FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » When Was Jesus Born? Fun Tidbit For Your Family’s Luke 2 Re-enactment (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: When Was Jesus Born? Fun Tidbit For Your Family’s Luke 2 Re-enactment
enochville
Member # 8815

- posted      Profile for enochville   Email enochville         Edit/Delete Post 
I still celebrate Christmas with my extended family each year, so things like this are still relevant to me.
Posts: 264 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
How is the date of the birth of Jesus of Nazareth relevant to the celebration of Christmas by an atheist?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
enochville, I don't really keep most hatrackers straight and I didn't know about your blog. Dagonee responded with some counter evidence which seems like the discussion you claim to want and to which you responded with some snide comments about apologists.

I will try to respond to your first post as if I knew none of those things. Here goes...

That isn't new information to many of us, enochville. It isn't particularly important and kind of misses the point for most of us. Why do you think it is important?

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
enochville
Member # 8815

- posted      Profile for enochville   Email enochville         Edit/Delete Post 
kmbboots: It isn't important. It is trivia, a tidbit of info. Interesting to some. New to some. When I am not interested in a thread, I skip it.

mr_porteiro_head: Every Christmas, our extended family gets together and reads,

"And it came to pass in those days, that there went out a decree from Caesar Augustus that all the world should be taxed.

2(And this taxing was first made when Cyrenius was governor of Syria.)

3And all went to be taxed, every one into his own city.

4And Joseph also went up from Galilee, out of the city of Nazareth, into Judaea, unto the city of David, which is called Bethlehem; (because he was of the house and lineage of David:)

5To be taxed with Mary his espoused wife, being great with child."

It is relevant because I will now think about these verses differently as we read the story, yet again.

Posts: 264 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay. I'll be skipping it from now on.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I thought it was very commonly and widely known that Jesus wasn't born on December 25th (he was most likely born in the spring [or some people believe the fall] according to what we know of the biblical account.
My mom still insists that we can prove Jesus was born in the spring because there are so many baby animals in the nativity scene. *shakes head*
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by enochville:
I am not an atheist missionary, and that is not my blog's stated purpose as SenojRetep claimed.

I'm sorry if I misinterpreted your blog's purpose. The headline does say you will be discussing "leaving Mormonism" which I took to mean offering reasons/methods/ideas for leaving Mormonism. Also, to my surface perusal, the focus of the blog seemed most decidedly to be an evangelical strain of atheism. My apologies if I misread your intent. FWIW, I don't find it offensive that you would have a certain zeal for your new-found beliefs, nor was I disparaging you for them. Anyway, my apologies.
Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
a little late on the discussion:

quote:
But why would he think this bit of trivia would shake anyone's faith? Does he think that the gospels were written by journalists or historians? That they are to be read that way?
kmbbookts, assuming enochville is arguing against a large and particular Christian group, your questions are easy to answer. There is a sizable belief that the Bible is whole, without contradiction, and no mistakes. They are called inneranists and are a very loud and influencial group. Most people at Hatrack do not hold this belief and therefore his arguments become less of a problem.

As an example: I dare you to say to random Christians (particularly Protestant) the reasonable "I believe in the Bible so far as it is translated correctly," or even "the Bible is not perfect." I will bet that four out of five times that person will get vindictive and accusatory.

Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.