FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » How do I fix bad sectors?

Author Topic: How do I fix bad sectors?
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
What command linux based would I use to do a low level format, to eradicate all bad sectors? Cuz when i try to install linux i get thatit encontered bad cyninders and spits out a bunch of random numbers and freezes when it says its trying to fix it and doesn't.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Toss the hard drive and buy a new one. Seriously.

(Unless someone else has a better suggestion...)

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

What if cannot afford a new hard drive at the moment ?
The Flying Dracula Hair
Member # 10155

- posted      Profile for The Flying Dracula Hair   Email The Flying Dracula Hair         Edit/Delete Post 
Save up!
Posts: 299 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

Or find a used computer parts store.
Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

this sint helpful, theres a command to do a low level frmat but I cant find it.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

like it was a new hard drive as well.
Fusiachi
Member # 7376

- posted      Profile for Fusiachi   Email Fusiachi         Edit/Delete Post 
First: A LLF is not guaranteed to fix your problem.

Second: You're the Linux Master, né?

Posts: 433 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
have you tried running using the -c or -cc options with mkfs?

from the mke2fs man page:
code:
       -c     Check the device for bad blocks before creating the file system.  If this option is
specified twice, then a slower, read-write test is used instead of a fast read-only
test.

If this is difficult to do in the installer for whatever distro you're installing, I'd look up the gparted live cd (~50 megs) you should be able to do it from there certainly.

Frankly, if things are failing like this, I wouldn't expect the drive to last all that much longer even if you can get it to install.

Anyway, I thought you were a linux master?

edit: I'd also look at the manufacturers website to see what they have available too.

Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Threads
Member # 10863

- posted      Profile for Threads   Email Threads         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think you can eliminate bad sectors. Generally the operating system just works around them. I'm guessing your hard drive is hosed.
Posts: 1327 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fusiachi
Member # 7376

- posted      Profile for Fusiachi   Email Fusiachi         Edit/Delete Post 
Also, if it's a new HD, you're not very likely to be able to do much in the way of a "low level format". That's more of a manufacturer thing. You can, however, zero it out, which might (or, every bit as likely, might not) fix a problem or two. Were you to go this route, you would probably use dd, but then again, I'm no linux master.
Posts: 433 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
If it is a new hard drive, it is under warranty. Go get it replaced.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Fugu's got the right of it. If it's a new drive, it'll be covered by warranty. Replace it.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

Thirded. If I'd known it was new... [Smile]
NotMe
Member # 10470

- posted      Profile for NotMe   Email NotMe         Edit/Delete Post 
It has been many years since you could actually do a "low level format" of a hard drive. When sectors start going bad, the drive re-maps some spare sectors to keep the drive working, and reports the problems using SMART. The operating system can only notice this, not control it.

Once this starts happening, the chance of the drive dying within 2 months goes up by a factor of about 40, but given that this is a new drive, it is pretty much doomed. (The 40x increase applies to drives that have made it past the initial spike of the bathtub-curve failure rate. Your drive isn't there yet, so it already has a higher chance of failure.)

The good news is that hard drives have pretty good warranties these days. Your drive probably has a 3-year warranty, much better than the 1-year warranties they were handing out a few years ago.

Posts: 145 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

it was acquired under the table unfortunately. I don't think warranty applies.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
This, then, represents an excellent lesson about why, morality aside, you shouldn't acquire things under the table. That said, depending on the manufacturer, you might be able to just give them the serial number and confirm the age of the drive that way; many manufacturers are fairly forgiving about being able to produce a proof of sale.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NotMe
Member # 10470

- posted      Profile for NotMe   Email NotMe         Edit/Delete Post 
Most drives actually have the warranty date printed on the top. Provided that it is present and the drive doesn't have too many physical signs of damage or tampering, you still stand a good chance at getting a replacement from the manufacturer. At any rate, it probably can't hurt to call the manufacturer.
Posts: 145 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Even if acquired under the table, if it was acquired legally, it has a warranty for the appropriate period.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.