FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Need help with my resume. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Need help with my resume.
Sala
Member # 8980

- posted      Profile for Sala           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Morbo. Make another red heading called "Skills" and put your background items 2-7 under it. They aren't objectives.
Posts: 315 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean
Member # 689

- posted      Profile for Sean   Email Sean         Edit/Delete Post 
You do need to lose the web link. It's not demonstrating any skills yet I wouldn't assume any CS student either had or could figure out quickly anyway. Once it does, the picture, FAQ, blog and reference to Hatrack are not going to help you.

And yeah, most of the objectives should be under "Skills" or something like that.

Posts: 148 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
hmm so far the job people, and my teachers seem to think the updated version of my resume is okay, just needs my cell.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adfectio
Member # 11070

- posted      Profile for adfectio   Email adfectio         Edit/Delete Post 
Blayne, about the only advice I can give you is to put as many references on there as possible. Good ones, of course, but if I were hiring, and I saw, 'references available upon request', I'd probably toss the resume. If they have 100+ to go through, and you have a short resume telling them they have to do extra effort to get all your information, especially information you know they'll want, then that would be a downside for me. However, that may be a personal thing.

pdf format is a must. Use Google Docs, if you must, it's free, and you already have a gmail account, so why not?

And please, I mean this in the nicest way, but if you're trying to appear professional, don't list your homepage that starts out "Hullo, this is my homepage." with a picture of a cluttered workspace.

I don't mean to offend you in anyway, those are just things I noticed after looking through.

Posts: 349 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I was told not to list references on a resume, and that "references available on request" was just automatically understood. Then again, I have trouble fitting my resume on one page.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I do it to save space, pretty much everyone I talk to says the same theyre arent exactly 100 people competing for these jobs.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't matter if there are a hundred applicants or six. If there's only five jobs available, you don't want to be the resume that gets thrown away.

Or better yet, don't just try to sneak by. Build your resume as if there are a thousand applicants and only one position available. Regardless, you need it to be the best it can.

Personally, I just attach a second page with references and all their contact information. And as I learned recently, their hours of availability can be useful too. This way it doesn't take up resume-space and they don't have to request it.

At this age, a one page resume is what you should be aiming for but make that one page count. Don't leave any space at the bottom. Be detailed and include anything that makes you look good. Coursework, school clubs, volunteer work. Even if its a menial job, you can make it sound like you learned something from it. I worked a movie theatre through high school and part of college and no, it doesn't look good on paper. But I did develop good cash-handling and telephone skills and picked up alot of extra responsibilities because my boss trusted me. And today I just signed on at a bookstore because it saw that I am quick to train and capable in sales. They're already talking about multiple promotions in the upcoming months if I live up to my resume. I'm not saying to over-dramatize any minimum wage job but don't be afraid to promote yourself. If you do it well, you come off as professional, intelligent, and determined.

My dad does alot of hiring as part of his job and he always says that the style and effort put in a resume can speak volumes more than the words themselves.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholar
Member # 9232

- posted      Profile for scholar   Email scholar         Edit/Delete Post 
What do you do if you can't find an old boss's contact info (or if the boss is dead)?
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
hmm so far the job people, and my teachers seem to think the updated version of my resume is okay, just needs my cell.

If you didn't want Hatrack's advice, why did you ask for it?
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I do a one-page resume with attached letters of recommendation.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Fusiachi:
(I endorse the PDF idea. It gives you control of your document's presentation, independent of the platform on which it is viewed. All of the elements are fixed, and PDF is a well-supported format.)

Just be sure to warn people when you link them to one...

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by scholar:
What do you do if you can't find an old boss's contact info (or if the boss is dead)?

I've had that issue before... How can I be expected to know the address and phone number of an employer I had ten years ago? Besides, my boss back then isn't working there anymore; he's in jail (I'm not kidding about that). If they call my employers back then, they'd probably get a resounding "who?"

Honestly, and I ask this to those of you that do actual hiring: do you go through the effort of calling references? And what if you left your past employers in not-so-favorable circumstances (which has been the story of my life)? I certainly don't want my potential new employer calling an old nemesis.

quote:
I do a one-page resume with attached letters of recommendation.
I've tried to fit my resume on to one page; it ain't happening unless I use a font size of three. Heck, my primary resume is three pages, but that's what I get for twenty years in the industry; the way I see it, if I didn't have three pages, what was I doing with my life?
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.