FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » From Horrible on the Way to Fantastic...

Author Topic: From Horrible on the Way to Fantastic...
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Hatrack!

Lurkers, Posters, Addicts... all 'a y'all!!!

So - Here's a little story. Read if you want, hit backspace or whatever you do to go back if you don't!

Almost two months ago (September 8th to be precise) I got into a car accident (with myself and a guardrail) and I was for sure, 100% certain that that was it. All I was trying to do was drive up to Baltimore for a Red Sox game... I was missing my Sox after moving down below that fickle Mason-Dixon line about a year ago and Baltimore was the place for me to get my fix! After a crazy night the night before (read: calls after midnight from your little brother relaying some silliness involving law enforcement are generally not fun calls to receive), I was in the home stretch of my drive... Then about 60 miles outside Baltimore, in some no-man's land almost between Virginia and West Virginia, Falcor (my trusty Honda Accord, 1999, black, beautiful and missed *shed tears now*) almost got sucked into a field on the right... Sparing the details of the mess that ensued (I'm talking, swerving, spinning, seeing the proverbial yellow light then just letting go and letting ...), I, or we, bounced off the guardrail and back across the traffic to the other side of the road. Know how people talk about how it's in slow motion and yet you see so much in no time? Well - now I know what that means.

Anywhooo - realize that I'm alive still, park the car and of COURSE I grab my day planner to ask the guy who stopped for his information. Anyway - get to B-more in time to see the O's beat the Sox (obviously, considering the way my day was going) and try to remember to breathe...

Now for the fun insurance stuff... Luckily when I moved from Boston I opted for the 'up to 30 dollars a day rental coverage' (side-note: no idea why because that's SO not something i'd typically do) so that helped. Hectic, crazy, they tell me the car's totaled and I'm like WHOAHAHAHAHAAAA! (yeah, crying on the phone with the insurance rep like, what do you MEAN my car's totaled?!). Enter brain stress re: having to find a new car and FAST.

As if that weren't enough, I also had to travel for work the following week. So - I try to deal with my wiener of a boss (because the workaholic that i am i felt the need to get to work on monday) and he's all extra unsympathetic and ridiculously callous and plain old stupid. That's sort of unnecessary for me to say but it helps to convey the crapola I was dealing with at the time. So - I had to travel back to Bean (where corporate is) for work during the time I had the rental and had to sign paperwork in Baltimore (oh, I live in NC so it's not like 'right down the road') and yada yada yada. I forgo the comfort of a plane and decide to drive so that I can get all the signing that needs to be done done and then proceed with purchasing a new vehicle.

Get to Boston... and aforementioned DINKLEBERRY of a boss decides he's going to (after three days of me being there, after me going through a whole meeting discussing a new process they want to bring in, after me calling all sorts of people and trying to get answers to the questions they have) tell me that, you know, thanks for my service for the past 6 years but, well, peace.

Enter brain stress #2. Hmmm - Now I have no job. Great. Love it.

Anyway - I'm a pretty rational woman (most of the time ; ) ) so I'll spare you the moments of irrational freak-out and just let you know that...

I got a car, within a week and Swift Wind and I have become wonderfully acquainted in the past two months. Same make and model, just a different year and a different color. I'll be working part time staring next week while I figure out the next big step for me and interviewing where ever the wind takes me in the meantime. AND THE COOLEST PART!!! is that since I had been a slave to my job for the past 6 years, theirs was the computer I'd been using. And now... I HAVE A NEW ONE AND IT'S ALL MINE AND I LOVE IT!

MAC RULES.

That is all. Thanks for reading if you did.

Anybody else got any stories of things that TOTALLY sucked and then worked themselves out?

~cmc

Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. That's quite the story. I'm glad you're okay after the crash, and that you're feeling good about the way your life is headed. [Smile]
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll second that!

In terms of the next big step, what are you thinking?

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

Thanks, ElJay! : )

Thanks, Noemon! : ) I'm thinking a whole lot of things... most of them include moving even more South.

Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
You have time to write really long stories now that you're unemployed, I notice. [Wink]
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

*blushes* Uhhhmmm... yup. ; )
cmc
Member # 9549

Alright. I just opened the printer. It's ridiculous. It does so much stuff I don't even know what to do with myself right now. The living room is in shambles as I try to figure out how to get all this ridiculously fantastically cool stuff set up before I start school (again) in the Spring.

I'm slightly flabbergasted right now.

pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
That's great. I wish I had the guts to name my cars.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

Can you explain what you mean about having the guts to name your cars, please?
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
As long as they don't tell you to kill people.

So how are things going?

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.