FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » ***shathias!*** Hello and welcome! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: ***shathias!*** Hello and welcome!
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Now [we invite you ***] to tell us about yourself. [Smile]

Whatever you want us to know -- it doesn't have to be a personal identifier or anything. How'd you get here, when you first read, OSC, etc.

Welcome to Hatrack. Hope you stick around and have lots of fun. [Smile]

----

*** I didn't want to seem pushy, but it would be delightful to get to know you.

[ January 01, 2008, 06:30 AM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome, shathias to hatrack! [Wave]

You're lucky, usually it takes awhile for CT to break out the edited-in footnotes**. [Wink]

**although editing in footnotes instead of completely revising your remarks is a good thing, especially when it's purpose is to make people more comfortable. [Big Grin]

[ January 03, 2008, 08:46 PM: Message edited by: Morbo ]

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

[Embarrassed] [Wink]
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shathias
Member # 11434

- posted      Profile for shathias           Edit/Delete Post 
Okay. Thanks for the welcome!

I read Lost Boys first during ROTC camp right after I graduated HS. I loved it, although it was quite sad. Then I went to college, graduated and started teaching. I was in the bookstore here in town and just happened to see Ender's Game. I liked the title, so I bought it and later discovered that the same guy wrote Lost Boys. I have since read almost everything by OSC, including Characters and Viewpoint and the Sci-fi/Fantasy writing book (I forget the name of it).

I found this site a few years ago and wandered in and out, just lurking occasionally. So I just decided to take the plunge and register.

There seem to be a lot of interesting people here that I want to meet. So again, HI!!

(Sorry to write so much, but you asked. [Smile] )

Posts: 11 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome!
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome. We are a can of mixed nuts here. [Smile]

Happy New Year.

Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
I would say a can of worms. Or a Pringles can. Once you open us up- you can't get rid of us.
Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by shathias:
Okay. Thanks for the welcome!

You're, uh, welcome. [Smile]

quote:
(Sorry to write so much, but you asked. [Smile] )
You think that's much? You don't know us very well, do you? Of course, now you have all the time to do it. [Big Grin]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
We are a can of mixed nuts her
I am the cashews.

Welcome to the 'rack.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

I thought we were a clan of mixed nuts? [Dont Know]
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
So now we test everyone new to make sure they're not spam bots?
Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
shathias, how did you get a screenname when registration is turned off? Did you contact a donor?

Edit: and welcome! I often forget the main point.

Oh and just to be sure you're not a bot:

1) Which direction is the enemy's gate?

2) What is a ROUS?

3) What is Jayne's chain of command?

[Wink]

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Hah! I totally overlooked your post in that other thread. Welcome to hatcrack!
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shathias
Member # 11434

1. Down
2. Rodents of unusual size
3. Not sure, I've seen all the episodes and the movie, but only once a while ago. I guess some kind of weapon.

Is that enough for a pass?

Posts: 11 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

You're in! [Smile]
(btw, you can google the answer to #3)

Next hurdle: becoming real. [Big Grin]

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I keep reading your screen name as "shatnetz", which, of course, it isn't.

But what does it mean? And how do I pronounce it?

Answer me yours and I'll tell you mine.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

quote:
Originally posted by Tara:
So now we test everyone new to make sure they're not spam bots?

In case it was not clear, shathias had already posted an individualized, clearly-not-automated-spam post in the thread I linked.*** That initial post of his or hers had gotten lost in the discussion -- there were some 20 posts afterward without a welcome or direct response of any sort at all, just (I think) because people were involved in the other ongoing discussion and missed it.

This thread was an attempt to rectify that post getting passed over, as it seemed to me that shathias ought to be welcomed.

It certainly wasn't a test, and although I myself would be happy to continue the ongoing sonata of spammy/not-spammy/how-do-we-treat-newcomers, perhaps it would be more polite to our latest Hatracker to take that discussion out of his or her welcome thread and into a new one?

---

Edited to add: ***The link is the first line in the starting post of this thread. I tried to link directly to shathias' introductory post, but for some reason the software wouldn't let me this time. You can find it pretty easily, though, at about halfway down the page. The difference between this and a spam post is like night and day to my eyes, but I understand this may not be obvious to some people.

If it would be helpful, I could explain in more detail how I distinguish between the two, but I was afraid that might come across as condescending. And, of course, I'd prefer to do it in a separate thread, as I mentioned above. I'll leave it to you (or another) to start the thread if that would be of use and interest to anyone.

[ January 02, 2008, 05:25 AM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
I keep reading your screen name as "shatnetz", which, of course, it isn't.

But what does it mean? And how do I pronounce it?

Answer me yours and I'll tell you mine.

I was reading it as "shu-thai-us."

I'm curious as to meaning as well.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I read Lost Boys first during ROTC camp right after I graduated HS. I loved it, although it was quite sad. Then I went to college, graduated and started teaching. I was in the bookstore here in town and just happened to see Ender's Game. I liked the title, so I bought it and later discovered that the same guy wrote Lost Boys. I have since read almost everything by OSC, including Characters and Viewpoint and the Sci-fi/Fantasy writing book (I forget the name of it)

Wow! You started out with Lost Boys? I'm impressed. It took me years to get the courage to read that one (after hearing about it here) and I don't know if I would have kept reading OSC if that had been the first one I read! [Frown]
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shathias
Member # 11434

I always pronounce it Shay-thee-us. It's the name of the first D&D character I ever created. I used it for online gaming too, when I use to play WoW. I don't play anymore because of the huge amount of time needed to accomplish anything. Since I have two kids, my time is needed elsewhere. I have a few other hobbies, none of which take up my children's time, and all of which I can stop and start as needed without leaving other people in a bind.

Farmgirl, I loved the family in Lost Boys, even though the ending tore me up. And that was before I had kids. I can't re-read that book now. The reason I kept reading OSC after that book and Ender's Game is his ability to make me care about his characters. And he is just a great storyteller.

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

*still trying to determine for sure if shathias is male or female* [Smile]
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
FG: Surely shathias is male or female, no?

Shathias, that sounded exactly like MY first reaction to Lost Boys. That family stuck with me for weeks. Now that I have sons I can't read it again either.

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, you told me yours, so now I'll tell you mine, as promised.

Tante is pronounced to rhyme with "want a". It means "aunt".

Shvester is pronounced to rhyme with "Esther", which is my name. It means "sister". It also means "nurse".

I am an aunt and a sister and a nurse. And I play all those roles here at Hatrack.

"Tante" does NOT rhyme with "Dante". Don't say it that way; it just makes you look ignorant. [Wink]

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
:: still says it that way in his head, even though he knows better ::
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
You know, if you pronounce Dante correctly, then Tante and Dante are really pronounced the same, except for initial T & D of course. [Razz]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Oh, just in case anyone misunderstood, I was teasing about the testing thing. Obviously shathias does not even faintly resemble a spambot. I thought that would be clear, and it probably was, but just in case it wasn't, I thought I'd better say.

And I'm glad CT noticed and made a welcoming thread, because I had totally overlooked his/her introductory post in the other thread.

Tatiana is pronounced "ta-CHA-na" with the accent on the CHA, only it's more of a "TYA" than a "CHA", but not quite enough to make it four syllables. If you pronounce it as though it's in Spanish, that works very well.

shathias
Member # 11434

Expanding on the info:
Her. I am female, married, have 2 kids, use to have a cat, and teach band/music grades 5-12 (although I am considering a career change).

I understood the spambot test was in jest. I just played along. Tatiana, I was so pronouncing your screen name differently.

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

quote:
and teach band/music grades 5-12

You have my undying admiration! [Big Grin]
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
I've waited, and watched, and now I feel extremely safe and happy to welcome you to Hatrack.

[Wave]

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Farmgirl:
quote:
and teach band/music grades 5-12

You have my undying admiration! [Big Grin]
And my sympathy. [Wink] [Razz]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
"...teach band/music grades 5-12..."

What's your main instrument? Where did you get your undergrad? Did you go to grad school?

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

Don't you love real people? They're so... interactive.
Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
That's a very anti-fake people statement.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

I will be the first one to admit it.

I am anti fake people.

I support real people. We need to in the strongest rhetoric stop those who would have us confuse fake people with real people.

The Shadow
Member # 5663

- posted      Profile for The Shadow           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Shawshank:
I will be the first one to admit it.

I am anti fake people.

I support real people. We need to in the strongest rhetoric stop those who would have us confuse fake people with real people.

Hear, Hear! I heartily agree.
Posts: 7 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the Voice of Reason.
Member # 5787

- posted      Profile for the Voice of Reason.           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I don't agree. It's fake people bigotry, is what it is.
If you cut me, do I not bleed?!
Umm, I don't, but... *loses track of arguement*

Posts: 5 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

No one likes reason.

Those who try and put fake people in the midst of real people are a danger to our society and must be stopped! Do fake people deserve the same treatment as real people, I say not.

the Voice of Reason.
Member # 5787

- posted      Profile for the Voice of Reason.           Edit/Delete Post 
That's always how it starts, with the fake people.

"When they came for the fake people,
I remained silent;
I was no phony.

When they came for the communists,
I remained silent;
I was not a communist.

[etc.]
When they came for me,
there was no one left to speak out."

See? There was no left to speak out because the Voice of Reason had been silenced. QED

Posts: 5 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

I see you've been indoctrinated by the press run by the pro fake-people special interests groups.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
We're a weird bunch shathias. Hope you enjoy.

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

I'm so glad you've stuck around, shathias. [Smile]
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
Humph!
Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shathias
Member # 11434

Hey, everyone. I've been real sick the last couple of days, so I haven't been up to posting. Thanks again to everyone for making me feel welcome.

Steven, my main instrument is the horn, but I also play trumpet on a regular basis. I finished my master's degree a little over a year ago.

ClaudiaTherese, thanks, so am I. [Smile]

A strange little fact about my family. My brother and I were the first in our extended family to even go to college. No one in my family has ever been a teacher. Now we are both teachers, married to teachers. I don't know how that happened. [Smile] Although, I am now trying to decide whether or not to apply for law school. Anyone been through the process recently? Taken the LSAT?

Tatiana
Member # 6776

Now, now. Lots of hatrackers aren't real yet. It's not something we hassle them about. Of course, it's much BETTER to be real but some of my best friends aren't real yet so please let's not hear any discriminatory talk.
Shawshank
Member # 8453

I'm not officially real yet.

I guess I discriminate against myself.

Dark as night
Member # 9577

- posted      Profile for Dark as night   Email Dark as night         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome, shathias! [Wave]

My hat's off to you and your brother for being the first people in your family to go to college. My dad was the first person in his family to do so, which is something I've always admired him for. As for law school, I'm pretty sure there are some attorneys or law students in our "can of mixed nuts" over here. [Smile] Perhaps starting a separate thread with a "Law School Advice" type of a title might catch their attention quicker.

Tatiana, I always assumed that you or at least your name had Slavic origins. Am I right?

Posts: 155 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

The name does, yes. As for me, I'm as mixed genetically as any other human on the planet. I count myself a citizen of the galaxy. So I guess that means there's a little of everything mixed up in there somewhere but my Slavic roots are not particularly recent or anything. I do love 19th c. Russian novels, though.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by Tatiana:
I count myself a citizen of the galaxy.

I applied for citizenship, but they "lost" my paperwork. Stupid galactic bureaucracy! I live in fear of being deported.
Tatiana
Member # 6776

I hear the smaller Magellenic cloud is beautiful! [Smile]
Morbo
Member # 5309

Wow, yesterday I thought of the Lesser Magellenic Cloud to respond to Tante too!

Probably because I just reread Have Space Suit, Will Travel.

Dark as night
Member # 9577

- posted      Profile for Dark as night   Email Dark as night         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tatiana:
I count myself a citizen of the galaxy.

Yeah, me too. [Big Grin]
Posts: 155 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.