FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Best Frozen Pizza? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Best Frozen Pizza?
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Because fresh toppings need their own thread. Hello!
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
I am ambivalent to California Pizza Kitchen, but I hate their logo, as well.

I don't really like frozen pizza as a rule, BUT I really love Trader Joe's frozen petso pizza.

I used to take bobolis and top it with fresh tomato and provolone before sticking it in the oven - that was fabulous, as well.

Curses on the Red Baron pizzas that were in my freezer growing up. I hates them.

My mom and I make the best pizza from scratch.

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
You have to understand, my husband won't eat frozen pizza because "Mommy's is so much better". So frozen pizza, for me, is a blessed escape.

I love making pizza, and I love cooking, but sometimes I wish I could just pop something in the oven and have done with.

I'm one of those terrible people who kind of likes it when their spouse goes out of town. I miss him, but there's so many foods he hates that we can have. Hamburgers, hot dogs, mac and cheese, fried chicken...

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah! Pooka, that's so true! My husband hates anything out of a can, box, anything frozen, or anything fast food. And I'm not even a good cook! But he never goes out of town, so... *dons apron*
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
If I was dating someone who liked home cooking that much I'd advise them to learn how to cook.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

He CAN cook. Better than me. And he likes it. But he's willing to eat what I make with no complaint, and he has a full time job. (And I mean, literally, NO complaint. He was halfway through a slice of still-raw pizza before I noticed, once. I think it's his way of encouraging my cooking attempts.) But he's honest with me when I ask him what he likes, and I try to be sweet and avoid what he doesn't like. Which, unfortunately, is almost everything. He still eats what's in front of him, though.

edit to add: I think if he openly complained about what I make, I'd be more likely to tell him to make it himself. Perhaps he knows this. [Smile]

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Smart man. [Wink]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
As far as I can tell, all frozen pizza in New Zealand sucks. [Cry]
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Why, exactly, do people hate the CPK logo so much?
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know. It just really bugs me.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
(Maybe part of it is the colors, part the patterns/design, and part the fact that "California" is in all lower case letters, when it should be capitalized, yet "Pizza Kitchen" is in all capitals? Either capitalize it all, capitalize none of it, or capitalize appropriately-- or at least the other way around.)
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EmpSquared
Member # 10890

- posted      Profile for EmpSquared           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by porcelain girl:

I don't really like frozen pizza as a rule, BUT I really love Trader Joe's frozen petso pizza.

The whole time I was reading this thread I was thinking "nobody's going to mention the pesto pizza from TJ's!"

*grumble grumble*

Does anybody here like the actual CPK restaurant? Carne Asada pizza, Adobe Chicken Corn Chowder, Chicken Tequila Fettucine (albeit greasy), all good stuff. Mmmmm... I haven't been in a while.

Posts: 368 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Ick, ick, ick, ick. And as I mentioned I hate their restaurant design, too.
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
(Maybe part of it is the colors, part the patterns/design, and part the fact that "California" is in all lower case letters, when it should be capitalized, yet "Pizza Kitchen" is in all capitals? Either capitalize it all, capitalize none of it, or capitalize appropriately-- or at least the other way around.)

Yeesh - you're a modern graphic designer's nightmare!
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
I've recently ventured into frozen pizza land and have tried two kinds so far. Digiorno's wasn't that great and tasted like a frozen pizza. It kind of reminded me of a large scale bagel bite. Last night I had Trader Joe's 3 cheese which I was quite impressed with. On top of being cheaper than Digiorno's, the sauce was great and made for a good meal.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by PSI Teleport:
He CAN cook. Better than me. And he likes it. But he's willing to eat what I make with no complaint, and he has a full time job. (And I mean, literally, NO complaint. He was halfway through a slice of still-raw pizza before I noticed, once. I think it's his way of encouraging my cooking attempts.) But he's honest with me when I ask him what he likes, and I try to be sweet and avoid what he doesn't like. Which, unfortunately, is almost everything. He still eats what's in front of him, though.

edit to add: I think if he openly complained about what I make, I'd be more likely to tell him to make it himself. Perhaps he knows this. [Smile]

You have children and cook meals for your husband? Even once a week (or more)? What dimension does your species come from? I think I got one from the "use children as excuse to not do anything" dimension.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

[Big Grin] Your children are still pretty little. I've been there, believe me.
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

I know. I don't mind doing the cooking. It just gets a little old when I do it for months at a time. I also usually work overtime, so I don't come home until late, which means we don't start dinner until really late, since I'm the one cooking it.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pegasus
Member # 10464

- posted      Profile for Pegasus   Email Pegasus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by erosomniac:
Yeesh - you're a modern graphic designer's nightmare!

A former co-worker (graphic design related industry) actually called and made a complaint to a company that changed their logo on his favorite coffee or some-such. The phone operator had no idea how to respond to it. [Big Grin]
Posts: 369 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
I could eat Freschetta's four-cheese pizza everyday.
Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sterling:

They don't know what pizza is in New Zealand. My friend Nikki was staying with friends in New Zealand and they got a "pizza." She was horrified, and showed them what an American Pizza is like. They were in sacred awe.
Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

All of Trader Joe's frozen pizzas are pretty good, actually.

We use to get frozen CPK's every so often, but then I got two in a row that didn't rise. Never again.

As to their logo, I just don't find traffic yellow with black palm trees to be appetizing. AND the checkered tablecloth effect? It just looks more like a rollerblade rental than something to eat. The capitalization issues don't bother, just the design quality on the whole. Mediocre, and off putting.

If I were hungry and there was a CPK pizza in my freezer, I would still eat it, though.

BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Freschettas is probably my #1 choice, however my cooking record of them is infamous. (Yes I can wreck a frozen pizza... all one has to do is leave the cardboard on the bottom)

I too have secret Totinos/Jeno's cravings I love them cooked on the rack with a crispy crust. Although they just had a recall, so I would wait a month or so before buying any. http://www.totinos.com/faq.htm

And, I like Red Baron French Bread pizza. It's best if cooked in a toaster oven, something about cooking it in a toaster oven makes it taste much better than if cooked in a regular oven.

*confession*... I haven't tried every frozen pizza in the store, but I did buy every variety of Salisbury Steak TV dinner in a store once to decide which I liked best....

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
quote:
Why even try with the frozen ones, when a Boboli bread pizza takes aproximatly the same time and tastes fresh?
Well, for one thing, Totino's costs ninety-nine cents. [Smile]
But, LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO EAT CHEAP CHEESE!
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I want a Totino's. Right now.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

quote:
I know. I don't mind doing the cooking. It just gets a little old when I do it for months at a time. I also usually work overtime, so I don't come home until late, which means we don't start dinner until really late, since I'm the one cooking it.
Well, now that you've said that, I'll tell you that the one thing that puts the fire in my pants is seeing my husband start cooking (or doing dishes) when I know I should have. I used to get irrationally guilty over it, even in the days just after having a baby. Not to compare myself to Jess, I just have an unhealthy guilt complex. Sometimes I think my Jes would rather have a mentally stable wife than one who cooks. [Smile]
Lostincyberspace
Member # 11228

- posted      Profile for Lostincyberspace   Email Lostincyberspace         Edit/Delete Post 
what ever is cheapest.
Posts: 30 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
CPK thin crust.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by porcelain girl:
quote:
Originally posted by Sterling:

They don't know what pizza is in New Zealand. My friend Nikki was staying with friends in New Zealand and they got a "pizza." She was horrified, and showed them what an American Pizza is like. They were in sacred awe.
That pretty much sums up pizzas here, too. Only I haven't made real (to me, which is not necessarily American, since I've never had pizza in the US) pizza here, so, you know, they're still all in the dark.

The frozen pizza here sucks. So so so very badly. Dominoes was... okay. For a while, when it first opened. Now it bites so bad. And you know what they use for sausage on their pizza? Hot dogs. Cut up, but still.... They have no clue. *shakes head* [Cry]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm really glad that there are other people who actually *like* totino's and don't just eat it solely because it's cheap.

My hubby hates it, and doesn't understand how I can be so happy to have it sometimes. If he wants something frozen that I don't like, I just say That's okay! I'll have one of those cheap frozen pizzas! Yum!

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.reuters.com/article/consumerproducts-SP/idUSN0145450220071102
This says a lot [Smile] .

Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't eat pepperoni! [Smile] And haven't have a totino's in quite a while.
Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

Last night a friend and I split Trader Joe's 3 cheese pizza. AWESOME.

[Party]

Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I could eat Freschetta's four-cheese pizza everyday.
Ditto.
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have this weird frozen pizza thing, but I do have moments when I really, really want canned tamales -- the kind wrapped in paper with the vivid orange-red sauce.
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I could name my favorite brands of frozen pizza, but only like three Hatrackers would even have heard of them. [Razz]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

quote:
Originally posted by Primal Curve:

Crockpot. I do most of our cooking and I work full time. Sometimes I only have an hour before I have to be back at church for meetings or whatever, so the crockpot is really handy to have food ready when I get home.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer to use a crackpot. The food (when it actually appears) usually isn't very good, but the recounting of all the conspiracies that led to whatever failed or succeeded in the making of the dish are often quite entertaining.
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

quote:
Originally posted by dkw:
Crockpot. I do most of our cooking and I work full time. Sometimes I only have an hour before I have to be back at church for meetings or whatever, so the crockpot is really handy to have food ready when I get home.

That would be cool, but it would mean the food sitting for about 11 hours.
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
I have a crockpot that has cooking settings up to 10 hrs, and it will automatically stay on warm for hours after that. (I think it's a Rival -- I'll check.)

I'm still learning how to use the crockpot. I have a longer history with freezing things I've prepared in advance. I don't do the commercial frozen-meal-prep-places, but I think some Hatrackers have had excellent results there.

---

I'm sorry it has been so difficult for you. Sounds like you are working really nasty hours!

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Yep. I have some recipes that I put in the night before so they are ready for lunch. That's about 16 hours. That sort of thing is what crockpots are designed for.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

CT, the one with the digital timer? That's a Rival CrockPot SmartPot with Digital Timer. [Smile] I have one too and adore it.
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

I have a 3.5-quart Rival crockpot that was about $25 on sale at a hardware store. It isn't fancy [re-edited: yes, it isn't fancy after all [Blushing] ], but the outside stays cool to the touch, and the inner cooking stoneware is removable and can be put in the dishwasher.

It can be set for one of 4 settings: 4 or 6 hours on "high," or 8 or 10 hours on "low." After that, it automatically switches itself to "warm" and keeps food at a safe temperature to avoid spoilage. The brochure recommends leaving it at "warm" for no more than 4 hrs, but I think don't it shuts itself off at that point. I've never tested that part.

---

Edited to add: Yes, ketchupqueen, I think that's it. [Smile] [Actually, no -- see below.]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by dkw:
I want a Totino's. Right now.

I've got three in my freezer right now. Three Cheese, Combination, and Classic Pepperoni, take your pick. [Smile]

For $1 you can't beat Totinos.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Don't forget the recent recall on pepperoni Totino's, BlackBlade. There was an E.coli problem, and it may be worth checking out before you eat it. I think the recall was linked above.

---
PS: Dibs on the three-cheese.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh, that's the regular SmartPot. I have one of those, too (available regularly for $30 at Target, I just got one with a rebate that made it $25), but they also make ones with a digital timer (I got one for a wedding gift) that costs about $10 more and you can set to "Low," "High," or "Warm" and then set the time in 30 minute increments up to either 10 or 12 hours (I forget, since I rarely cook anything more than 9 hours) and then it switches to "Warm." It does not switch off after 4 hours on "Warm." But if you have had it cooking all day "Warm" is usually actually hot enough to keep it boiling/steaming (and therefore inhibiting germ growth.)
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

That sounds cool, kq.

[Er, make that "hot." [Wink] ]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

(Oh, and my new SmartPot also came with a mini crockpot for dips and sauces inside as a free bonus. The smaller SmartPots-- I got the big one-- were available with a free insulated travel carrier for going to potlucks.

Target is going to have 1 Qt. CrockPots on for $15 on Fri. and Sat., and you can buy it now and then price match it then...)

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

(Sorry for going on about CrockPots in the pizza thread so much. I just really love them. I taught a class for a Relief Society activity a few months back and everyone loved it. Especially the food afterward. I have lots of favorite recipes if anyone ever needs any.)
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ClaudiaTherese:
Don't forget the recent recall on pepperoni Totino's, BlackBlade. There was an E.coli problem, and it may be worth checking out before you eat it. I think the recall was linked above.

---
PS: Dibs on the three-cheese.

A SUSPECTED E Coli problem, [Wink]

Also Totinos has "pepperoni" and "classic pepperoni" I wonder which one was at risk. Looks like I'll be going with combination tonight, but oh I forgot Mrs. BB is making dinner tonight so I don't need to lose sleep over any of this. [Big Grin]

Thanks for the mention of the link above though, totally missed it.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.