FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » So my roommmate's a jerk.

Author Topic: So my roommmate's a jerk.
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
I roomed with a guy I went to high school with. We weren't close in high school, but I figured we'd get along fairly well. And as yet, I thought we'd had.

I go to UGA, which tends to be a very conservative Southern university. As a gay man, I figured it would be better if I made sure I had a roommate who'd be all right with it. My roomie knew that beforehand--knew that was a major part of things.

I've just been told he's been talking behind my back a lot about me. Most of it is just practical complaints, which I only wish he'd brought to me so I could change things.

I would not have heard any of this, though, except apparentley he's been making a lot of really awful homoerotic comments that were making our mutual friends pretty uncomfortable, so they told me. I've not done anything, I think, that would give him such issues. My boyfriend's been over once or twice, but all we do is share the couch--we don't even touch when my roommate's in the room, and we don't even kiss in there otherwise.

So he's put in for a roommate transfer--another thing I was not told. If I had been told, I would have time to arrange another roommate. If I hadn't found out, I would have ended up with whatever fellow the university decided to randomly assign me--and gay UGA students have a history of (1) being harassed my random selection roommate, and (2) the administration doing little or nothing with such incidents.

I'm . . . I just don't know how to see tihs.

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Can you get out of student housing entirely? I don't know how long you've been there, what the rental market in your area is like or any of your other specifics, but after a semester or two you might be able to find enough people to make off campus housing a viable option. If your parents are helping you pay for school, talk to them about this option.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

I'm a freshman, so I can't go off-campus for a little while.
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
miamiandy
Member # 8906

- posted      Profile for miamiandy   Email miamiandy         Edit/Delete Post 
Freshmen at most college campuses have to stay on campus and deal with random selection. Your best bet is see if anyone else you know has an issue with their roommates.
Posts: 35 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

Well, I've got a friend who's MTF trans--she has the issue that they're making her live on guys' halls, and more, she has to pay extra to have a single room (can you imagine finding a guy who'd be cool with that?). I might well room with her.
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah I really reccomend trying to room with your MTF friend if she is ok with it.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
That would solve both your problems, and since you're gay, she wouldn't have to worry about freaking you out as much as perhaps a hetero guy would be.
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
Depends on the hetero guy, I guess. I wouldn't have minded rooming with a trans. People are people and all that stuff.
Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, this brings back memories.
My freshman year at college I was roomed with a guy who was Southern Baptist. Like really Southern Baptist. On my side of the room I had my sci-fi stuff and Rocky Horror posters, his side had nothing but Bible quotes.

I thought we were getting along ok, but turns out he was doing similar stuff as your roomate Joldo. Then in October, as I was all dressed up to go to the Rocky Horror Picture Show at a local frat and in the dorm computer lab he comes in and says he wants me to come with him to the Hall Director's office. I'm like, what?? We go in and he tells the Director that things aren't working out and he wants me to move out.

I'm floored and insulted...and not in any mood to be pushed over. I calmly tell the HD that I had no idea that there were any problems and I don't see why I have to move out.

Long story short he moved out instead and I got a double as a single for half a year. [Smile]
He later came and apologized, saying his actions weren't very Christian. Yeah, tell me about it.
We shake hands and I forgive him and we never talk again.

All in all not too bad an experiance, but very weird none the less.

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Way to stand your ground, Telp. That ending is much better than I'd have expected. I'm impressed you stayed calm and in control, and I'm impressed he later had the balls to admit he was wrong and apologize.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EmpSquared
Member # 10890

- posted      Profile for EmpSquared           Edit/Delete Post 
One of my ex-roommates complained about me behind my back to my other roommate-- which can get all sorts of complicated. At least the conflict was fairly direct; if there had been more roommates involved it can be difficult to resolve. He would complain about my singing in the morning (11 am), an dabout how I'd pressure him for the rent-- but only after the rent was due. Some people are just not the roommate type, mainly because they're used to only being responsible either to A) themselves and the personal living bubble of space they occupy (and their own set of rules) or B) Their parents, who usually command a certain standard that just isn't present in a college living situation.

He might have felt that his standard of living was being threatened, and instead of handling it like a mature adult and coming to you with the complaints of the practical issues, he complained about them behind your back to let off steam. And the homoerotic comments are, frankly, unacceptable and obviously don't speak well of his character.

Room with the girl! Sounds like a good idea.

Posts: 368 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Look, if you didn't want to have to deal with the harassment, you would just learn how not to be gay.

quote:
On my side of the room I had my sci-fi stuff and Rocky Horror posters, his side had nothing but Bible quotes.
I ..

so

want a picture.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Joldo:
I go to UGA, which tends to be a very conservative Southern university.

I went to UGA and never found it to lean any more right than left. And the town of Athens itself is a very art and music oriented town, and I'd say pulls pretty far left. But the administration on campus is another story. Sorry to hear you have such a crappy roommate. I hope that you find a more pleasant housing situation.
Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

Oh yeah, Ben, Athens leans left. But if you're getting a male random roommate, chances are it's a very conservative country boy. And the administration . . . well, I suppose you know them well enough.

On-campus housing is very frustrating. My rent works out to about $475 a month per person, in a very small space I have little control over and have to share with someone else. Granted, utilities are included--but I could get a three-bedroom off-campus apartment with a few roommates of my choice for about half that (utilities included). I know the idea is that you get involved on campus and so on, but frankly, I don't care about that. I am involved, and I am an adult. I want my space. I hate that my university forces me to pay extra to live in their substandard lodging.

Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like many of these universities need a better questionnaire and less randomness.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
There're plenty of problems with roommates who know each other before they move in, too.

It's to be expected when the vast majority of college freshmen have never lived without parental supervision. They have (for the most part) no idea how to handle disputes, divide up responsibilities, and how to be a courteous roommate.

Some learn quickly, but a lot never do.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.