FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Yay! Dungeons and Dragons! I think...? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Yay! Dungeons and Dragons! I think...?
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dan_Frank:
But otherwise, it seems like you're being a hypocrite.

That's a little rude.

I wasn't making a criticism, I do the same thing. I'm just entertained when other people and me are willing to suspend disbelief of entirely fantastical things, while looking askance at more mundane problems.

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by JonHecht:
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
My Dwarf is also afraid of water, hence the jump.

Speaking of Dragonlance, you stole that.
[Blushing]

DM: "He's a Dwarf that's afraid of water, the irony is: He lives in WaterDeep"

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MightyCow:
quote:
Originally posted by Dan_Frank:
But otherwise, it seems like you're being a hypocrite.

That's a little rude.

I wasn't making a criticism, I do the same thing. I'm just entertained when other people and me are willing to suspend disbelief of entirely fantastical things, while looking askance at more mundane problems.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be rude. It's just an attitude I have encountered before, which irks me.

Just because I accept magic and goblins and yuan-ti, doesn't mean I accept that a greatsword weighs 15 pounds. Some things are just too fantastical to swallow

Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
It's rather amusing. Especially since he can jump slightly farther than he can move in a round, which means (according to the rules) that he actually spends one full round suspended in mid-air before landing. [Smile]

Wouldn't it be more accurate to say that he uses a move action in one round to start the jump, then a move action in another round to finish? That'd still leave him with a standard action in the second round.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
KoM, just so you know-- technically, the monk's special abilities are not supernatural.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shepherd
Member # 7380

- posted      Profile for Shepherd           Edit/Delete Post 
I hereby give you the greatest tank of all time.

Halfgiant Souldblade withe Monkey Grip feat.

Meaning= You can use huge weapons with no penalties, oh and you make your own huge blade with your mind, blacksmiths are for fools.

Oh, and multi class into barbarian afer a few levels, for the d12 hit dice and rage. then alternate between soulblade and barbarian.

Posts: 242 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Scott R:
KoM, just so you know-- technically, the monk's special abilities are not supernatural.

Well, not the ones that make a monk jump farther.
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Looks like were one member down, our DM has removed one player from the group (not me yay!) reasons confuse me sort of, just didn't like how he played in general it seems, kinda sad realy but i think we have enough players.
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Gosh. What kind of social outcast do you have to be to have the RPG nerds ask you to bug off?

[Smile]

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

quote:
Looks like were one member down, our DM has removed one player from the group (not me yay!) reasons confuse me sort of, just didn't like how he played in general it seems, kinda sad realy but i think we have enough players.

I had something similar happen to me. I'm not a big fan of DMs who don't like to work with their players.

Fortunately, my current DM has a good head on his shoulders and everyone I play with likes me. I'm still scratching my head over getting kicked out of the other game. It's caused a small amount of strife within the group of friends that plays together because just about everyone except the DM and his wife think kicking me out was a big pile of horse hockey.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

You know I was reading this, and I was like "huh, that sucks why the heck was he kicked from that other group?!" Then I read the OP was PC and my mind had a momentarily double take [Big Grin]

Basically I am unsure of what exactly caused it, its not just the DM at least 1 other person I talked to explain it a bit about how the kicked player was also cocky and spoke out of character alot, sucks losing the rogue but I hope its all okay and not something sneaky or conspiratal in nature.

Hmm, is there an unspolen rule among DM's to do town quests until level 4?

Basically this person I'm acquainted with commented that my current campaign follows the unspoken rule, since he says that if you leave the town/city when your below level 4 your automatically dead, how accurate is this?

TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think there's any rule along those lines that I've ever run into. However, there is a general understanding that for the first couple levels characters tend to be very limited in their abilities, and this limit possible encounters.

Once you've got a few levels under your belt suddenly you have at least a handful of spells and abilities at your disposal that make you more versatile and more able to cope with varying encounters.

For example: at lvl 1 your fighter is really not that much better in combat than your mager or rogue (i.e. 1-2 hits and you're probably dead) and those two castings of magic missile or whatever aren't going to get you far. but at level 3, 4, 5 you have a few decent skills, some spells, better combat abilities, probably some better equipment etc...

I actually haven't started a campaign at lower than lvl 3 since middle school actually because we don't like dealing with the "infant" phase of character development.

That being said, I've also played with a party of 1st level characters that went dungeon crawling, but two of them died and there was no convenient way for the DM to do anything about it. Wheras when you're at least near civilization there's always a chance to medivac your wounded companions to the nearest temple, or that some wandering paladin will grant you aid...

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, if people got kicked out for talking out of character none of the D&D groups I've been in would have had anybody left after the first hour of each session. We always seemed slow to get into the game, and had a period of catching up with each other about other stuff first.

quote:
Hmm, is there an unspolen rule among DM's to do town quests until level 4?

Basically this person I'm acquainted with commented that my current campaign follows the unspoken rule, since he says that if you leave the town/city when your below level 4 your automatically dead, how accurate is this?

This is the first I've ever heard of that. It's something that would seem to depend entirely on the campaign world and the DM. If your DM's setting is such that outside of cities is all untamed wilderness full of monsters instead of conveniently-scaled encounters with groups of no more than 4 goblins, then yeah, stay in town.

I'd think it's more a rule of playing in games starting out in big detailed cities like Waterdeep: Nothing sucks like having tons of city source material and fleshed-out NPCs when the players say "We're done buying stuff so let's get out of town and see what's in that forest!"

Meanwhile, I've run plenty of campaigns where the "city adventuring" part is far more fatal than your typical dungeon crawling. YMMV.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

quote:
You know I was reading this, and I was like "huh, that sucks why the heck was he kicked from that other group?!" Then I read the OP was PC and my mind had a momentarily double take [Big Grin]

What do you mean by this?
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I was making a joke at the expense of our usually animosity, hence the smiley.
Lostincyberspace
Member # 11228

- posted      Profile for Lostincyberspace   Email Lostincyberspace         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish I could find a group of people to play around me. I cant find anyone that has enough time to do it.
Posts: 30 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
if people got kicked out for talking out of character none of the D&D groups I've been in would have had anybody left after the first hour of each session.
if people got kicked out for talking out of character none of the D&D groups I've been in would have been even remotely fun.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I think its more then a simple matter fo speaking OOC, being my only session with them thus far, I have no idea how he may have acted last sessiion that in tandem would result in his kicking, its confusing but I wont lose sleep over it.
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
"My elf stands still when the god that commands him gets a snack."
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.