FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Help me do my church job: b/w art

Author Topic: Help me do my church job: b/w art
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
I just got a new calling, and I'm trying to do a better job on it than I did on my last two callings. (Three, if you count Young Women's Camp back in '01, where there was a whole lot of unChristlike behavior, most of which I committed personally. Let's just say that I don't do well with "rough" camping, since if I have to go without sleeping or bathing for more than two days, I become a very nasty person.)

So, now I get to design the programs for weekly church services. The programs are photocopied, so I need some images that will look good in black and white, preferably line drawings or engravings. Most people that have done this job just use color images, but I don't think that looks very good once it's photocopied. Does anyone know of some good images that I could use?

I'm LDS, so anything from the Bible, Book of Mormon, etc. would be good, just so long as it will look nice and clear as a black and white photocopy.

Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
All the sites with images I know of that might work are copyrighted images; i.e., images that have not been freely released to the public. I'll go looking for others, though.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I often download images from the church website. They have the complete Gospel art kit. When I print them I use b/w mode. You have to fiddle a bit - sometimes "draft" is better than "best" and sometimes the dot count is... thingy. Experiment with your master before you make up the final.

MS photo editor has some effects, but I've never wound up using any of them.

Also, I try to make an attributive note on artwork I use. It may not actually be covering me legally, but I think it's nice if someone knows where to find more of something. If it's not the whole image, I can say "Detail of Jesus at the pool of Bethesda by Bloch" or whatever.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

LDS Clip Art is only $7.99 to download 456 images.

---

Edited to add: "Many of the drawings are in color, but all are suitable for either black and white or color printers."

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

About.com has an article on Part 1: How to use the Church's online magazines to find LDS Clipart. I don't know if the LDS Church considers those copyrighted, though.

---

Edited to add:

LDS images that are free for non-commercial use can be found at LDS Images. This includes 58 clip art items.

---

YW Clip Art and Fonts, available for free download.

---

More LDS image galleries from About.com

[ November 09, 2007, 11:06 AM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Threads
Member # 10863

- posted      Profile for Threads   Email Threads         Edit/Delete Post 
These aren't LDS specific but I found this site from a google search. I don't know if it will help or not.
Posts: 1327 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
I think all the images from LDS Church sources (magazines, etc.) are free for church or personal use. About.com has copyright notices for the stuff they have - whether it comes from the Church or private sources.
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.