luck.

Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reshpeckobiggle
Member # 8947

- posted      Profile for Reshpeckobiggle   Email Reshpeckobiggle         Edit/Delete Post 
Let me add; I was in what appeared to me to be a truly hopeless situation when I was 19, and I went so far as to join the army and took the MOS that offered a nearly immediate training start date so that I didn't have to wait around; I was on a plane to Fort Leonard Wood the next day. Six years later, my lot in life has improved drastically (I did not re-enlist.) However, I could have gotten here by much easier means if I had self-motivation from the beginning. The Army motivates you whether you want it or not, and you get run through the ringer in the meantime. I don't regret it, I'm just saying I learned a lot, and the hard way. Take from that what you may.
Posts: 1286 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
" Blayne's problem seems to be that he doesn't take responsibility for his own life."

Agreed. If I were his father, I would have kicked him out of the house long ago, for his own good.

Edit: I visited my parents a couple weeks ago and we got into an interesting discussion about the modern way of rearing children causing the eventual downfall of society, because they aren't learning to be productive and independent members of society.

Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reshpeckobiggle
Member # 8947

quote:
Originally posted by steven:
I think it's pretty short-sighted to suggest that Blayne ride his bike to school.

It's Canada. I hear it gets a little nippy during the winter months, eh?

Canada? Holy crap, nevermind. I had it in my head he was in California for some reason.
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Negotiating with my friend's parents.
Getting a programming job (there are 4 or so availiable part time.)
and getting a student loan and burseries.

Okay, this sounds like a set of goals. Now you need a plan of action. What's the first step to get that loan? What's the first step to get that programming job? What's the first step to negotiating with your friend's parents? I'd suggest figuring each of these out (maybe even write them down) and then begin taking each of those first steps - starting tommorrow.
Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Its Canada, we even get a tad bit of snow in the summer and ride polar bears to work and all of us live in igloos.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
"ride polar bears to work and all of us live in igloos."

You had me going until this. [Smile]

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Flying Dracula Hair
Member # 10155

- posted      Profile for The Flying Dracula Hair   Email The Flying Dracula Hair         Edit/Delete Post 
Its Canada, we even get a tad bit of snow in the summer and ride polar bears to work and all of us live in igloos.

That's awesome!

Posts: 299 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sharpie
Member # 482

- posted      Profile for Sharpie   Email Sharpie         Edit/Delete Post 
I am surprised (again -- one would think I would stop being surprised) that people feel so free to jump on Blayne. Maybe part of it is that I know "kids"* like Blayne -- lots and lots of them. They sleep half the day and play games all night and argue about chores and eat hot pockets and easy mac. You know what? They turn out fine.

Blayne, you are going to be fine. I guarantee you that in 20 years you won't be living in your dad's basement complaining that he wants you to turn the video games down. Look at the advice people are giving. Take the advice that makes sense to you. Don't worry about arguing with the advice that doesn't. It's free -- you don't have to take it, but you don't have to throw it back, either.

Tom's ideas about housing are good. If you don't take them NOW, keep them in mind. Friends' parents can be as "clueless" as your own. [Smile] I think you have a lot going for you. Look at your strengths. Use them.

*I know you are not a kid, but once a person gets to about 40, everybody seems like a kid.

Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
"Blayne, you are going to be fine. I guarantee you that in 20 years you won't be living in your dad's basement complaining that he wants you to turn the video games down."

My uncle is 47 and lives with my grandparents... evidently it is possible.

Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
Well. Not likely, is the point.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
...and for the record, I've lived places cold enough - and north enough - that I've experienced snow in every single month of the year. And some of the biggest downfalls of the year were in May, breaking off a huge amount of trees all over the city (Edmonton - although that was not the furthest north I lived). So, yeah, snow throughout the year, yeah.
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eowyn-sama
Member # 11096

- posted      Profile for Eowyn-sama   Email Eowyn-sama         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
ride polar bears to work
There's your solution! Sounds like fun to me :-p
Posts: 96 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaiden
Member # 2099

- posted      Profile for Jaiden   Email Jaiden         Edit/Delete Post 
what school do you go to?
Posts: 944 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
South Harmon Institute of Technology. [Smile]
Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 7924

- posted      Profile for Omega M.           Edit/Delete Post 
There sure seems to be a lot of bile being spewed at Blayne in this thread. I take it this is part of a long-running saga?
Posts: 781 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
*shrug* Not bile so much as exasperation. It's routine for Blayne to complain bitterly about his life situation, and then do nothing about it.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaiden
Member # 2099

- posted      Profile for Jaiden   Email Jaiden         Edit/Delete Post 
John Abbott CEGEP from his website. Are you a Quebec resident?

Residence is between $290 (shared room) to $331 (single). Renting a room is about $350-400. Dude that's -completely- doable even without student loans. You should be eligible for are the Quebec Student Loans and Bursaries program, or the Canada Student Loans. Apparently "Annie Proulx" in room H-151 is the person to contact about financial aid (a.proulx AT johnabbott.qc.ca). My suggestion is to send an email off to her and make an appointment. Go with -all- your information (SIN, taxes info, parent's info, etc.) and see what is available for you. Next apply to residence. The cost is very little and you'll live on campus. Next talk to your parents. Tell them that you're looking into options, show proof and tell them that you'll probably have a residence room by January. Perhaps they'll let you stay until the residence room opens up for you. If not, talk to your friends parents. You -can't- live at your friend's for an extended time. That's just silly to think it a possibility. I can pretty much promise you that that won't work out. And you might loose a friend to boot. Or your friend's parents might decide both of you should get out. Bad idea.

Assuming you are a Quebec resident that means you don't have the bonus of not having to pay tuition. So for a year that's ~$2000-4000 for rent, ~$1800-2500 for food, $200-800 for transportation (bus/subway) and $500 random personal stuff. So that's $4500-7800 to live. Minimum wage is $8.00 in Quebec and as a student taxes are next to nothing. If you lived on the cheap you could make enough by working ~16 hours a week being paid minimum wage. Saturday and two nights. That is very doable.

Oh and contact your student employment services people. If you're honestly having a problem finding an English speaking job in Montreal, you obviously don't know how to look for a job and/or apply for one. I know many people who have (and still do) work in Montreal that only speak English and have had no problems getting jobs. If you're too proud to apply for some jobs, you should get over it quickly. Being "too good" for something is sometimes not an option [Smile]

I'd also start looking out at what universities you wish to apply to (assuming you want to continue on).

[ November 07, 2007, 05:21 PM: Message edited by: Jaiden ]

Posts: 944 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
When you are a young adult that has been living in a dysfunctional family environment, it can be extremely difficult to find the resources to help yourself become more independent and secure.

Tom and Jaiden have both given extremely helpful advice, and I really hope you take it. Sometimes when you haven't done it on your own before the problems seem much more insurmountable, but you will get the hang of it.

I would also like to echo that living long term (over two weeks) with a friend's family is not really a healthy option, though leaving your own home might help you to function better in order to tackle the road ahead.

Don't be afraid to seek out those resources available to you, and to work hard and some crappy jobs. Working a less than thrilling job when you are 20-23 is way better than putting it off and then having to start from the beginning when you are 25 and less likely to get cut some slack.

I came from some pretty tough family and financial situations, and often played the "what I would do if I were rich" game. It was really hard for me to find my path because I had so many friends and acquaintances that were more privileged. It's a useless game to play, and with determination you can achieve independence despite your origins.

Seek out counseling at school if possible, to help you understand all your options, and also to help you if you are struggling with depression that is making even the smaller problems seem huge.

It may take some time and a lot of work, but you can do it [Smile]

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I require internet access always for my homework, you have no right to say otherwise it is not you who is doing my work.
Why?

You've explained that you'd rather do your work from home than at at school, but you haven't given any reason why you "require internet access always" for your homework.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eowyn-sama
Member # 11096

- posted      Profile for Eowyn-sama   Email Eowyn-sama         Edit/Delete Post 
I can understand that if he has computer-based homework, internet might be required. (Heck, I'm an engineering student, and I'd say internet is 'required' for my homework because I need access to information, but it's not computer programming or anything like that) In which case, on-campus computer labs should be fine.
Posts: 96 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh sure, I'm sure that internet access is required.

The question is whether having internet access at home is really a requirement.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
What about local Wi-Fi hotspots? Blayne, do you live within walking/biking distances of an internet-providing coffee house? What about a neighborhood library?
Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sharpie
Member # 482

- posted      Profile for Sharpie   Email Sharpie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
Oh sure, I'm sure that internet access is required.

The question is whether having internet access at home is really a requirement.

But... he FEELS that it is. So why do we have to argue with him about it? He will find that it is or it isn't, won't he?

Speaking for myself, I would HATE to be unable to do homework in my own home. Could I if necessary? Sure. But it would be up to me to decide that the situation called for it.

The rest is NOT in response to the quoted bit [Smile] :

I was a person who was trapped (I felt) in a bad situation. The solution was for me to: walk away. Easy, right? It took me years to actually do so, and I was a college graduate, a mother, a person who looked like I had it all together. It is VERY HARD to extricate one's self from some kinds of situations, and Blayne hasn't been an adult for long.

Let me tell you the kinds of things that helped me. People saying "you can do this, you are strong, you have what it takes." What does NOT help a person who feels helpless is someone telling them they have no ability to make decisions, that they have no ability to follow through, etc etc. It pushes them further into the mire.

And it's actually kind of sucky.

Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
You should really take the time to read some of Blayne's threads/posts before you chime in with bad advice.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But... he FEELS that it is. So why do we have to argue with him about it? He will find that it is or it isn't, won't he?

Speaking for myself, I would HATE to be unable to do homework in my own home. Could I if necessary? Sure. But it would be up to me to decide that the situation called for it.

But in a situation like Blayne's where finances are tight, it would be irresponsible to just assume you need internet access at home and that sacrifices in that department could not be made. Doing all my homework at school would be very inconvenient, but if my finances did not allow me to pay for internet, I'd bite the bullet and do my homework at school.

Where I in Blayne's position, I would secure a student loan or pel grant for my tuition payments, work at least 5 hours a day in addition to attending classes. I know that I could make it here in Utah if I did those things, but I am not sure what rent, utilities, tuition are where Blayne goes to school. Nor what his work load is, only Blayne really knows.

I know that in my younger years however the idea of not having high speed internet was very bad in my mind, and I would have done almost anything to avoid that situation. Does not mean I was right to think it was so important.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:
You should really take the time to read some of Blayne's threads/posts before you chime in with bad advice.

I totally get the exasperation with Blayne's repeated ignoring of advice. At the same time, though, I really think it's worth pointing out that a lot of the advice has gotten ludicrous, a lot of the comments are just plain offensive, and even if Blayne wanted to take a stab at it, at this point it's pretty difficult to sort out the useful advice from the posts in this thread that are just angry rehashings of what probably started as useful advice when it was first offered. Bike 2-3 hours each way in the snow, plus hold a part time job to pay for all his expenses while going to school full time, all starting from a basis of (presumably) no savings, but move out immediately? At this point, the "advice" genuinely starts looking insurmountable, even ludicrous.

It's also important to remember that just because something is theoretically possible doesn't make it possible for everyone. Blayne has, in the past, demonstrated practically zero responsibility and good judgement when it comes to his time management and other decisions. Many of you--perhaps even most of you--could follow this advice and succeed. For some of you--and I think this includes Blayne--it'd be a sink or swim situation, where "sink" means "dying slowly in the snowy gutters."

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I am also monolingual so that limits available jobs.

However Matrox wants to hire me for my Stage come January so there's good news.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Okay catching up on alot of posts:

I do not qualify for the oncampus residence because supposedly I live to close, spots are reserved for people living as far away as Shubugimo (northern quebec).

I am applying for a student loan, and I am making my cv ready for a job. There 'might' be a flat in town, but ild rather live with someone i know for 4 years transitionally then jump into a flat on my own without any experience.

Asf ro why I cant do my work at school, isn't it obvious? School is for school work and lectures, home is for homework, I have 6 courses a week mondays to thursdays 8:30-5:30 and theres no way to get home past 6 if I stay at school to work what am i gonna do sleep in the labs until the security guard finds me and tosses me into the street?

EmpSquared
Member # 10890

- posted      Profile for EmpSquared           Edit/Delete Post 
Blayne,

Have you ever weighed the idea of working at the front of the house at a restaurant? I mean, there are tons of these threads so this may have already been suggested to you, but it's actually surprisingly easy feat to accomplish if you apply at a lower-end restaurant as a busser or a server.

Try somewhere like Applebee's, or Chili's, or a popular mexican food restaurant. Busy places with lower menu prices don't tend to be as choosy when it comes to experience and hiring, and some places might even be able to accommodate that school schedule of yours. It seems that if, say, you worked both weekend days and about two night shifts you could still go to school and make enough money to support yourself.

Of course, I don't know where you're at, so it might not be as feasible as an option. I just remember being in a situation like yours (but not nearly as dire), and a restaurant job really bailed me out when I needed to leave home quickly, but support myself at the same time.

Posts: 368 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.