FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hotmail annoyance

Author Topic: Hotmail annoyance
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
So* I still use my old Hotmail account, and a month or so ago it switched over to some new version. Now it only shows 20 messages per page, and there's no easy way to jump from page to page. (It now shows the page options as "1 2 3 ... 89 90 91", and if you then click on the "..." it'll change the display to "4 5 6 ... 89 90 91" -- and there's no way to select, say, page 29.

It used to be that I could choose to display 50 or 100 messages per page and that it was easy to select a page. I can't do that anymore, and there doesn't seem to be any helpful links about how to choose the display options.

I've been waiting to see if this is just some bug they're going to correct... but this is getting too annoying. Does anyone know how to fix this? (I know, I could get a gmail account or somesuch, but don't have the time right now to organize all my old messages and addresses for switching over...)

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
I got too annoyed at Hotmail eventually and switched to gmail. Switching was annoying, although apparently there is a way in gmail to import your entire contacts list from a different address...but I couldn't figure out how to do that.

Gmail is cool. [Smile]

Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
miamiandy
Member # 8906

- posted      Profile for miamiandy   Email miamiandy         Edit/Delete Post 
look into this. G-mail allows you to forward e-mails to it and you can also send e-mail from it as if you were your hotmail. So you can kep the e-mail but switch to gmail.
Posts: 35 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Gmail rawks. I still use hotmail, though, for my spam account, the one I buy things from. Gmail is my friends account. Like, the stuff in there actually has some chance of being from somebody I know. [Smile]
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
I have like 4 gmail accounts.

Buying things
Registering for things
Personal
Business.

Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adfectio
Member # 11070

- posted      Profile for adfectio   Email adfectio         Edit/Delete Post 
Gmail is the thing that got me on the Google fanboy train. I used Hotmail before that, and was tired of always having to make space for everything.

Between that and the label system instead of folders was a huge improvement.

Seriously check out a gmail account. It's as intuitive as any email system could be.

Posts: 349 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. I'm just amazed at how much mail you keep in your inbox.
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
I still use my hotmail for junk and I now use the newer version, but near the top where it displays my usage (You are using 1% of 5 GB), right below it it asks me: "You're using the full version of Windows Live Hotmail. Not fast enough? Try the classic version." One of those words are a button/link to the old version.

On a side note, Gmail rules.

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adfectio
Member # 11070

- posted      Profile for adfectio   Email adfectio         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by FlyingCow:
Wow. I'm just amazed at how much mail you keep in your inbox.

If that was a reference to me, I got rid of Hotmail back when it was still only giving around 200 MB of storage. Gmail was the first one I saw that gave upwards of 1 GB, and I jumped on the chance. I'm the equivalent of and electronic pack-rat, and prefer keeping everything in case I should need to reference it later. I didn't realize Hotmail was giving 5 GB now, not that I'm going to switch back, but that's interesting.
Posts: 349 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xtownaga
Member # 7187

- posted      Profile for xtownaga   Email xtownaga         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by adfectio:
I didn't realize Hotmail was giving 5 GB now

For the record, gmail currently has a maximum capacity of 5058 MB. They've been constantly raising the cap since it was released.
Posts: 187 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
I was specifically referencing the fact that plaid's email mentioned pages "89,90,91".

My first thought was "dear lord, how do you not either delete out the crap or put it in folders?"

Once my email gets to about 3-4 pages, I either toss it out or save it to a specific folder.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
"Electronic packrat" -- um, yeah, usually my inbox is maybe 25% the size it is now, haven't had time in a while to toss out old stuff... and I just don't do the folders thing much, I just organize myself chronologically ("letsee, last heard from them in March I think -- yep, there it is") and that's easier for me than having 50 different folders...

I checked, and the new Windows Live version isn't much better -- it displays 50 messages/page instead of the 25 messages/page like "Classic," but the new one still doesn't let you easily choose an inbox page to jump to.

Anyway... thanks for comments, sad no one's got any solution, I've had other folks urge me to get gmail, so when I get the time I'll clean up my Hotmail inbox and archive it and switch over to gmail.

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.