FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Audacity of Hope

Author Topic: The Audacity of Hope
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
I did a search and didn't find a thread about this. I'm sorry if it's already been discussed somewhere that I missed. If so, please point me in the right direction.

I started reading Obama's book because I'm liking so much of what I hear about him that I'm *this* close to actually registering as a democrat rather than an independent so that I can vote for him in the democratic primaries. (I can't do so as an independent, right?) This feels like a big step for me because I'm rather firm in my feelings that both parties are too flawed and too far from my personal beliefs to officially support.

I realized that 90% of what I knew about him I had learned from Hatrack, and that left me feeling vulnerable to a possible bias you all might have. I wanted to find out what he was really like and whether he was really worth taking the step to support, and the best way I could think of to do that was to read, in his own words, a book that appeared to summarize his political ideology.

I started reading The Audacity of Hope last night, and I'm only partway into the second chapter now. I'd like to continue posting in this thread as I continue to read the book. But for now, here are my impressions:

1) Obama has a very clear, personable writing voice that makes for pleasant reading. The content isn't easy, but his style makes it easy to read.

2) In chapter one, he described almost exactly my feelings on what's wrong with both parties today. Near the end of the chapter, he toed the line of demonizing republicans, but his disclaimer at the beginning—that, as a democrat, his book will have a democratic bias—basically cleared him of guile for that.

Basically, the reason I haven't aligned myself with either party is that I find it ridiculous that moral issues are getting mixed up with political parties. Who says those who support a fairer educational system should also necessarily support abortion? Why should a person who supports less governmental intervention in the economy also necessarily oppose gay rights or gun control? It makes no sense to me.

I also dislike the fact that candidates, especially in presidential races, tend to focus on the fringe issues that separate them from the other party than on more basic issues that are bothering ordinary Americans. I hate that politicians seem to like to argue to win rather than work to find a compromise that both parties can agree to—the type of compromise that, I believe, theoretically makes our two-party system great. But nowadays it seems neither party wants to give an inch of ground to the other lest it appear weak.

Anyway, reading Obama's description of the problem and what might have caused it was really, really interesting. It made me like him even more.

3) It's interesting to read about what it's like to campaign for office and to be a US senator.

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Check with your state. Some allow independents to vote in the primaries. Only one of the promaries, though. [Smile]
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
I like Obama, but I found the book to be incredibly boring, and completely unreadable. I kept skipping ahead trying to find something that interested or impassioned me. I was very disappointed. Must be the fiction editor in me.
Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Obama's books are actually pretty good. By which I mean they're stellar, when compared to the overall mass of political 'let's talk about me!' books.

I've sorta unapologetically been in favor of Obama because long ago I was talking him up as being an example of how our congressmen should compose themselves, no matter which side of the aisle they were on. He was a pretty inspiring dude. I may have entertained the possibility that he'd make a great president like that was possible ha ha and now, .. now he's .. the presidential frontrunner?

I don't know. It's bizarro world politics for me. I'm used to the lesser-evil complex in American politics, and now here's a guy who I'd vote for in principle and also who I'd vote for out of practicality. Does not compute. Not in Kansas anymore, toto.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
In Kansas, the Democratic Party primaries are open to independents.
Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
In 2004, the Utah Democratic Primary was open - I know because I went over the East Millcreek library and voted for Edwards. It wasn't just to kick Kerry in the shins - I honestly thought Edwards was more electable in the general.

The deadline to change parties in Maryland was back in November.

P.S. Last night I dreamed that I came up with a hilarious pun on Audacity of Hope. It was Opacity of... something. It was just one of those dreams where you think you're totally brilliant and you wake up and realize "that didn't make any sense at all". But last year, before his wiki pages were having everything brilliant edited off them, I was able to read parts of it and his take on minorities was what sold me on his potential.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
In CA, unaffiliated voters can vote in any one primary they choose to.

Not, of course, that our primaries mean much.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
You will more this year than you think. You might not get nearly the press that New Hampshire or Iowa get (or that Michigan will get this year! Yay!) but I really think that this year specifically that it will be close going into HyperTuesday. Giuliani is banking his win on states like CA and NY. Obama and Hillary will be neck and neck I think going into that, and I think four Republicans will be alive too. Cali could be kingmaker if it votes in strong numbers for a particular candidate. It's not like previous years when, by the time it gets to you and other states the thing is all over. That's why things got moved up so far this year.

Michigan's independents can vote in either primary as well.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
California has so much weight in the general, I don't think you can complain about your primary being irrelevant. But like Lyr says, the Republican race in particular might still be tippable by then.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I wasn't complaining-- although my vote never seems to mean anything. But our primary is just so late that usually more than half the candidates have dropped out.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
I protested at the presidential inaugeration in 2004. I had volunteered for Senator Obama in his senate race and I was wearing an Obama button. Scores of people from all over came up to me and said that he was the one bright spot of hope in the elections that year.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

It won't be that way this year KQ.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
String
Member # 6435

- posted      Profile for String   Email String         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
(or that Michigan will get this year! Yay!)

Michigan's independents can vote in either primary as well.

I know right, since when do we matter?

I'm torn between Ron Paul and Huckabee. I don't think Paul can win it, so I might go for the next best thing in my opinion.

Posts: 278 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I'm going uncommitted on the Democrat side.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.