FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I am Legend Spoiler Thread (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: I am Legend Spoiler Thread
Ecthalion
Member # 8825

- posted      Profile for Ecthalion   Email Ecthalion         Edit/Delete Post 
after watchingthis movie i felt throughout most of the movie it was going to turn into a Vampires become a society and will smith becomesthe lunatic that they talk about forever. Never read the book though. This was certainly the most suspensful movie ive seen in a while though. I got goosbumps when fred moved. And from the general concensus of my friends we really do think it moved....
Posts: 467 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, Fred totally moved. In fact, I first assumed it was the alpha male vampire wearing the orange hoodie.
Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecthalion
Member # 8825

- posted      Profile for Ecthalion   Email Ecthalion         Edit/Delete Post 
yea me too, in fact it was a little dissapointing that he wasnt...
Posts: 467 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I needed this movie to remind me that I'm a chicken when it comes to scary/suspense movies.

I was messed up and tense the rest of the day.

I thought Will Smith did exceptionally. I felt a little cheated by the introduction of God into the equation.

Fred moved.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
The Fred thing has me wondering. As does the bizarre new ending.

It's no secret that they re-shot significant portions of the movie in the 11th hour, for reasons that have not been fully explained.

When the DVD comes out, I'm wondering if the deleted scenes will show an ultimately different film?

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Fred definitely moved.

Scott: Big surprise, I know how much you hate God.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't that a bit of a cheap shot, BB?

Regardless, if they intended to do a God subplot, they should have done something better than the random, nonsensical one they tacked onto this movie.

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by 0Megabyte:
Isn't that a bit of a cheap shot, BB?

Regardless, if they intended to do a God subplot, they should have done something better than the random, nonsensical one they tacked onto this movie.

Oh it was a joke. Scott and I are both Mormons so it's more ridiculous humor that I would accuse him of hating God just because he did not like how it was portrayed in that movie.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Goody Scrivener:

By the way, what IS it with all these Apocalyptic movies absolutely TRASHING New York City???? I realize that Santa Monica wouldn't be as immediately identifiable to viewers, but come ON already. And Goodlet wants to know what that white stone arch across from Neville's house is. I'm guessing Central Park, but as I've never been to New York, I don't know for sure.

They were going to make the movie in LA, but decided that since LA at midday can be largely empty anyways because people are all in office buildings, only New York really captured the people always on the go feeling that totally emptying the city would really make for a big effect.

The arch is in Washington Square Park, modeled after the Arc de Triomphe, and built to commemorate Washington's innauguration in the 1880's (well, the centennial of his innauguration).

I really liked the movie. It did have a feel of 28 Days Later and other sci fi movies we've seen recently. And I thought it was obvious that the girl was the lead vamp's girlfriend, and that Fred was a trap set by the vamp. I thought the shot he gave Sam was attempting a cure, and after she was killed and Anna showed up, I sort of stopped caring. It was a downward spiral from there. I didn't mind the happy ending, whatever, let them have it. If the movie had been made another way, Anna could have been the main character on her way to safety and only met Neville along the way. Might almost be a neat sequel: I Am Ordinary.

But I enjoyed the film. Will Smith is a fantastic actor, and regardless of the flaws in the movie, I think he did a great job with what he had, and I think he is one of the best actors, maybe the BEST action movie star, of this current crop of stars. I look forward to Hancock.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
Just saw it last night. It was pretty good. All in all, I didn't mind the god subplot. I just thought it was tacked on and unnecessary.
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
It seemed too short to me. Runtime of 101 minutes, though--so maybe I just wanted more to happen, more explanation.

I think the movie would have been better if the vampires had been either more intelligent or less intelligent (ie dropping the whole idea that "they're getting smarter!"). This concept was poorly executed.

The CG was NOT that good, except in a few places, and the giant-mouth screaming was unnecessary. Human vocal chords can't make that sound--why would the virus make it so they could? Does the virus also give them jello jaws, super-human strength, and the ability to get smarter only after having been infected for 3 years? I DO like some things left open for interpretation, but this stuff didn't make sense.

The trap set by the leader vampire was totally implausible: Why would he go to the video store to steal the mannequins? Did he know that Neville was attached to them? If he's smart enough to observe and hunt Neville in general, why isn't he smart enough to wear clothes and a sombrero?

I'm not all-criticism for this movie, but I get angry when I see a movie that has such good potential that's wasted when all they needed was a few fixes to make it a really GREAT movie-- instead it's another acting credit for Will Smith, who was the only redeeming quality.

One last thing: this isn't a criticism so much as a question of "what if you were in his position?". Personally, if I had dealt with the death of everyone and everything and I'd set myself to a very specific goal of survival and finding a cure, I would prepare for the loss of my dog or my volleyball named Wilson. Maybe it's impossible to know how I'd react in such a crazy circumstance, but I feel like my grasp on reality is stronger than Will Smith's and Tom Hanks'.

But I wouldn't be so delusional to think I could save the world. I'd probably find a vehicle and drive around the country looking for civilization rather than staying in one place, realizing that without human contact, I'd go crazy.

Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Launchywiggin:
The CG was NOT that good, except in a few places, and the giant-mouth screaming was unnecessary. Human vocal chords can't make that sound--why would the virus make it so they could? Does the virus also give them jello jaws, super-human strength, and the ability to get smarter only after having been infected for 3 years? I DO like some things left open for interpretation, but this stuff didn't make sense.

I agree completely. This goes back to my Too Much CG in Movies rant. They did this in the Mummy also. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.
Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But I wouldn't be so delusional to think I could save the world. I'd probably find a vehicle and drive around the country looking for civilization rather than staying in one place, realizing that without human contact, I'd go crazy.
Yes, well, if the world had been fatally stricken by one specific problem and you were the foremost expert in handling that problem, it might not be delusional to hink you had a shot. *rolleyes*

quote:
The trap set by the leader vampire was totally implausible: Why would he go to the video store to steal the mannequins? Did he know that Neville was attached to them? If he's smart enough to observe and hunt Neville in general, why isn't he smart enough to wear clothes and a sombrero?
Who said it had anything to do with Neville being attached to the mannequins? I thought that he'd used it strictly as bait-Neville would see the misplaced mannequin, come investigate, and be trapped. Simple.

quote:
Maybe it's impossible to know how I'd react in such a crazy circumstance, but I feel like my grasp on reality is stronger than Will Smith's and Tom Hanks'.
Said from the comfort of your home, with a majority of the world not dead or dying from a horrible plague you failed to cure in time. Your wife and only child were also not killed in front in the helicopter you bundled them into.

I mean, come on dude. People go a bit screwy when these kinds of things happen. It's not just plausible, it's to be expected.

--------------

I think that at least some discussion of God wasn't just plausible but necessary in this movie. Not necessarily that I think the method in which it was done in this film was the best, but just about anyone, maybe even a committed atheist, would at least wonder if there was a God and if God had a hand in such a biblically devastating plague.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yes, well, if the world had been fatally stricken by one specific problem and you were the foremost expert in handling that problem, it might not be delusional to hink you had a shot. *rolleyes*
I really appreciate your eye-rolling. You helped me see how wrong I was. I hink I said "I wouldn't be delusional to hink"--not "Will Smith shouldn't be delusional to hink".

quote:
Who said it had anything to do with Neville being attached to the mannequins?
I didn't. Did you read my post?
quote:
I thought that he'd used it strictly as bait-Neville would see the misplaced mannequin, come investigate, and be trapped. Simple.
My problem with it is that none of it is explained in the least bit during the movie. It's implausible because the lead vampire would have to observe Will Smith with the mannequin to know it would be feasible bait. If the lead vampire is THIS smart, I can think of a hundred BETTER ways of getting at Neville.

quote:
Said from the comfort of your home, with a majority of the world not dead or dying from a horrible plague you failed to cure in time. Your wife and only child were also not killed in front in the helicopter you bundled them into.

I mean, come on dude. People go a bit screwy when these kinds of things happen. It's not just plausible, it's to be expected.

You act like I don't realize any of this. Or that I hadn't considered it before posting. It's very annoying. Most people do go screwy when those things happen--of course it's plausible. I feel like my grasp on reality is stronger than theirs.
Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Launchywiggin,

Well, you suggested it at least.

quote:
The 'alpha' vampire wouldn't need to have any idea how attached Neville was to the mannequins to know they could be effectively used as bait; Neville would've come to examine anything that was so obviously out of place and *put there* as the mannequin.

quote:
I really appreciate your eye-rolling. You helped me see how wrong I was. I hink I said "I wouldn't be delusional to hink"--not "Will Smith shouldn't be delusional to hink".
I can't quite parse this. You said you wouldn't be so delusional to think you could save the world, like Neville. Perhaps you didn't intend to suggest that Neville's belief was delusional, but it's far from a stretch to get that from your statement. It wasn't delusional for Neville to've thought he could save the world.

quote:
My problem with it is that none of it is explained in the least bit during the movie. It's implausible because the lead vampire would have to observe Will Smith with the mannequin to know it would be feasible bait. If the lead vampire is THIS smart, I can think of a hundred BETTER ways of getting at Neville.
Did it really need explanation? I don't think so. The alpha vampire guy set a trap and lured his prey to it, just as Neville had done dozens of times. It's not complicated, and in fact it worked. Neville got away that time, but the trap successfully killed his single most important and effective tool.

quote:
Most people do go screwy when those things happen--of course it's plausible. I feel like my grasp on reality is stronger than theirs.
Why? I mean, that more than anything is what led to my eye-rolling. How many life-altering horrifying traumas have you been through in your life, Launchywiggin? Pretty darn arrogant to say, "I think I'm tougher than that guy, even though he's faced trials that I've never even approached."
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

Questions and suggestions aren't the same thing.

I didn't suggest Neville was delusional, that was you.

It didn't need explanation, no. I understood what they were going for, I just think it was a huge leap to get there. I wanted more explained about how the vampires worked, etc. I thought it was weak.

I didn't appreciate your eye-rolling when I was only hypothesizing. I've had my share of life-altering traumas and I know that in an emergency, I'm extremely level-headed and quick-thinking. I'm glad you're standing up for the fictional characters in the face of my "arrogant" claim, otherwise I'd think you're just being combative for no reason.

Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by 0Megabyte:
To sum it up, he's a legend because he becomes the anti-vampire, the horrible monster in the minds of the vampire survivors, the mythical daywalker who kills them in their sleep, as vampires were supposed to have killed humans in theirs. He becomes legend.

Oo, that is pretty good.
Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
Rakeesh said:

"I think that at least some discussion of God wasn't just plausible but necessary in this movie. Not necessarily that I think the method in which it was done in this film was the best, but just about anyone, maybe even a committed atheist, would at least wonder if there was a God and if God had a hand in such a biblically devastating plague. "

In my opinion, definitely, sure, once another human came onto the scene. The whole arguement they had about God? Spot on. I didn't mind that at all.

It'd be only logical.

My problem is implementation, not the idea of a discussion about God in the movie.

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
Just started the book about an hour ago, and probably won't sleep until I am done, which shouldn't be too long. Keep getting distracted though, despite its awesomeness.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I finally saw the movie tonight, and I enjoyed it quite a lot. Maybe Will Smith will finally be taken seriously as an actor now.

I didn't have anything to compare to, so for me the story moved quite well. I cried a few times. It was very emotional. I was definitely starting to wonder if the one particular infected guy had something personal against Neville. Was the infected girl he kidnapped (and eventually cured) special to the infected leader-guy?

I liked it a lot, and I look forward to hunting down the written story someday.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
I thought that he was taken seriously as an actor. I suspect that the infected girl was the infected guy's wife, or something. In the book there was this one guy who was the leader. He was Neville's neighbor.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Quick question: What happened to all the bodies of the people who were killed outright by the virus? I mean sure the vampires probably feasted on them, and of course there was decomposition, but what about the bones?

Remember they blew all the bridges leading in and out of the city thus stranding ALOT of people in the city.

Reshpeckobiggle
Member # 8947

- posted      Profile for Reshpeckobiggle   Email Reshpeckobiggle         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, didn't he win an Oscar for Ali? I know he was nominated.

I thought it was really good, but too much CG. If all those CG humans could have been replaced with real actors, that would have been much better.

I didn't see how the Reever he took was in any way relevant to the leader. It seemed to me that it just wanted Neville.

Posts: 1286 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I finally went and saw this last night. Boy was reading this thread not the way to get ready to go. I'm so reading themoviespoiler next time. [Smile]

Well, the first half of the first page. Maybe I'm about to repeat everything just mentioned.

The credits list an Alpha male and an alpha female for the darkseekers. This references back to the lions that take out Neville's deer in the first scene. It also explains his last stand, as any surviving darkseekers will probably scatter with the 2 Alphas down. Alternately, Neville was told by God to lace his lab with secondary explosives?

The God thing... didn't do a lot for me, though I'm what most people would call religious. I will say that the butterfly is not just something his daughter said back before she was killed, it was brought to his rememberance (if it ever happened in the first place) in a dream that came back to him as his birthday approached. I'm not saying the whole daughter wife sequence was fiction, but the moment with the butterfly could have been purely a dream.

I think in general I didn't like the movie was it was too horrifying, and whenever things passed a certain threshold of danger, I would have to remember that I had read that he kills himself, so this wasn't "it" for him. Maybe that's what I get for reading spoilers.

I kept waiting for him to make a communication breakthrough with the darkseekers.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw this movie and I thought it was remarkably lame.

Will Smith's acting is laughable! I hate it when the Fresh Prince tries to be all serious.

And the film was over before it even began, and, quite frankly, I thought the suicide bombing towards the end was quite inappropriate given the current state of world affairs.

3/10

Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leafygreen
Member # 11015

- posted      Profile for Leafygreen           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by the_Somalian:

Will Smith's acting is laughable! I hate it when the Fresh Prince tries to be all serious.
3/10

What about The Persuit of Happyness? What about I, Robot?
Posts: 13 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.