FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Roman Art from the louvre

Author Topic: Roman Art from the louvre
Marek
Member # 5404

- posted      Profile for Marek   Email Marek         Edit/Delete Post 
I just saw this exibit And it is amazing. Statues I've seen in books, usually text books and history books, or on TV about the empire, were close enough to tough. The statue of Trajan was amazing, the skirt on his armor looked like marble that was some how hand stiched, the detail is amazing it has an egal on the fledging witgh individual feathers vissible. My wife feels Octavian is a great tyrant who did awful things (mainly killing Caesarion the rightful heir), but after standing im front of the statue, she respects him now, though she still dislikes him. It it that moving.

The exibit is only in Indianapolis through January 6th, but if you have a chance to see it there or where ever it goes next, you should, it is amazing.

Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marek
Member # 5404

Oh and fair warning, there is nothing of Julius Ceasar, also people will look at you weird if you bow to the statue of Trajan. [Dont Know]
Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
also people will look at you weird if you bow to the statue of Trajan
*bursts out laughing* I think I knew a few of you when I was in the JCL. [Smile]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds fantastic; wish I'd known about it sooner. I'm googling trying to find out the exhibit's touring schedule, but so far I'm not finding it, to my surprise.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I found that it's going to be in Seattle starting Feb 21, but I can't find an actual schedule.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that's the best information I've been able to find too. I may need to take an emergency trip to Indianapolis on Sunday.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Found this:

quote:
Exhibition Itinerary
Indianapolis Museum of Art
September 23, 2007–January 6, 2008
Seattle Art Museum
February 21–May 11, 2008
Oklahoma City Museum of Art
June 19–October 12, 2008

It was in this Teachers' Resource Packet, which also has information on the statues included and stuff and vocabulary and Roman history and all (in case any of our homeschoolers want to use it as a resource or anything; to warn you, it's a pretty big PDF, so if you don't have a very fast connection it's going to take a few minutes to load.)
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

(I found it by searching "roman art, louvre, indianapolis, seattle," if anyone is interested. [Wink] )
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
You were in the JCL, kq? That totally rocks. I did the national convention and everything.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Indeed I was! And I wasn't mocking people who would bow to a statue of Trajan, 'cause I was one of the costume geeks (my chapter NEVER wore sheets on Toga Day at the conventions. We wore costumes as authentic as I could make for $25/person-- and that was pretty authentic. We actually got a special award once. I can drape a toga three ways, depending on how tall the guy wearing it is... [Cool] )

We never made it to national conventions, only regional. We were the second-smallest chapter in our region, only 7 members. The only smaller one was a group of 5 fifth-graders from a private school in Central CA. We were really tight knit and had a ton of fun.

Marek
Member # 5404

I had never heard of JCL till this thread, then I googled it. *totally missed out*
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Damn, looks like Detroit isn't going to get a piece of the action.

No fair. We just finished a huge renovation and addition to the DIA. We should get rewarded with pretty Roman art.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Marek, I think your wife and I were in JCL together, I'm pretty sure our latin club was an official member.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish it would come to Birmingham. It sounds like a great exhibit. We have a bunch of Pompeii stuff until the end of January. Grisha, y'all should come see it before it goes. Maybe the guard won't yell at you this time. [Smile]
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marek
Member # 5404

That would be so great, but with the semester starting in a few days it might be difficult

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.