FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Didn't we just go over this? (Intelligent Design in Florida)

Author Topic: Didn't we just go over this? (Intelligent Design in Florida)
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
This is the greatest example of "those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it" that I have ever seen.

quote:
LAKELAND | A majority of Polk County School Board members say they support teaching intelligent design in addition to evolution in public schools.

Board members Tim Harris, Margaret Lofton and Hazel Sellers said they oppose proposed science standards for Florida schools that lists evolution and biological diversity as one of the "big ideas" that students need to know for a well-grounded science education.

Did they strike down ID in Dover two years ago, or was that a fever dream?
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Did they strike down ID in Dover two years ago, or was that a fever dream?
Without commenting on the merits:

The decision in Dover is not binding on any other court. If the Dover decision was upheld on appeal, it is only binding in the Third Circuit.

It is extremely common for different district courts to reach different conclusions about the law. It is not rare for circuits to do so. So-called "circuit splits" are the most important factor in determining whether a case is taken by the Supreme Court.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

Gotcha. Thanks Dag. But looking at it on the merits, I think my point might just stand.
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the past we might be repeating is less the Dover case than the anti-gay marriage ammendments of 2004. If we see more of these ID situations, I think this may be part of the GOP strategy to get out the Evangelical vote in 2008.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orlox
Member # 2392

- posted      Profile for orlox           Edit/Delete Post 
For anyone who missed it, Nova did a good survey of the Dover trial:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/id/

Posts: 675 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

It was a documentary, not a survey, but yeah it was very well done. Everyone should check it out.
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
Survey can also mean to review or summarize. (i.e. ENGL 2905: Survey of English Literature)
Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

quote:
Originally posted by MattP:
Survey can also mean to review or summarize. (i.e. ENGL 2905: Survey of English Literature)

Well then...I sit corrected. [Razz]
orlox
Member # 2392

survey: 1. to take a general or comprehensive view of or appraise, as a situation, area of study, etc.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/survey

Posts: 675 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orlox
Member # 2392

late post [Smile]
Javert
Member # 3076

OKAY! So I have a deficient vocabulary. Don't rub it in! [Wink]
BlueWizard
Member # 9389

- posted      Profile for BlueWizard   Email BlueWizard         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's the problem, they can make a case for Intelligent Design, though it would certainly be a flawed one, but I highly suspect that it is only their vision of Intelligent Design that would be allowed.

For example, I could make a reasonably good case for intelligent design by saying that it is likely that Space Aliens visted earth many thousands of years ago and saw potential, so they seeded the earth with thier intelligences and that evolved into mankind as we know it today.

So, Space Aliens rather than God, which is a perfectly intelligent Intelligent Design interpretation. And Equally no more provable or disprovable than 'God'.

Do you think the Intelligent Design crowd would accept that particular version in school? I don't think so.

Further, I would actually be for teaching Creationism as a form of philosophy. But once again though, I suspect only their Creation story would be allowed. Now if we are going to teach Creation, then we need to teach the Creation stories of every available culture in the world from primitive to modern. That is Creationism I can get behind.

So, Intelligent Design isn't the belief that some type of intelligence is behind nature, it is the belief that God, and only the Christian God, is behind it all.

Personally, I think Science merely documents the wonders of God. It is only small minded people who can't see that, in my opinion of course.

Steve/bluewizard

Posts: 803 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlueWizard:
So, Space Aliens rather than God, which is a perfectly intelligent Intelligent Design interpretation. And Equally no more provable or disprovable than 'God'

Actually, I'd say its much more provable than "God". We *know* that the Stargate universe is intelligently designed, or at least as intelligently as the realities of episodic television allow for...

Perhaps you're looking for the Chariots of Gods universe in the next aisle over [Wink]

[ November 20, 2007, 11:13 PM: Message edited by: Mucus ]

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, it's Space Aliens all the way down....

Then it's turtles.

Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

I have no problem with them teaching ID. I just have a problem with them teaching it as science.
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's far more likely to have been a Flying Spaghetti Monster, personally. There are so many unrelated things that turn out to be infinitely noodly, like string theory in physics. That's no coincidence.

I think any school that teaches ID has to teach pastafarianism too. And that would be so cool that it would make the ID part okay. [Smile]

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Tatiana on this one. Hands down.

And of course we mustn't forget that you can't properly learn about pastafarianism unless you are dressed in full pirate regalia. I mean, how cool would that be?

Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes.

And having people wear full pirate regalia would help inspire kids to become pirates.

And since global warming is, of course, caused by the lack of pirates, (just look at the stats! As the number of pirates decreased, temperatures increased!, this will also solve the problem of global warming.

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.