FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I won’t call myself an "atheist" anymore (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: I won’t call myself an "atheist" anymore
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
Well whatever name an atheist takes will come to assume the connotation of "godless sinner" or whatever it is that you want to avoid by the sheer fact that atheists are such an extreme minority when compared to those who profess a belief in something Higher. One reasonable response though is perhaps not to have a name for atheism, the same way you wouldn't have a name for not believing in witches or dwarfs.
Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
I wouldn't call it a theology. It's pretty clearly a philosophy. The word you're looking for, again, is "existentialist."

[Smile]
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
Crap!

I think I'm an a-egotheist.

But, I think "existentialist" or "materialist" might be a more mainstream moniker (leaning towards "existentialist")

Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suminonA
Member # 8757

- posted      Profile for suminonA   Email suminonA         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Flying Dracula Hair:
quote:
I am many “not somethings”, but in the case of “atheism” the prejudice is far too great to ignore.
Really? It's yet to be an issue in my life. People invested in this sort of thing, whether they're a theist or atheist just to inquire further. We start off with that, and then specifics are talked about, y'know?
Well, I can only wish you get more experience.

In my experience, too often at the sound of the label “atheist”, people exclaim “What!?, I won’t talk to such an amoral person, I can’t learn anything valuable from you, I being right already!”. When you deal with that for a few times, you’ll probably renounce the label too. Unless you won’t mind the prejudice.

quote:
Originally posted by The Flying Dracula Hair:
Which is where I, me personally, find 'some' sour taste for these kinds of words. I just don't like that these home-made tags are made to do all the talking for you, it seems like if you can come up with enough and someone wants to get to know you in casual way you can just open your mouth and unload all these terms and then just RUN away and leave the person to piece together your character.
If you're really afraid the specific dude you happen to be talking to is going to judge you can't you say I don't believe in a God/gods/am-an-atheist BUT I don't buy this this and this. Rather than go for the K.O right away and drop
I'm a Hepleglorpemist!!
Yeah!

Especially since you're probably going to have to explain what you mean anyway with this specific one.

See, this is where I’m going with this. Finding a term that sounds “familiar”, but is original enough to show from the start that a mere label doesn’t explain anything. And that would force people to have a dialogue to find out what my real stand is. If they decide I’m very close to what they call an “atheist”, then they would probably prefer that label. Yet, it’s not the distinction per se that triggered this discussion, but MAKING the distinction. Starting a discussion acknowledging that the label is not all there is to one’s system of beliefs is my goal.

Think about this: Where do you think the difference is greater, between two “atheists” or between two “ego(the genitive if there is one)theologists” ?
In my experience people don’t bother to think more than “if you’re an atheist, you surely applaud R. Dawkins”. I hate that.
In the case of my new label, they won’t know what I’m talking about from the label itself, so the acknowledgement I’m looking for is easier to get. [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by the_Somalian:
Well whatever name an atheist takes will come to assume the connotation of "godless sinner" or whatever it is that you want to avoid by the sheer fact that atheists are such an extreme minority when compared to those who profess a belief in something Higher.

When someone learns what my system of beliefs contains, they might find something that they consider “something Higher”, and put me in some theist camp. I think that interpretation would be wrong, but that would be their right to do it. And if I’m a “godless sinner” by definition of their favourite deity, then that’s what they believe, but I’m not going to put myself in that position by default.

quote:
One reasonable response though is perhaps not to have a name for atheism, the same way you wouldn't have a name for not believing in witches or dwarfs.

This is the point Sam Harris makes. I agree with it.

quote:
Originally posted by Boothby171:
Crap!

I think I'm an a-egotheist.

But, I think "existentialist" or "materialist" might be a more mainstream moniker (leaning towards "existentialist")

I have a question: do you reject all form of “divine” or “Higher Power” (I call it Meta Entity)? Do you think that any such concept is a by-product of our existence (that is, of our imagination), the same way our existence is a by-product of the material Universe?

A.

Posts: 1154 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
... atheists are such an extreme minority when compared to those who profess a belief in something Higher.

We're the extreme minority. Rock. What does that mean? We're not just a normal minority group but we also snowboard and play beach volleyball at the same time [Wink]
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:
quote:
... atheists are such an extreme minority when compared to those who profess a belief in something Higher.

We're the extreme minority. Rock. What does that mean? We're not just a normal minority group but we also snowboard and play beach volleyball at the same time [Wink]
Gnarly.

Since when is 10% an extreme minority?

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by suminonA:
In the case of my new label, they won’t know what I’m talking about from the label itself, so the acknowledgement I’m looking for is easier to get.

Well, this might be your problem. In general, the point of language is to communicate something. If you're intentionally looking for a word that doesn't communicate, then a lot of people are going to be giving you advice that doesn't meet your goal.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suminonA
Member # 8757

quote:
Originally posted by dkw:
quote:
In the case of my new label, they won’t know what I’m talking about from the label itself, so the acknowledgement I’m looking for is easier to get.

Well, this might be your problem. In general, the point of language is to communicate something. If you're intentionally looking for a word that doesn't communicate, then a lot of people are going to be giving you advice that doesn't meet your goal.
You can look at it that way. But what I want this label to communicate is X, where X is the fact that more communication is needed than just the label. I think X is important and that is the reason of this thread.

A.

Posts: 1154 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Back in my network marketing days, the gurus would advise us to find ways to get people to ask us about the stuff we were selling. But it can backfire. Like there was some billboard for something in Utah. It just had a face and a word on it, and they clearly wante dme to go plug the word into the internet. But I can't remember what the word was. And I didn't like feeling manipulated like that.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suminonA
Member # 8757

pooka, I see your point. Come to think of it, I’d rather be “manipulated” into communication than just applying the prejudice that comes with a “known” label. I know I myself have a lot of prejudices because when I analyse what I know about some label/story and why I believe what I believe about it, most of the times I realize my knowledge is limited and my belief is not justified (in the context of the larger picture). The only way out is education, which cannot exist without communication.

(BTW, I think the ability to communicate, as poor as it is, is what makes Human Kind be the dominant species on this planet. So if it’s our greatness, let’s not use it for indoctrination and limiting ourselves …)

A.

Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Then, why make a distinction? Firstly, because “atheist” is too close to “godless” which is too close to “sinful” which is too close to “amoral”

You don't need a religion to have morals and ethics. I think this misunderstanding has so many religious people afraid of atheists...they seem to think that the only thing keeping them good is religion. Not true at all. Atheists are the most humanist people around. The key to morals/ethics is how you treat Humanity. As long as you are good to the Human Race you are good.

As for myself atheist/agnostic/humanist all discribe me. [Smile]

Great post btw!

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
As long as you are good to the Human Race you are good.
Not to nitpick, but I probably wouldn't consider someone "good" if they tortured small dogs.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suminonA
Member # 8757

Maybe the Humanists put their accent on Human Race, in such a way that the threshold for what would be considered “torture” for small dogs would be quite different as compared to the threshold for Humans. So, in a situation where one has to choose between the two, (imagine perfecting a drug for Humans involving the extraction of parts of the nervous system of living small dogs – I must have a very sick imagination right now), what would you say? If the Human disease is incredibly torturing, and there is no other way, what would you think of the scientist doing the research on small dogs?

Replace even, “small dogs” with “stem cells” (which for a while were only available from very young Human embryos!).

A.

pooka
Member # 5003

What if the small dogs have valuable information pertaining to national security?

I was going to put one definition of torture and then realized that's not the predominant usage.

If one's impetus to communicate is exemplified by obfuscation, it will be a rare correspondent who will strike the bait.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
If someone told me was an egotheologist with the express purpose of starting a conversation about himself, I would drop the "theolo" and the conversation.
Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suminonA
Member # 8757

Javert Hugo, would you prefere it if I presented myself with no label at all?

Something like: "I'm labeless".

A.

Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
I had this exact conversation on Sunday:

"What is your religious background?"
"I grew up [blank], but I believe [blank] and am interested in [blank]."

That would work fine. Much better than the "I am God. Ask me how!" button.

Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, that would make sense. Labels are shortcuts. What you seem to want is for people not to take shortcuts to understanding your philosophy. Labeling it seems contrary to what you want.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suminonA
Member # 8757

quote:
Originally posted by kmbboots:
Well, that would make sense. Labels are shortcuts. What you seem to want is for people not to take shortcuts to understanding your philosophy. Labeling it seems contrary to what you want.

[Smile]

I have no problem with sticking to the "labeless" label. (It also engenders a Paradox, so I love it!)

Javert Hugo, it seems you can help me too, in a very weird way... [Wink]

A.

Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Javert Hugo:
That would work fine. Much better than the "I am God. Ask me how!" button.

Oooo...where can one acquire such buttons?
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

Just get a "that was easy" button and a sharpie.
suminonA
Member # 8757

Just use "egotheist" or "egotheologist". [Wink]

A.

Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
Answering suminomA,

"I have a question: do you reject all form of “divine” or “Higher Power” (I call it Meta Entity)? Do you think that any such concept is a by-product of our existence (that is, of our imagination), the same way our existence is a by-product of the material Universe?"

Do I reject...? Yes.

Do I think that such concepts are by-products of our existence? Wha? I think that they are all a comforting fiction.

Do I think that there is something amazing about self-awareness? You bet.

--Steve

Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suminonA
Member # 8757

Thanks, Steve. [Smile]

A.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.