FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » neat probability fact

Author Topic: neat probability fact
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
There's thirty people at a party. How likely is it that two of those people have the same birthday? High? Low? So-so?
Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
What's interesting is that certain birthdays are more likely than others. Like nine months after winter.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by JonHecht:
What's interesting is that certain birthdays are more likely than others. Like nine months after winter.

There's that too. Assume for the sake of the problem though that such distributions don't exist.
Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
In that case, I would love to do the math. Unfortunately, I just finished Stats, and am never doing any math again. Ever. Ever. Ever ever ever. I don't care if I accidentally pay 40k too much in taxes, as long as I don't have to do math.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
If there were 366 people, it would be 100% likely... So...go down from there?
Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adfectio
Member # 11070

- posted      Profile for adfectio   Email adfectio         Edit/Delete Post 
I did this recently, and I forget the actual math and numbers and everything, but even with there only being 30 people, it is highly likely.
Posts: 349 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
Somalian, are you taking Statistics by any chance?
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
I am... Just the basics so far.
Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

quote:
Originally posted by SoaPiNuReYe:
Somalian, are you taking Statistics by any chance?

Heh...no. That would be a clever way to get people to do your statistics homework problems for you though. Pose it as a challenge on internet boards! =D
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tara:
If there were 366 people, it would be 100% likely...

Well, no . . .
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

HINT: Compute the probability that they all have DIFFERENT birthdays.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

edit: i posted the answer, but am deleting it. more fun that way.
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Icarus:
quote:
Originally posted by Tara:
If there were 366 people, it would be 100% likely...

Well, no . . .
367 to account for Feb 29?

I know the answer and I've seen how it works, but I can't do the math to show it.

Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

You didn't post the answer. You posted some general counting principles.
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

I posted enough information to definitively answer whether or not the chances would be high, low or so-so.
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm guessing it's about an 8% chance.
Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
I had read that the likelihood was over 50%.
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 7924

- posted      Profile for Omega M.           Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard this before. I think you do it by figuring out the probability of none of the people having the same birthday and then subtracting that number from 1.

If there were only two people in the group, the probability of them not having the same birthday would be the probability of person #2 not having the birthday of person #1 given the birthday of person #1, or 364/365. (We'll ignore leap years and assume the birthdays are evenly distributed.)

If there were only three people in the group, the probability of none of them sharing a birthday would be the probability of person #3 not having the birthday of either person #1 or person #2 given that persons #1 and #2 have different birthdays (which is 363/365) times the probability of persons #1 and #2 having different birthdays (which is 364/365 from above), or (363/365)(364/365). It's easier to see the pattern if you write it as (364/365)(363/365).

Continuing in this manner, we see that the probability that none of 30 people have the same birthday is the 29-term product (364/365)(363/365)...(336/365) = approximately .294, so the probability of at least 2 people out of 30 having the same birthday is approximately 1 - .294 = .706 = 70.6% (!). With leap years, the probability would be a little lower. I don't know offhand how to deal with them, though.

Posts: 781 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
Yup. I was thinking about what the chances were of two people having a specific date in common.
Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

quote:
Originally posted by MattP:
[QB] Yup. I was thinking about what the chances were of two people having a specific date in common.

You guys are so close.
Icarus
Member # 3162

Or 1 – P(364,30)/365^30

EDITED to change a 5 to a 4

[ December 30, 2007, 11:36 PM: Message edited by: Icarus ]

Icarus
Member # 3162

quote:
Originally posted by the_Somalian:
quote:
Originally posted by MattP:
[QB] Yup. I was thinking about what the chances were of two people having a specific date in common.

You guys are so close.
Omega's not close. Omega's right.
Icarus
Member # 3162

quote:
Originally posted by Omega M.:
With leap years, the probability would be a little lower. I don't know offhand how to deal with them, though.

Here's my thought on that. First, though, let's increase the significant digits on your approximation, to 70.632%.

It seems to me that if we assume that one of the thirty people was born on February 29th, then the probability of at least one shared birthday, following the logic you laid out, is:

(1460/1461)(1456/1461)(1452/1461) . . . (1348/1461)

which is roughly 31.276%.

Now <insert much hand-waving here> the probability of any person having a birthday of February 29th (again assuming that birthdays are evenly distributed) is 1/1461. So I'm thinking that the overall probability of a shared birthday is:

(1/1461)(31.276%) + (1460/1461) (29.368%) = 29.370%

Which would make the probability of no shared birthdays 1 - 29.370%, or 70.630%.

Icarus
Member # 3162

quote:
Originally posted by Icarus:
Now <insert much hand-waving here> the probability of any person having a birthday of February 29th (again assuming that birthdays are evenly distributed) is 1/1461. So I'm thinking that the overall probability of a shared birthday is:

(1/1461)(31.276%) + (1460/1461) (29.368%) = 29.370%

Which would make the probability of no shared birthdays 1 - 29.370%, or 70.630%.

Actually, I don't think that's quite right. Let me give this some more thought . . .
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
What I'm interested in is the probability of running into someone with your exact birthday (month, day, and year), and who was born in the same hospital you were (so that you were babies in the nursery together), almost 40 years later and not in the general region where that birthplace is located (say, in the same state, but around 200 miles away).

Because that happened to me once, and it really freaked me out.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by littlemissattitude:
What I'm interested in is the probability of running into someone with your exact birthday (month, day, and year), and who was born in the same hospital you were (so that you were babies in the nursery together), almost 40 years later and not in the general region where that birthplace is located (say, in the same state, but around 200 miles away).

Because that happened to me once, and it really freaked me out.

92.67% probable.

It's simple math, really.

Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I play that trick all the time.

"That's you're birthday? Mine too!

What year? Me too!

Where were you born? Really? Me too!

What hospital? Me too!

Wait -- what are your parents's names? Oh no! Me too! But my parents put me and my sister up for adoption, because I was one of a set of triplets, and they didn't want to have more than one baby."

OK, not really, but it would be a hoot.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
Yeah, I play that trick all the time.

"That's you're birthday? Mine too!

What year? Me too!

Where were you born? Really? Me too!

What hospital? Me too!

Wait -- what are your parents's names? Oh no! Me too! But my parents put me and my sister up for adoption, because I was one of a set of triplets, and they didn't want to have more than one baby."

OK, not really, but it would be a hoot.

[ROFL]

Point taken.

However...I saw the driver's license (she came through my checkout line when I was working in retail, and she had to show me her DL because she paid by check), so the birthdate was legit, and she was the one who stated her birthplace and I know where I was born and when, and they matched. So, in this case it couldn't have been that old trick.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Ahem. February 29th is the 366th day. Non-leap years have 365 days.

quote:
Today in the news...
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
There are about 15 people in the newsroom where I work, and I share a birthday with one of them. We share a few personality traits, as well.
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Probably because the stars were aligned just so on that date and had cosmic radiation [Razz]
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
And because birthdays are not randomly distributed. As someone upthread mentioned, September babies are pretty common.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

quote:
Originally posted by Teshi:
quote:
Ahem. February 29th is the 366th day. Non-leap years have 365 days.
Yes. And therefore you need 367 people to guarantee that they can't all have different birtdays.
Teshi
Member # 5024

Oh. Oops [Smile] .
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Teshi:
Today in the news...

Wandering off-topic here, but... is this study ethical?
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
The ethics of that study (and the doctor whose brainchild it was) have been debated pretty hotly for quite some time.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Yeah, when I read that, I thought it was a bit 1984ish.
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
That would be a weird study to inherit, as a researcher. The separation is one thing, but it also seems like they would have to be keeping tabs on these people. And what kind of a study drops people like this? Did they have to manifest mental illness by a certain age or something? Stay living in New York? It's just super weird.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katdog42
Member # 4773

- posted      Profile for katdog42   Email katdog42         Edit/Delete Post 
This one's easy for me, personally!

quote:
Originally posted by littlemissattitude:

The answer is 0. I was born in a small, rural hospital. I was the only baby born there on that day (actually, I think I was the only baby born there that month)!
Posts: 340 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

They should hold hopspital renunions. "Babies of March 20th, 1975, General Hospital."

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.