FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Wicked!

Author Topic: Wicked!
Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
So now that I go to school an hour south of Chicago- I've determined that I want to go and take advantage of the cultural offerings the city has to offer.

In pursuit of that goal- I bought tickets for me and my girlfriend to go see Wicked. I saw it about a month ago- I heard three or four songs before (One Short Day, No Good Deed, Defying Gravity, and What is this Feeling?)

I'm still listening to the soundtrack. It's so good! Has anyone else seen it- what did you guys think?

Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw it in Toronto and I really enjoyed it. I didn't think the ending was entirely necessary, but I liked pretty much every other change they made from the book.

It's a good show. You'll both really enjoy it.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

I saw it about a month ago. We did. I'm just still excited by it. I've also watched Fiddler on the Roof and Hairspray for the first time since then- man my life has just been filled with musicals lately.
Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw it about two years ago in Houston. My roommate and I had been listening to the soundtrack for awhile and we both really liked the show.

Sadly, I don't think of it as an enduring show for me because I haven't listened to the soundtrack forever and aside from "Popular" or "Defying Gravity," I skip all of its songs when my ipod puts it on shuffle.

The musical is SOO much better than the book. I like how it focused so much on the Glinda/Elphaba relationship instead of the meandering wanderings in the book.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw it with the traveling cast rather than the permanent Chicago installation and really enjoyed it. And yes, I had read the novel first. It's radically different from the novel but in a good way (IMHO)

And now that you're that close, we should see about setting up a Chicago get-together!

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I want to see it because I do love several of the songs from it, including the ones listed.
Also Elphaba is cool.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

I'd be down for that. I like in Kankakee county. (Olivet Nazarene University).

I've only be downtown twice (to Navy Pier and Gino's and then to the Oriental). I get to the city by using the train (the electric Metra line to the south suburbs, that way I don't have to worry about driving and then paying for parking- it's a lot less hassle. And if I drove- my parents I think would come from TN just to shoot me)

Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
I really liked it. I took my girlfriend on a very nice date to see Wicked two years ago (and totally didn't pay any attention to her, so caught up was I).

EDIT: Puffy, sorry if I spoiled a surprise for you. If you're just mockin' me, though - well, I got a knuckle sandwich with your name on it.

Actually, I wrote my name on it, but just so that no one tries to borrow it from me.

SPOILERS

I didn't like the ending. If someone dies, keep 'em dead. Let us mourn. Don't be cheap and bring 'em back.

[ January 06, 2008, 01:58 AM: Message edited by: Joldo ]

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Elphaba lives?!? [Eek!]
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

I've read the book and listened to the soundtrack, but have never seen the actual musical. [Blushing]
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm about 2/3 of the way through the book, but I don't know a thing about the musical, other than that it exists.

The book is okay, but I keep trying to figure out at what point someone read it and decided, "This needs to be a lavish Broadway musical." Any idea how that happened?

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
*spoiler*
Honestly, there's plenty of foreshadowing that Elpheba will live. You see her standing in the rain, and the thought that water will melt her is explicitly mocked. I thought the ending worked.
*end spoiler*
I love this show. It's one of my two favorite musicals. And the more I watch it or listen to the cast recording, the more subtle things I pick up on. I've only become more convinced since seeing this show of its brilliance.

I saw it on Broadway once and I saw the traveling version twice. Of course there's a drop-off between Broadway and the traveling version, but not as bad as others I have seen.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
Who's playing Elphaba? (I've been spoiled by seeing Idina Menzel in the part several times, so everyone else seems drastically subpar. [Razz] )
Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by Speed:
The book is okay, but I keep trying to figure out at what point someone read it and decided, "This needs to be a lavish Broadway musical." Any idea how that happened?

Universal acquired the option to film the novel as a live action movie. While trying to work out a script, they kept noticing that the most famous "Oz" adaptation of all time was the MGM musical version.

It's also the era of big, expensive, family-oriented shows. It was thought the familiarity of the Oz characters combined with the viewpoint twist would make for a hit family show.

They gambled right, judging by the success of the show.

Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Currently, Dee Roscioli plays Elphie in Chicago. She was the understudy and stepped up, according to the show website. No other acting credits listed.

Stephanie Block, who was Elphie for the traveling cast when I saw it, is now in the Broadway cast replacing Idina.

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Reading the book, it's clear Gregory M. was more familiar with the MGM musical version than the Baum novel. Making the Witches of West and East sisters, making Glinda come from the north, giving Elphaba green skin, making Dorothy into a fragile-hearted weeper...all that comes from the film. [Smile]
Icarus
Member # 3162

I'd say he was familiar with both, although of course he took liberties. I read the original Wizard of Oz to my kids not long after I saw the show, and then I saw the original movie with my kids. There were some things he got from the book. But his excuse for anything he changed, like Bok's role, was "the story you've heard isn't the true story, it's the one they *want* you to believe."

quote:
Originally posted by Goody Scrivener:
Stephanie Block, who was Elphie for the traveling cast when I saw it, is now in the Broadway cast replacing Idina.

No, Idina was replaced by Shoshana Bean, who was amazing. Block is perhaps replacing Bean. I've seen both Bean and Block in the role, and Bean was substantially better.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Some things from the book, yes, though mostly altered.

I think around the time the musical was released his official line on the book and movie incarnations of Oz versus his revisionist version is that Wicked is "Another time, another life"...sort of an alternate universe Oz.

Icarus
Member # 3162

I would love to see a movie version of Wicked, even if it's just a direct-to-video filming of the stage version.

::hopes::

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw it on Broadway with the original cast. It was spectacular.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
I read the book, loved it. I mean, loved it a lot, thought it was a great read and thought, you know, in a lot of ways, that it was a work of brilliant literature. Then I listened to the soundtrack of the musical and thought: This doesn't seem to jive. Then I read a synopsis of the musical and thought: Seriously. What in the world.

I know, I know, I'm in the minority. [Smile]

Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

No, not at all. The musical may as well be a different piece of art, and people who love the book and go to see the musical need to be warned, or they're in for a surprise. Likewise, people who love the musical and then read the book need to be warned as well.

But the musical, while very different from the book, is still wonderful. And it does have a lot of the book's subversiveness and depth. It's just a little more hidden.

(And really only act one is happy and upbeat. Act two is much darker.)

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.