FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Big Music

Author Topic: Big Music
JumboWumbo
Member # 10047

- posted      Profile for JumboWumbo   Email JumboWumbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Because I'm so particular with what I'm able to listen to, I'll begin with a broad question, as opposed to something people might not be able to answer. Are there any sites that people have found that are good for finding music? I use allmusic.com, but it just seems lacking, in that I can't listen to all the artists, and unless it's something I know I'd like to listen to, I'm uneasy buying the CD. Any good sites/forums people know of that they've had a good experience with would be great. (I think site recommendations might be good for other posters to, as I know I'm not the first to post questions about finding music.)

And more specifically, I'm looking for two types of music. One, which I don't expect people to really help me with, is a style that's relaxing, almost folk, without sounding too folk, i.e. no country voice, slightly alternative, and acoustic (if anyone here listens to Rocky Votolato, that's exactly what I'm talking about.) And secondly, I really like World music, though I don't know of any artists other than Sergio Mendes. I like foreign music that sounds big, epic, and grandiose. Something completely climactic (e.g. Moby, some Coldplay, and Daft Punk).

Posts: 213 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
www.beatlesradio.com
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you'll find a wide array of acoustic folk music on youtube. There seems no end to it there.

Another source that's getting better is itunes music store, but their main strength is probably classical (easier to get a selection of recordings). All the research I've done in the last year was aided by the fact that itunes carries up to 50 recordings of most important classical pieces, and many that are less well known.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
http://worldmusic.nationalgeographic.com/worldmusic/view/page.basic/media
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been using garageband.com a fair amount recently, and they tend to have some pretty good artists across a lot of different genres. At the very least, I'd say that it's definitely worth checking out.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Philosofickle
Member # 10993

- posted      Profile for Philosofickle           Edit/Delete Post 
www.pandora.com
Posts: 208 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EmpSquared
Member # 10890

- posted      Profile for EmpSquared           Edit/Delete Post 
Your inclination towards folk sounds a lot like mine a few years ago. I'm not sure if I can recommend a place that you can search for that kind of thing, but I personally recommend Iron and Wine, Sufjan Stevens, Joanna Newsom, Jose Gonzalez, Elliot Smith, Devendra Banhart, Will Oldham, Nick Drake... all of whom I would recommend over Rocky Votolato.

And if you want to read reviews check out metacritic.com. Just take the reviews lightly. Places like pitchforkmedia.com have a standard that is both high and peculiar.

Posts: 368 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JumboWumbo
Member # 10047

- posted      Profile for JumboWumbo   Email JumboWumbo         Edit/Delete Post 
I love Iron and Wine, Elliott Smith, and Nick Drake. I would have to say that I do prefer Smith over Votolato, but not the other two. I'll definitely be checking out the other ones as well. And thanks everyone for the sites. I'll look into them.
Posts: 213 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Flying Dracula Hair
Member # 10155

- posted      Profile for The Flying Dracula Hair   Email The Flying Dracula Hair         Edit/Delete Post 
For a folky rec I can't and won't stop putting Jim White.

As for exotic folk, try Fela Kuti. And though only some artists have a "big" sound, I'd recommend poking around at http://www.LuakaBop.com (where you can also find Jim)

And if you want to sample anything, I find most of the time someone's put it up on MySpace.

Posts: 299 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JumboWumbo
Member # 10047

I've found a lot of good music since yesterday, and finding tunes I acually enjoy is one of the most rewarding feelings, at least for me.

Some of the artists I found were Ashton Allen, Damien Rice and Nouvelle Vague, among other. Pandora is really helpful, and I wish I would have found it long ago. I'm going to have so much fun finding good stuff on there.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.