FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Shaving with a straight razor (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Shaving with a straight razor
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Bridges:
The only folks allowed to remove blood from my body are the ones who give me cookies and juice afterwards.

::adds to list of vampiric seduction tricks::
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
I've had straight razor shaves before. The treatment was nice, the hot towel and such, but the shave left me broke out.

I would not try it myself. It's Mach 3 Turbo for me.

Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by DDDaysh:
Beards are icky when kissing. :-)

*blink*

Well yes . . . odd syntax aside. But I'm curious as to how you know . . .

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Facial hair on guys is wonderful. I prefer a shortish stubble. Moustaches without beards to go along make a guy look old and unpleasant, though, to me. YWMD. [Smile]

I would not use a straight razor. Technology advances for a reason.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
What an odd coincidence that I bought a new electric razor today.

I used to be more 'back to basics' with soap, a brush and an old safety razor. Then electric shaving came into my life and I left it behind.

A good friend of mine reckons the best shave he ever had was in a Turkey; the full hot towel, unguent oils and straight razor affair. I think it's a little far to go to try though.

As for beards, I'm reliably informed that I look like a dog with mange if I let mine grow out, so it's clean shaven all the way... [Wink]

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Technology advances for a reason.

But not always a reason that works for everybody.

Example: author Neil Gaiman still hand-writes some of his novels and (I believe) all of his poetry. He has said that he gets a different tone when he writes that way, he's forced to think about his words more because editing isn't a flick of the mouse.

Using a straight razor is a skill. Safety razors are safer and much easier to use, but they cost a lot more overall and don't give as close or smooth a shave no matter how many blades they pack in there. I don't see that as an improvement as much as a tradeoff.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
It's kind of interesting to look at shaving technology, pre straight razor. I've read about sharpened clam shells and pieces of obsidian. At Fort Ticonderoga there is an item identified as a home made razor, but it looks like an axe head. The more I looked at it, the more I think that this was done in order to give it a sort of rudimentary "hollow ground" so that it could be honed to a very fine edge. Geometrically, the longer the sides are, the easier it is to get a very fine angle on the blade edge.

This was part of why I chose to buy my Dovo razor, because the dubl duck is only 3/8" wide, I thought that since the Dovo is 5/8" wide it would allow it to have a finer edge, and also to have greater control over the angle when I placed it against my skin. Both of those might be true, but I think the edge is so thin that it actually flexes, which is (I think) why it catches against my skin.

I had been told that I might need to try several straight razors before I find one that feels right to me. As it turns out, the one I use is the one my wife gave to me first. I've never heard of a Kriegar, so I'd be curious to hear whether you like it or not. Then again, until you've got more experience that won't be of any value.

You should probably take your razor with you when you get a barber shave, and let him tell you whatever he can about it. I should've done that a long time ago. I got a couple of barber shaves, but they used their own razors, both of which were straight razors that used replaceable razor blades. This is pretty much required nowadays, since razors can potentially transfer HIV if they aren't surgically cleaned. But if you bring your own blade, that bypasses that problem.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Bridges:
Using a straight razor is a skill. Safety razors are safer and much easier to use, but they cost a lot more overall and don't give as close or smooth a shave no matter how many blades they pack in there. I don't see that as an improvement as much as a tradeoff.

There are safety razors and then there are safety razors. Some are more wasteful than others.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mike:
There are safety razors and then there are safety razors.

And then there are safty razors (Warning--you'll be subjected to fairly prolific swearing if you follow that link)
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
String
Member # 6435

- posted      Profile for String   Email String         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Icarus:
quote:
Originally posted by DDDaysh:
Beards are icky when kissing. :-)

*blink*

Well yes . . . odd syntax aside. But I'm curious as to how you know . . .

Lol, why wouldn't she know, she's a girl, silly. [Big Grin]

This guy has a beard [Evil] .

I'm in the process of growing mine back, I get carded for everything without it. Never tried a straight razor. It sounds like it could be a useful skill, just in case.

Posts: 278 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
*sigh*

Newbies.

Even old newbies.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by String:
This guy has a beard [Evil]

Indeed he does. This guy, too. [Evil Laugh]
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.