FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Mayfly for BannaOj, master animal psychologist

Author Topic: Mayfly for BannaOj, master animal psychologist
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I just wanted to let you know that the idea you had of feeding Grace first has worked. It took a couple of months but she's more assertive now around the others and they let her come out and hang out with the rest of the family here in the living room. As I type she's sitting on the back of the sofa watching the birds and making those cute little wistful cat noises while Mouse is curled up at my side. Great idea you had! Thanks so much!

It gives me a lot of insight into cat psychology too. I never would have thought who got fed first would make that much difference. But I do know that cats place a lot of importance on food. They will remember food related events after just one time, for instance, while ignoring many of the other things that go on in the house. Apparently they all (including Grace) got the idea that Grace is important and belongs with us from that one thing. It's made our lives much happier, thanks!

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't see what led up to this, but I just had to comment on the whole cats/food thing. We have two female cats and the older one is definitely "top cat." The younger one is the bigger food hound, though, and looks it too, so it's always interesting to try to put her on a diet while keeping the other one's consumption up.

The interesting thing, though, is that when we have made changes restricting the amount of food available, it is really apparent in the behavior of the "top cat." She gets very grouchy and is really mean to the other cat -- like it must be Allie's fault that her food supply has been reduced. Which makes a lot of sense, I guess, when you think about the wild; more of the same kind of animals in any given territory are competition for available food.

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Yes, Uprooted! I've seen the same thing. Hungry cats don't tolerate one another nearly so well as full contented ones. And cold cats get downright cuddly! [Smile]
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
That's why I much prefer dogs. They are ALWAYS cuddly.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh! I did a similar thing after reading that. Now the dog understands that the cat and it's food are mine, not hers.

It worked for the cat I had at the time, and the dog quit mouthing him when she figured out he was important to me and I told her not to. It still works for the new cat I got after the first one passed on.

Outdoor cats are still fair game, but since they stay out of reach, that's okay.

The dog is also more obedient when she is fed after I eat.

Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Oh, I always feed all my cats first before I sit down to eat. It's sort of my way of making sure I don't forget them. My own hunger would remind me if I were to forget. Maybe that's why they all act like humans are their slave species so much of the time. [Smile]

No, I don't mind, really... they're great masters.

Tatiana
Member # 6776

Has anyone seen AJ around?
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I can put a flag up at Sake.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

<bump for AJ sighting>

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.