FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Wedding advice

Author Topic: Wedding advice
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi guys,

I need some advice about how to phrase the information for our wedding registry.

We decided to go for a honeymoon registry rather than a typical registry because, well, we already have everything we want or need - in fact, couldn't even fit more stuff in!

The problem is, I'm bad at asking for money - I can barely bring myself to invoice clients most of the time.

So, knowing that almost everyone would want to give us a gift, but that we'd rather just have money to go towards our honeymoon, we've setup a joint account for the purpose.

How do we politely ask for people to give us money rather than presents??!?

Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
"Stick em up"

Too generic? How about,

"In lieu of gifts, the wedding couple will be accepting donations to their Honeymoon Regisry. Donations can be made by....."

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Lissande   Email Lissande         Edit/Delete Post 
I requested (when asked) that people NOT give us gifts and ended up getting a bunch of money gifts. So you could try that. [Smile]

[ December 27, 2007, 01:33 PM: Message edited by: Lissande ]

Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I would say that there's no real good way to do it, and say something like "The gift of your presence on our special day is all we wish for." And then figure that people who want to give something, which will probably be most people, will give money instead. You could even let your maid of honor/best man/parents know that if people ask and really want to give something, contributions to the honeymoon wouldn't be turned down. Those are the people most guests will ask, and they'll pass it along tactfully.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Spoken from experience? [Wink]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
What ElJay said. With this change -- you don't put anything in about "the gift of your presence." You don't mention gifts at all in your invitations (ever, no matter where or what you're registered for). You tell your parents, siblings, and attendents, and when people ask them what to get you they pass the information on.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, sure. I didn't mean in the invitations. I've seen it, though, on supplimental wedding information, like websites, which is what I was assuming Troubs was talking about.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't. Do not announce the registry at all - registries are there only for when someone asks. When they do, you can tell them, but don't mention a registry or anything resembling an expectation of gifts on any invitation or announcement.

Or, what dkw and ElJay said.

(That's why it's hard to figure out how to say it - there is no polite way to say it.)

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
"SHOW ME THE MONEY!"
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Troubadour:
How do we politely ask for people to give us money rather than presents??!?

You don't politely ask for money. You don't register for money. Just don't register anywhere for anything, and if anyone asks what you would like as a gift, then you can say, "We really don't need any more stuff -- we are pretty much set up for everything we already need to start a household together." But don't ask for money. That's definitively tacky.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
I second what Tante said. I have been doing a little research on wedding etiquette, and asking for money in lieu of gifts is no-no. Which sucks. Phil and I have been together for a long time and have most of the household stuff we need. We're not 19-year olds setting up home for the first time. Not to mention we'd like to have an expensive honeymoon in scuba diving New Zealand. I wish things were like they did it in Goodfellows, where everyone just gave envelopes.
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm. Ok, obviously this is something that the US and Australia are very different about. I can't recall a wedding I've been to int the last decade that didn't have a gift registry and have it mentioned in the invites.

Honeymoon registries are now so popular that travel agents offer them as part of the package...

Apparently I'm American tho, since I feel so uncomfortable with the whole thing.

Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
There's nothing wrong with having a registry -- it's a courtesy to your guests who want to give a gift and want to give you something that you will appreciate and use. It's just bad manners to mention it without being asked.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe its just my generation but I've never seen a registry listed on a nice wedding invitation. Fancy invitations on pretty paper are generally regarded by my friends as A) just part of the tradition and B) something that pleases the parents and extended family of the engaged.

Thank goodness for wedding websites where the rest of us can easily access driving directions, RSVP, and have a link immediately available for online gift shopping at the bride and groom's registry of choice.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Send everyone a $5 bill with their invitation, with a note saying "hint hint."
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.