FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Book Ideas--Music, Marines, Basketball and Driving

Author Topic: Book Ideas--Music, Marines, Basketball and Driving
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a niece and nephew that need Christmas presents.

One year I gave an older niece three books that I thought every free thinker should read--Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Dune, and of course, Ender's Game.

Now that these two are older I thought getting each three special books would be nice.

The niece is heavily into Music and Basketball. She coaches basketball and plays well. She teaches, with her mother, piano and other music as well.

For her I thought "Three Books that show the magic of Music."

1) The Green Country by Charles De'Lint
2) Amodeous, if I can find it.
3) Spell Singer? That's when I realized that I needed wise input of Hatrack Book Club.

She is also interested in Basketball. An alternative to music would be 3 Basketball books. I have no clue there.

The Nephew is about ready to drive so books on cars would be a good idea. Still no clue there.

He also has dreams about joining the Marines. His mother is against it. I was thinking some Space Marine books, both pro-solder, but con-war type stuff.

1)The Forever War
2) Armor by John Steakley
3) Starship Troopers

What would be your ideas for any of these groups.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
The Pistol by Mark Kriegel is a fantastic basketball book. It's a biography of Pete Maravich, and it's haunting, inspiring, and extremely bittersweet. And Pete played basketball like a world-class jazz musician. Everyone who's a basketball fan needs to read this book.

Also, 7 Seconds or Less by Jack McCallum is pretty good (he chronicles a season from the bench of the Phoenix Suns). If she's not an NBA fan, though, she might not get much out of this.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
If you scale back and give one book a year, you might not burn through your options so soon.

Orson Scott Card wrote a biography of Danny Ainge, I seem to recall. That's a basketball player, if the cover was anything to judge by.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
That Ainge biography is hard to come by, though. I've looked for it and never found it for less than 40 bucks. Which is why I still don't own it.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.