FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Displaying foreign languages in web browsers

Author Topic: Displaying foreign languages in web browsers
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
This seems like it would be very easy, but I think I'm either doing something wrong or things don't work the way I expect they would.

I'm displaying pages written in German and French. They have all those non-English characters that we've all come to know and love that will get turned to ?s when viewed wtih only a US character set.

I figured this is no problem, because anyone browsing for these pages are going to have German and French character sets loaded into their browsers.

However, to test this assumption, I loaded up the German character set into IE7 and found that they are still displaying as ?s. Am I doing something wrong or is it more complicated than what I'm thinking?

Thanks.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
You need to declare the encoding for the web page. Since you are using multiple languages, I suggest UTF-8. If the page is (compliant) XHTML, just add the appropriate xml header, and make sure the whole thing really is saved (or generated) as UTF-8. If the page is HTML, add a content-type metatag with the charset property set to utf-8. Make that one of the first tags inside your page head (just after title is typical), and of course, make sure the whole thing really is UTF-8.

edit: this page will help: http://www.w3.org/International/O-charset

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

Nevermind. I'm being a big stupid. There's a character set being explicitly set in the html code that I was given.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

Thanks fugu.
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
I use firefox, and when I read pages that have Hebrew on them (like the paper), it's fine, no problems. But internet explorer hates my Hebrew! So I think part of it is the browsers, too.

Granted, fugu knows a lot more about it than I do. [Razz] I just wanted to pretend like I was helping.

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Raia: do these pages also have English or another language on them? IE will try, under certain circumstances, to 'guess' the encoding for a page. It is frequently wrong.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Erm... sometimes. But usually very little. It's not a problem, though, I just use firefox.
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adfectio
Member # 11070

- posted      Profile for adfectio   Email adfectio         Edit/Delete Post 
The Hebrew I've read off of webpages has English right beside it, and it wasn't a problem at all. but..... again, Firefox
Posts: 349 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.