FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Women in Refrigerators -- The cure

Author Topic: Women in Refrigerators -- The cure
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Women in Refrigerators is the term coined by Gail Simone to refer to the disturbing phenomenon of women in comic books being murdered or otherwise brutalized for no reason other than to provide an emotional stimulus to their superhero boyfriends or husbands (or sons, in one case that I can think of).

This Something Positive strip is the perfect antidote for WiR.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Gail deserves kudos forever for bringing Ice (one of the sweetest, most endearing heroines ever created) back from the Hades of her own WiR fate.
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Though it was done in kind of a lame way.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Heh. No lamer than any other de-killing. She was killed off by a JLA foe nobody remembers in a story no one liked for reasons Mark Waid admits was some of the most wrong-headed of his career.

I'm just glad Tora's back. [Big Grin]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought this was probably going to be a Something Positive thread. I think I've been enjoying the filler strips more than I have anything Randy's done in years.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

I want more Super Stupor!
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Puffy Treat:
Heh. No lamer than any other de-killing. She was killed off by a JLA foe nobody remembers in a story no one liked for reasons Mark Waid admits was some of the most wrong-headed of his career.

I'm just glad Tora's back. [Big Grin]

See, it totally reaffirms for me that I know absolutely nothing about comics when you guys post about a character I used to read regularly and I have to stop and ask, "......when the heck did Ice die? Was it before or after I started reading?"

(I was reading Justice League circa 1990 to about 1995.)

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

See, I knew nothing about Ice, because I stopped reading comics after Crisis (the one in '85). When I started again about 5 years ago (or whenever Identity Crisis came around), I had to catch up on the whole Parallax thing, and President Luthor, and a whole slew of things that made me regret starting up again. A little.

Ice was in the JLA during the goofy Giffen period, right? I hate-hate-hate goofy Giffen stuff. If it's got Ambush Bug in it, I won't read it. If it's goofy JLA, I don't care about it.

Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you think it's possible for superheroes to really exist? Like, might there be actual superheroes living anywhere, say, in our galaxy? If it's pure fiction, why does it seem so right? Why do folktales and stories in so many different cultures contain the same elements? I think it's a really interesting phenomenon, though I confess I've never kept up with comics.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
I've never seen this comic before, it's pretty good.

http://www.somethingpositive.net/sp12242007.shtml

Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Ice was killed off in the late 90s under circumstances so lame I refuse to recall them.

But she's back!

Omega M.
Member # 7924

- posted      Profile for Omega M.           Edit/Delete Post 
What's going on in the last panel? Who's the new guy in it?
Posts: 781 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

What really blows my mind is that I've never heard of anyone doing the costumed vigilante thing in real life. I mean, if I were in good physical shape, which I'm not, and never will be, I could see trying it out.

But I've never even seen a story about such a person, even on really slow news days. That just strikes me as weird.

As far as superheroes with super powers... I doubt it. I think the reason people like those stories is the same as the reason why people used to believe in pantheons. After all, superheroes are just modern gods, no? Certainly they are in DC.

Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
It definitely taps into the same...something that folklore and myth do, that's for sure. Certainly, the reverence that I held for Spiderman as a small child bordered on being religious in nature.

I wondered when I was reading American Gods for the first time if we might not see a caped crusader or two gracing its pages, and was a little disappointed when none did.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.