FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Woman Catholic Priests to be Ordained at local Synagogue (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Woman Catholic Priests to be Ordained at local Synagogue
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
So you're saying that the Catholic Church is as officially a supporter of unionization as it is opposed to female clergy?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Unionization involves a lot more than paying a wage that acknowledges the dignity of the worker. That's how unions present themselves, but they are a service business as surely as a bank is. I am interested to know whether the Church actually supports Unions or would encourage employers to provide livable wages.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
I've read that unions are often major stockholders in the corporations their employees work for.

That's teh smart.

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

I think you mean their members - the employees are employed by the companies. Just sayin'.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
It depends on the criteria you are using. It isn't really easily quantifiable. The policy on unions is certainly "younger" only a bit over 100 years old.

Pooka, does this help?

quote:
The Church fully supports the right of workers to form
unions or other associations to secure their rights to fair
wages and working conditions. This is a specific application
of the more general right to associate. In the words of
Pope John Paul II, "The experience of history teaches that
organizations of this type are an indispensable element of
social life, especially in modern industrial societies."
Economic Justice for All #104
Pastoral Letter on Catholic Social Teaching and the
U.S. Economy, U. S. Catholic Bishops, 1986

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

Sure, thanks.
kmbboots
Member # 8576

It makes sense if you look at the history of unions and their relationship to waves of immigrants from Catholic countries and the exploitation of those workers.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
"I think you mean their members - the employees are employed by the companies. Just sayin'."

Heaven only knows why you thought that needed clarifying. Were you being funny?

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Just an update on the actual story that started this all.

The women went through with the ceremony and by Monday 99% of the press were considering it a closed story.

Then Arch Bishop Burke demanded that the women present themselves to a Tribunal of faith.

Instead of letting this story die, and the movement slowly starve for want of attention, it seems the ArchBishop is giving his foes just what they want, another round of publicity, all in order that he can flex his liturgical muscles and punish the wrongdoers.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eowyn-sama
Member # 11096

- posted      Profile for Eowyn-sama   Email Eowyn-sama         Edit/Delete Post 
So it sounds like he's proceeding with his threat to excommunicate. I'd think less of him if he didn't.
Posts: 96 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Instead of letting this story die, and the movement slowly starve for want of attention, it seems the ArchBishop is giving his foes just what they want, another round of publicity, all in order that he can flex his liturgical muscles and punish the wrongdoers.
Gee, someone might think he cares more about something other than what would be most expedient in the press.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

quote:
Originally posted by steven:
"I think you mean their members - the employees are employed by the companies. Just sayin'."

Heaven only knows why you thought that needed clarifying. Were you being funny?

No, just a tad hyperliteral. But it if made you laugh, that's okay too.

Unions do seem to be exeriencing a resurgence in immigrant labor.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

For anyone interested in the extent of Catholic social teaching, the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops published Forming Consciences for Faithful Citizenship: A Call to Political Responsibility from the Catholic Bishops of the United States yesterday.

Here's a WashPost article summarizing parts of it.

Edited to change the first link to the actual document.

[ November 15, 2007, 12:00 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

Dagonee, do you have an link to the the actual document? I haven't been able to find it or even a good summary of it on the web.

Edit: Nevermind. Here is is:

http://www.usccb.org/faithfulcitizenship/

(honestly, it wasn't there a few minutes ago...)

dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.usccb.org/bishops/FCStatement.pdf
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I edited my original post - the first link was intended to be a link to the original, but I pasted the wrong link in.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.