FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » James Marsters, painted green and wearing a turban.

Author Topic: James Marsters, painted green and wearing a turban.
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Really.
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
The link doesn't go anywhere for me.
Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I am traumatized for life.

Why? WHY?

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Works for me. OMG, they're making a live action Dragon Ball movie? Blech.
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
There is no god. This is proof.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Man, I was hoping for a picture!
Also, the fact that Stephen Chow is involved adds some hope that this could actually not suck.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by pH:
I am traumatized for life.

Why? WHY?

-pH

overrr

niiinnee

THOUUSAAAAAAAAANNNNNNDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
I have decided to resort to incredibly optimistic faith that this will be a good movie. Kind of like what I feel right before I buy a scratch-off ticket or a lottery ticket, y'know?

Maybe...maybe this will be it!

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by Javert Hugo:
The link doesn't go anywhere for me.

Possibly the site was overloaded at the time you clicked? [Smile]
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by Rakeesh:
I have decided to resort to incredibly optimistic faith that this will be a good movie. Kind of like what I feel right before I buy a scratch-off ticket or a lottery ticket, y'know?

Maybe...maybe this will be it!

Never one to bash other for having faith, I'll allow that there's a slight possibility.

Slight.

Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait... they have twenty-five video games?!?
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Is that all? I'm genuinely surprised it's only 25.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, despite the intense popularity of the whole franchise, it's thoroughly incapable of ever producing a videogame that does not suck. So much so, in fact, that DBZ fans celebrate the creation of merely lukewarm releases.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow... the horror... Hitchcock had nothing on this.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Heh, I've never actually played one of the DB-related games. Not only did I not have a console when I was watching that show, but I knew that any game I saw would be intensely dissatisfying: you just can't do the kinds of things that would make it feel like a DB game.
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Stephen Chow, huh, thats a name I had not expected to encounter on this forum.
Enigmatic, how much of his previous work have you watched/are familiar with?

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
Well at least I won't have to remind myself that he's not Spike every time I see him like I did in Smallville [Smile]
Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
You realize this won't be one movie.

It will be 57.

Each one centered on one long, unending battle, where one unbeatable protaganist reaches impossible level of strength, only to have the otherside do the same.

Dragonball Z ran "I to am not left-handed" into a Cliche.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:
Stephen Chow, huh, thats a name I had not expected to encounter on this forum.
Enigmatic, how much of his previous work have you watched/are familiar with?

Pretty much just Shaolin Soccer and Kung Fu Hustle (unless he was in some miscellaneous other kung fu movies I've seen that didn't stand out as much). But those two movies alone are beyond awesome. Visually, the last match in Shaolin Soccer manages to do everything I'd want to see in a live action DBZ, so I think that's kind of a good sign.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rakeesh:
Is that all? I'm genuinely surprised it's only 25.

I'm just surprised. I know they've had a *few* of them... but 25?

Maybe that just shows my efforts to suppress it's exposure to my child are working.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Enigmatic:

Ah, thats what I guessed. Those are his latest two movies produced with an eye toward crossover appeal in the West. (His previous films rely heavily on Cantonese humour and Chinese culture, aimed at Hong Kong audiences) None of his other movies were marketed much here.

Other good movies of his to check out for a Western audience would be "God of Cookery", "From Beijing with Love, and perhaps "King of Comedy."

That said, Shaolin Soccer and Kungfu Hustle are just the last in a long line of very successful Stephen Chow movies where he is the lead star, producer, and director for the movie (sort of like Jackie Chan for an example more familiar to Western audiences).

Given that he is neither directing or starring in the movie I doubt his involvement in this film is anything major, probably akin to when Hero was marketed in North America as "presented by Tarantino" except this might be a move to appeal to Asian markets.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.