FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » My computer kicked the bucket. Help me buy a new one.

Author Topic: My computer kicked the bucket. Help me buy a new one.
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
My computer's video card died on me and since it's a laptop so that means it's integrated to the motherboard. Fixing it means I have to shell out 400+ USD to replace the part and install it. I'm thinking I'm better off selling it in parts on eBay and just get a new one.
Trouble is that there are tons of computers out there and while I've decided that I want a desktop this time around, I still need some help in finding the computer for me.

As a media student, I do a lot of video editing and 3D graphics. The programs I use the most are After Effects, Photoshop, and Maya. I don't want a laptop anymore because even though I love the portability of one, they tend to be less bang for your buck when compared to desktops.

I was looking into HP's new Blackbird pc, google it. That thing is SUPAH SEXXXY and it's got everything I need, but I wonder if there's something out there that could cost less and have just as much power.

My budget? At most 2,300 USD but I'd prefer something less expensive.

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
talk to me on gmail I'll help you.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
Dell's XPS 420 is a bit more affordable.

But that Blackbird sure is pretty.

Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adfectio
Member # 11070

- posted      Profile for adfectio   Email adfectio         Edit/Delete Post 
Although I would push building one yourself, where you can get a really great computer for under 1000, if you'd rather just buy one, I'd go HP. There have been a few bad stories about them, but for the most part, They've proven themselves pretty reliable to me, at least as long as you have a warranty.

I stay as far away from Dell (and now Alienware, too) as I can. I've had nothing but bad experience with their computers, their parts, their customer service. You name it, and Dell has done badly for me.

Oh, and if you were considering it, Blayne has enough problems with his own computers.......

Posts: 349 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
If I had the cash I think I'd go with the Blackbird 002. I looked into it when it was first introduced, it seemed pretty sweet.
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
The Blackbird is overpriced for its components.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by adfectio:
Although I would push building one yourself, where you can get a really great computer for under 1000, if you'd rather just buy one, I'd go HP.

My stepson just built a computer for me at very low cost, and it arrived today. [Smile]

Good luck, AoD!

---

Edited to add: dead laptop + already deep in debt + need for electronic review access ~10h/day = snafu

technogeek stepson = priceless!

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:

Holy crap, yes. I just looked at the base configuration, and I think you could build something comparable for less than half the price.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
I would read up (the system guides on arstechnica.com would be good) and go to a place like mwave or newegg and look into a "barebones system". They plug in the CPU, RAM, powersupply and motherboard all into a case, and do a quick tesk of it. Installing other stuff is just a matter of screwing things in and an OS install. It also leaves you more flexible to partial upgrades down the road, so you upgrade you whole system less cheaply.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
I've had pretty good luck with ibuypower.com (my last two desktops were from there) I like it because it's about half-way between doing it all on your own and buying a prefab computer.

Basically you can pick out just about everything you want (i.e. beefier power supplies, more case fans, set up RAID configurations etc etc) but they put it together for a pretty good price. Though I don't know how their customer service is. I'm sure there's other similar places online, but that's the one I've had experience with.

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adfectio
Member # 11070

- posted      Profile for adfectio   Email adfectio         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Boy:
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:

Holy crap, yes. I just looked at the base configuration, and I think you could build something comparable for less than half the price.
However some people aren't as comfortable which building their own/ installing an OS. In which case, buying one is their only option.
Posts: 349 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TheGrimace:
I've had pretty good luck with ibuypower.com (my last two desktops were from there) I like it because it's about half-way between doing it all on your own and buying a prefab computer.

Basically you can pick out just about everything you want (i.e. beefier power supplies, more case fans, set up RAID configurations etc etc) but they put it together for a pretty good price. Though I don't know how their customer service is. I'm sure there's other similar places online, but that's the one I've had experience with.

It seems like it could be the way to go, I played around with their stuff for a bit and came up with a good machine. Before I whip out the cash though, I decided to take a look at them in the BBB, and I didn't like what I saw. Check out the reviews.
BBB Profile

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Avoid this company, and find another one.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by adfectio:
However some people aren't as comfortable which building their own/ installing an OS. In which case, buying one is their only option.

You could still buy a premade system elsewhere for considerably less. You could get a Dell XPS with a better processor for about $900 less. The only real difference would be that the Dell wouldn't have a water-cooled processor, but it's not like that affects performance anyway.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.