FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Settlers of Catan

Author Topic: Settlers of Catan
Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
I just saw that OSC put this on his emergency gift list.

I just played this game for the first time two weeks ago- my roommate is a big fan, and already I'm hooked. I love it.

Has anyone ever played it before? I had never heard of it before my roommate.

Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholar
Member # 9232

- posted      Profile for scholar   Email scholar         Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer Settlers of Zarahemla. Same game, but better board design, faster set up. No expansions, but I didn't really like the expansions anyway. Our local game store (in Texas owned by a non-LDS guy) sells that one almost exclusively because of those advantages.
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
Non-LDS guy? It's a Mormon game?
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

I haven't tried any of the expansions.
Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
I played it quite a bit some years ago. Good times.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer Settlers of Gadol.

But really, Settlers of Catan is a great game, but you will burn out after about 10 or 12 playings. At least that was my experience.

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholar
Member # 9232

- posted      Profile for scholar   Email scholar         Edit/Delete Post 
Settlers of Catan is generic, Settlers of Zarahemla is the LDS version of it. You can get 2 victory points by building the temple, the robber is called the Gadianton robber and some of the cards are named slightly different (instead of a governer, you have Alma). You kinda have to be LDS or know about them to even pick up on the differences. Except that the board is prettier.
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elise
Member # 7898

- posted      Profile for Elise   Email Elise         Edit/Delete Post 
Love Settlers. Also love the expansions. Especially the Cities & Knights expansion. This one really adds something to the game. But it will also add a lot of time to the duration of the game.

What is also fun to do, especially if you play with people that are not so good tactically, is playing with a 12-sided dice (with the numbers 1-12). Using that, all locations on the board will gave you equal chance on raw materials. The 1 and the 7 will activate the robber. We found out that this appeals to people who are new to the game and in general like games in which luck is very important.

@Elmer's glue: Settlers is originally a German game by Klaus Teuber.

Posts: 7 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starsnuffer
Member # 8116

- posted      Profile for Starsnuffer   Email Starsnuffer         Edit/Delete Post 
I play this with my friends all the time. Cities and knights, while iritatingly expensive, is a good addition to the game. Good stuff.
Posts: 655 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Threads
Member # 10863

- posted      Profile for Threads   Email Threads         Edit/Delete Post 
Settlers is a great game. My friends and I will sometimes set up a settlers game for extra people after we exceed the seven person limit for Diplomacy (you can't beat Diplomacy).
Posts: 1327 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
I like it, but nobody in my family does. [Frown]
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I think we had a thread about this game sometime ago. I really enjoyed it, but it's hard to find people to play with anymore.

Ahh, Here it is.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
My roommate plays it all the time. I burnt out after one game. Maybe it's because he was so good at it that I never felt I could compete with him, or maybe because I just don't like the game. I haven't figured that one out yet.
Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Folks who haven't won become very tough to sell it on. Though I was keenly interested in it despite not winning for several tries.

We like it quite a bit.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
I first played it with the Cities and Knights expansion. I loved it, and then when someone had Settlers all by itself and I tried to play I found it extremely boring. Cities and Knights is the only way to go, if you ask me. [Smile]
Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Selran
Member # 9918

- posted      Profile for Selran   Email Selran         Edit/Delete Post 
Another vote for the Cities and Knights expansion. Also if you like Catan you should check the Carcassonne series of games. The best is Carcassonne the City.
Posts: 212 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Chalk me up the Cities and Knights aficionados.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
I played this once in college, as a friend of mine had it. I enjoyed it, so when I was coming up with a list of potential Christmas gifts people could get for me, I put it on the list. Whether I get it or not is to be seen. I'd be happy if I did though.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

Threads: he introduced me to Settlers right when I introduced him to Diplomacy.

We only played with 5 people for like 3-4 years, but he really liked it. Now we just 7 people and a full game.

Diplomacy is where it's at.

Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
I was big into Catan lonnng lonnnng time ago. Erm, tends to burn itself out, though. You get to the point where everyone's peaked out their game knowledge and experience and all know exactly how you play in order to win (usually: maximize rock & grain for city building + dev cards) and the ending of the game is essentially random, determined by one of three periods of potentially exponential resource accumulation growth, which in turn is determined by where everyone got to place.

And you CAN kill off another player's chance to succeed nearly entirely by cutting them off with your sequenced opening placement of settlements. In fact, half of all the games we played ended up with at least two people realizing that they had already lost due to the placement choice of another player.

And they're stuck playing the hopeless game for hours afterwards.

Yeah, ..

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
The semester before I got to college that game was big among the people I hang out with. The guy who owned it moved though, so I've never played it.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
With kids, I prefer Carcassone. Even my seven year olds can play and we have a good time with it. It's funny how everyone has their own preferences, my oldest daughter loves to build cities while my middle daughter will always get sucked into building long, circuitous roads.

We also have the hunter/gatherer version of Carcassone and it can be fun. I do not recommend the expansion set with the dragon and princess though - none of us have ever enjoyed playing with it.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the basic game, not so fond of the expansions I've seen. I feel like most of 'em create a level of complexity that would make them more appropriate to a computer game.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.