FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Legacy machine makes grinding whirring noise and restarts

Author Topic: Legacy machine makes grinding whirring noise and restarts
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Alright with a new hard drive I'm trying to install Linux my only problem is that when I turn the machine on it sometimes gets to the Ubuntu screen but then shuts off on its own. Other times it posts then shuts off sometimes it doesnt post at all just restarts.

What could be the problem?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Grinding whirring is usually mechanical. About the only thing mechanical in a computer is the hard drive.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

The hard drive is new though...
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
From what you've said, I'd suspect a power issue.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, a weak power supply is most likely.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
If you hear grinding and you see random restarts at multiple random places during boot, my first guess would be your processor is overheating, and the grinding is your processor fan not functioning properly.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

its a Pentium III, I highly doubt it could over heat enough, but the case is off and I see the fan functioning normally. It could be possible I am mistaking grinding for electric noise.
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, then my guess would be the same as Tom and fugu.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
And you're sure it's going full speed? I dunno about you, but I can't tell by looking whether a fan is moving at 1000 rpm or 3500 rpm.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

k, changed back to the older power supply and it seems to work fine now, odd.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Ubuntu seems to come with an inbuilt memory tester.......

so far I am 200+ failing addresses [Big Grin]

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Now I am at 500+
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

There are now 4000+ failing memory addresses.
NotMe
Member # 10470

- posted      Profile for NotMe   Email NotMe         Edit/Delete Post 
If memtest shows more than about 2 errors, then your RAM is not functioning properly. (Unless you are near a powerful source of ionizing radiation, which isn't likely, given that you are still alive.) Either your RAM is running at too high a clock speed for the voltage being provided, or it is truly dying.

You should try to isolate the errors to a specific memory module. You can usually do this by looking at what range of addresses are failing. If all your sticks are failing (assuming you have multiple modules), then it is still likely a power issue. If you only have a single problematic stick, try testing it in a different machine.

Posts: 145 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.