FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Ebay feedback question

Author Topic: Ebay feedback question
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
I recently purchased some perfume on Ebay. It is old and discontinued, and as it turns out, rancid too.

The seller agreed to refund my money minus shipping if I send it back, and I'm happy with that. If I get the refund I won't leave negative feedback, but I'm just wondering what kind of feedback I should leave. Neutral, or positive with an explanation? I haven't done much Ebaying and all of my transactions have been positive up to this point. Technically, the product was as described.

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adfectio
Member # 11070

- posted      Profile for adfectio   Email adfectio         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess for me it would really depend on how nice the person was about it. I don't mind a little bit of hassle, as long as the person I'm dealing with is understanding. No matter what, try to explain the situation, that's why the comments are there. But If (s)he gave you any problems about returning it, then I would probably rate it neutral.
Posts: 349 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swampjedi
Member # 7374

- posted      Profile for Swampjedi   Email Swampjedi         Edit/Delete Post 
To me, the feedback and comments rate the transaction as well as the item. If I got my money back, I'd be leaving a positive.
Posts: 1069 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

Thanks to both of you -- I was leaning to positive, but I wasn't sure if I was being too much of a softie. I'm a tiny bit irritated about not having any of the inflated shipping price returned to me, but not enough to make an issue of it; I agreed to that price for shipping when I bid on it.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Swampjedi:
To me, the feedback and comments rate the transaction as well as the item. If I got my money back, I'd be leaving a positive.

It depends on how honest the shipping was. I know that some sellers will inflate the shipping costs in order to reduce the amount they have to give ebay and to make the item look cheaper. If that is the case for this particular item, the seller could still be making a profit off of this.

Since the item is being sent back, check to see how the cost to ship it back compares with the paid shipping cost. If the actual cost is much less than what was paid, I'd still suggest considering a neutral or negative feedback.

Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Do not leave a positive feedback. Any seller who will not refund s/h on a defective item is dishonest, period.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
If you get a total refund, it's as if the transaction never occurred. I'd leave neutral with written praise for the sellers reasonable behavior.

If you suspect at all that the bottle had been opened when it was stated as not having been, or if the shipping charge was unreasonable for the packaging and postage, or there was excessive rudeness or delay, a negative is not out of order. Inflating shipping costs to reduce ebay charges is against policy and should be reported to ebay.

Only a transaction where you receive the item in stated condition in a timely manner with reasonable shipping charges deserves a positive.

Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
Inflating shipping costs to reduce ebay charges is against policy and should be reported to ebay.
Yes, it should be, but if the charges are available beforehand (as they almost always are) and you bid and win anyway, you are absolutely responsible for paying them, whether you think they are fair or not, and they are NOT a valid reason to leave a neutral or negative feedback. It is the buyer's responsibility to be aware of all the seller's policies and fees prior to purchasing.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
As it stands now, I'd leave neutral feedback. Something along the lines of "product not satisfactory but Seller willing to return/refund". I don't think there's anything (s)he could do to get a positive out of me at this point.

And I'd watch that seller's future listings to see if (s)he relists that bottle of perfume once it's come back.

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

Thanks to all of you -- your comments have been helpful.
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
erosomniac, I agree. I would not leave negative or neutral feedback if I bid on something that had inflated shipping, as long as the item arrived in good condition with no shipping damage.
Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I never bid on something without checking the shipping first, and if I'm okay paying it, I wouldn't leave neg. or neut. feedback even if their cost was much lower. However, if they refuse to answer questions about shipping, and do not list shipping cost in their listing, I take that as a red flag and do not bid.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
also note, most sellers wait until you leave feedback until they give you feedback...and will give you negative feedback if you give them either neutral or negative feedback.
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
Originally posted by Lupus:
also note, most sellers wait until you leave feedback until they give you feedback...and will give you negative feedback if you give them either neutral or negative feedback.

The easy way to avoid this is to tell the seller that you do not leave feedback until feedback is received, for any reason. Since feedback is exponentially more important to sellers than it is to buyers, it's pretty easy to hold them ransom, and you don't lose anything by doing so.
Uprooted
Member # 8353

He left positive feedback immediately. The seller has high positive feedback ratings, so I don't really think he makes a practice of trying to rip people off, which is one reason why I'm inclined to give the benefit of the doubt.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.