FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Do any of you folks have high-powered lasers?

Author Topic: Do any of you folks have high-powered lasers?
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm thinking about buying one to toy around with, thinking about getting one in the 75-350 mW range. Do you have fun with them? What's a good company to buy from?
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
Who doesn't have high-powered lasers?
Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
thinking about getting one in the 75-350 mW range.
That's not exactly "high powered." There are laser pointers in the 100mW range and 350mW is still something you can run off of AA batteries.

What color are you looking for? What kind of "playing around" do you want to do?

Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll take whatever color I can get. I figured I might buy a few little mirrors and play with reflecting angles and stuff.

I'd like to get something that has a beam visible in broad daylight, but those tend to be too powerful, right?

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lostincyberspace
Member # 11228

- posted      Profile for Lostincyberspace   Email Lostincyberspace         Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing is ever to powerful.
Posts: 30 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saephon
Member # 9623

- posted      Profile for Saephon   Email Saephon         Edit/Delete Post 
"Peter, with great lasers comes....well at that point, you can have anything you want really. Go get 'em tiger."
Posts: 349 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

The visibility is going to be determined by a combination of the power output and the color. Green is much more visible to the human eye than red is so a 100mw green will appear substantially brighter than a 100mw red. Green lasers are also very expensive, costing several times as much as red lasers of a similar power output.

These guys carry several models in the range you are looking at, with prices ranging from a couple hundred to nearly two thousand dollars:
http://www.wickedlasers.com/index.php

[ November 22, 2007, 10:45 PM: Message edited by: MattP ]

Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starsnuffer
Member # 8116

- posted      Profile for Starsnuffer   Email Starsnuffer         Edit/Delete Post 
I've looked at getting a powerful laser before, and decided that anything powerful enough to be really cool would also be really dangerous, as in, it glances over your eyes and causes at least SOME damage... Does anyone know at what point a laser becomes a genuine hazard, even if you're attempting to be careful (but not wearing eye protection)
Posts: 655 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
Get a green laser, I love those.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

[quote] Does anyone know at what point a laser becomes a genuine hazard, even if you're attempting to be careful (but not wearing eye protection)[quote]Even the 5mw laser pointers could cause damage given enough direct exposure on your eye. As the power goes up the amount of time necessary to cause damage goes down.
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
The JLA took away my high-powered lasers after I held the world hostage from my orbiting crime base.
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.