FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » "That's not good enough!"

Author Topic: "That's not good enough!"
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in the mall parking lot. I've gotten into my car. I'm about to put my key into the ignition, when suddenly a strange man comes up and places both hands onto the driver's side door.

"Sir...sir...sir. My truck is out of fuel. I need you to help me out. Sir...sir...sir. If you it was you, sir, I'd give you money without a thought."

I was a bit put off by him trying to guilt trip me before I even responded to his plea for help, but I gave him what I had...five dollars. (Since I've gotten used to using my check card, I only carry bills with me if I need to pay to park or something.)

He stared at the money for a minute. I rolled my window back up, placed the key into the ignition.

"Sir...sir...sir. That's not good enough!"

"Well, that's all the money I have on me!"

"Sir...sir...sir..."

I asked him (not nicely at all) to please get away from my car.

Was he being rude, or did I overreact?

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
he was being rude. you didn't overreact. $5 is more than enough money to put enough gas in to get home. And to guilt you before you even had a chance to answer is pretty strange. Makes me question the legitimacy of his request in the first place.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Khavanon
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for Khavanon   Email Khavanon         Edit/Delete Post 
I personally wouldn't have done it at all. That might be cold (regardless of their real intentions), but anyone with that kind of assertiveness can probably get it from somebody else.
Posts: 2523 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I wouldn't have given him anything. Most of the time, I don't carry cash, so I can honestly say, "Sorry, I don't have any cash on me."

That's pretty pushy compared to the confrontations I've experienced.

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I sometimes get this lady downtown who says "Could you buy me a cherry tart and a lemonade from that store over there? It's only $3.95."

Well, the sad thing is she's really overweight and missing several teeth. It breaks my heart, but I don't really feel bad about turning her down on an intellectual level. But besides her not "needing" that, I don't ever go to P.F. Chang's my own self.

If she ever asked me for a Burrito or a Chicken sandwich, I suppose I would have a different conflict. I wish I could invite her to sit down and eat with me, but that thought really scares me. Probably would her too.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think you were being rude at all. It's likely I would have given him a couple dollars, but I'd say he was beyond pushy and I wouldn't have felt bad for saying no from the get go.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
It was pretty clearly an illegitimate request.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't help someone who approached me that way, either. He probably could have called someone else to bring him gas. I wonder how many other people he asked that day with the same excuse.

If it was someone who appeared not to be able and they were nice about it, I'd either give a little money if I had it, or help them find other help, like notifying the state patrol.

I have given money when they offered to return it and showed me their driver's liscence and took my P O Box address to send it to. And yes, they did return it.

I'm sure it depends on where you are, too. Here, the gas station will let you go get money if you ask politely and leave your licence with them.

Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
He was exceptionally rude. That is very threatening behavior, to go right up and put your hands on someone's car door. And then to ask for more is just atrocious. There used to be a group of kids that would sit in the grocery store parking lot back in Richmond and would say "my car just got towed a few minutes ago, can you spare any cash so I can get it back?" or some such. The first time I was polite, but then the next day (same story, same inflection)once I realized this completely able bodied girl my own age was outright lying to the people that were shopping at the low end grocery store I was pretty pissed. I just stopped and told her that it was a pity she didn't recognize me from yesterday, and that not only was she deceitful, but that she was also not very good at it. Irritating. I often gave change/cash/and food to anyone that asked, even though I was working full time and going to school full time, all on my own. I never had money because of my possibly too generous nature, but I was never angry about it until there was essentially a mirror of me, that was choosing to rip people off regardless of their station in life instead of just gritting their teeth and working through it.
Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
[url] http://www.hatrack.com/cgi-bin/ubbmain/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=051432;p=0&r=nfx [/url]

I'd like to try this as a psychology experiment . . .

Of course, I'd give the money back.

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Asking people for gas money? Or telling them the donated money wasn't good enough? Or just prefacing everything with "Sir...sir...sir"? [Razz]
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shathias
Member # 11434

- posted      Profile for shathias           Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, he was rude. My husband has given money a few times, but now we both usually just use our check cards and don't carry cash. I've never been approached. One guy did come up to our van once and start begging for money to buy food. We were at a gas station right next to a Wendy's so my husband bought the guy a meal. He took it, but didn't seem happy with that.
Posts: 11 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently he has never heard the adage, "Beggars can't be choosers."

If he needed some gas money, $5 is enough to get him any short distance. If he lives far away perhaps that is a different story. I might have asked, "Well how much do you need?" I'd also find out how it came to be that he had no money of his own for gas in his truck.

His story and the way he told it would influence greatly my reaction from there.

As for you, I think you did more then the average person, if $5 was all you had in your wallet, $5 is all you had in your wallet.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I just don't often carry cash. If I have cash, I give it when asked (as long as I don't feel that the person asking is threatening me or my children.) It's usually a dollar or two.

If someone says they're hungry, I offer a juice box, a granola bar, whatever I have in my purse. I have given a man my own lunch that I had packed for a picnic (I just ate the kids' leftovers instead.) If I see a hungry homeless person getting out of the heat in a local fast food place with a drink, I offer them a $1 chicken sandwich. It's not much to me but might mean that they don't eat from the trash that evening.

I find our local homeless people are mostly very friendly, not alcoholics, do not ask for money, but gladly accept food, drink, or clothing when offered. They say "bless you" and "thank you" and tell me I have beautiful children. Much more pleasant than panhandlers on the streets downtown or in parking lots (although I give to them whether I think they are lying or not, if I have anything on me. But I usually don't.) My theory is, I give what I can, when I can, because it is not for me to judge if they are lying about what they will do with it, because I do not want to look back on my life when it is judged and see, "You lied and told this man you had no money when you did-- and he went hungry that night."

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Having grown up with drug addicts, that looks a whole lot more like someone desperate for a fix than someone in need of gas/food/whatever. Like others have said, don't give money, offer to go buy the gas yourself, buy the food yourself, etc.

That said, I do give out cash sometimes, but only if it feels right.

Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, right. He needed fuel? Sounds like a cokehead tale.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Puffy Treat:
Asking people for gas money? Or telling them the donated money wasn't good enough? Or just prefacing everything with "Sir...sir...sir"? [Razz]

The first only when gas prices exceed three dollars a gallon. The second when ringing bells for the Salvation Army. And the third, only when in a Dickensian orphanage and asking for more food.
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by Joldo:
The first only when gas prices exceed three dollars a gallon.

Well, there's one you'll have no trouble waiting for! [Evil]
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't have given him anything. I do not give out cash money to anyone. That's usually pretty easy, given as I don't carry cash except in very rare circumstances.

I was accosted by a man on the campus of my university wanting cash, when I said I didn't have any and kept walking he began screaming at me and chasing after me. Fortunately, there were some other students nearby, including some guys who told him to step back and leave me alone.

I just don't feel comfortable giving out money, too many people will use it for drugs or alcohol. I know some people would be genuinely hungry or genuinely in need of gas or something, unfortunately, the risk is too great for me that I would be feeding an illegal habit or contributing to a crime...if I thought someone took money I gave them to get drunk or high and then committed a crime under the influence I'd feel responsible.

Instead, I would rather support charities like soup kitchens.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
No Puffy, you did nothing wrong. $5 is a generous hand-out. It really bothers me when you give money to someone out of the kindness of your heart and they demand more. This guy was even ruder than that nominally rude situation usually is.

I'm with Sam--the original $5 could have been legitimate (but probably not.) But asking for the second fiver pretty much guarantees he's on crack or meth. $10 is the standard price for a piece of crack.

I never give more than a dollar unless it's a really convincing sob story. Not solely for any moral dilemmas, I just have my own problems. If I had more I would give more.

quote:
Originally posted by Belle:
I just don't feel comfortable giving out money, too many people will use it for drugs or alcohol. I know some people would be genuinely hungry or genuinely in need of gas or something, unfortunately, the risk is too great for me that I would be feeding an illegal habit or contributing to a crime...if I thought someone took money I gave them to get drunk or high and then committed a crime under the influence I'd feel responsible.

Instead, I would rather support charities like soup kitchens.

That's the tragedy of people conning money-- people don't want to give to the ones who are really desperate because they're afraid of getting scammed.

However, "if I thought someone took money I gave them to get drunk or high and then committed a crime under the influence I'd feel responsible"--that's carrying a causality chain a bit far. If you're against alcohol or drugs that's one thing, but you're not responsible for what people do later down the line.

Personally, I feel we all have our demons to feed. If someone is desperate for food, alcohol or drugs, they're desperate. My giving change or $1 is helping to ease their need. I suppose if I gave more I'd have to analyze it more.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree- it sounds like the person was aggressive and rude. If someone asks you for something you aren't obligated to give, they should do so politely. And if they're doing so in a place like a parking lot, they should be *very* careful to do so in a way that isn't aggressive or threatening. And asking for more?

When I was sixteen or so and visiting London, a woman pushed a paper flower into my lapel and told me they were giving the flowers in exchange for money for a charity. When I gave her a couple of pounds (all I had- I was all of sixteen at the time) she replied "Oh, aren't you going to give paper money? Everyone else gives paper money."

...I almost threw the flower at her and demanded my money back.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.