FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Huckabee takes Republican lead Nationally (page 2) (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Huckabee takes Republican lead Nationally (page 2)
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
If people don't try to trade in a way that reflects reality, they are either unable to make trades or they lose money. That's a pretty good reason.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I caught about 20 minutes of the republican debate on the radio this morning and much to my shock, I was impressed with Huckabee.

As I'm sure most of you Hatrackers are aware, my politics are typically a bit to the left of Karl Marx. I am usually disgusted or even outraged by most of what republican politicians have to say. I haven't really paid much attention to Huckabee. What I knew about him was that he was once a baptist minister, a former govenor of Arkansas, a supporter of the Iraq war and that he was really popular with Christian Conservatives. I'd lumped him in the same category with Jerry Fallwell and Pat Roberson whose politics I generally find deplorable. I figured he might be popular with the religious right but would never be appeal to appeal to moderates and swing voters.

Well I was wrong about Huckabee. The rest of the republican candidates more or less lived up to what I expected and as usual I was disgusted and a bit outraged at much of what they had to say. But Huckabee actually said a number of things that made sense and appealed to me. His comments on climate change, education, the economy and such I found very reasonable.

I still wouldn't say he is my favorite candidate. I do have some serious policy differences with the man. But he is my favorite republican candidate right now. He would still have to do alot to pursuade me to vote republican but I can imagine voting for him under certain circumstances which is more than I can say for any other republican candidate.

My conclusion. I'm not a Huckabee fan but I've changed my mind about whether he is a viable candidate that could win in the general election and not just a darling of the Christian Right.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
His stance on immigration seemed the most Christian to me as well.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I was starting to like Huckabee until I read a Post editorial that quoted the head of the Minutemen project stating that he could have written Huckabee's immigration plan.

Now, I'll definitely read the plan for myself, but I can't imagine liking it with that kind of endorsement. Moreover, the faults I imagine will be significant faults and the plan is likely to be very uncompassionate.

And I had been encouraged by his record on the subject from his time as governor.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Since my previous posts, I've looked at a number of Huckabee websites and I'm a lot less positive now. What's published on his sites just sounds so different from what he was saying in the debate.

The immigration debate Dag mentioned is a good example. From what was said during the debate (much of it in reference to his record as Governor) I was very optomistic. When you look at the details, its alot worse.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
What's he want to do?

McCain seemed more in touch with reality on immigration. Everyone else seems to think they can wave a magic wand and make all the immigrants disappear somehow.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.