FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » D&D question (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: D&D question
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
If I am level adjustment/ecl + 1, what exp do i need to get from 1 to 2, 2-3 etc.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
your lvl 1-2 transition would be the 2-3 transition on the exp tables (sorry, I don't have the books in front of me)
Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

so 2-3 is like 3-4?
scholar
Member # 9232

- posted      Profile for scholar   Email scholar         Edit/Delete Post 
basically (so 3000 for 1-2, 6000 for level 2-3). It's kinda like you took a level in race (which gives you no benefit except being the race).
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

k, where do I find info on ithilids?
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

nvm found it, our misfit party of lvl 1's took out a ithilid [Big Grin]
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
That is actually very surprising. Of course, if some of you have level adjustments, you're not actually a first-level party.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

we had a dromite psion, a dromite fighter, a Half dragon sorceror, a human psion or wizard im not sure, and a human rogue.

Sufice it to say that the psion/wizard and the half dragon were both sent unconscience as a result of the battle.

The half dragon was lvl 1 (ecl+1) and I think everyone else was level 2.

Lemme think, Christine, Joe, Alex, Dave, and myself. everyone but me (the half dragon) were level 2. I kamikaze'd to do shocking grasp, Alex as pummeled by the tenticles, but we managedto take it down.

I can't wait till next week as I'm level three now, so I can use a breath weapon.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Characters: We are all chaotic good/chaotic neutral party members.

2 Dromites, kind alike Pinky and the Brain here, Dave's Dromite is... Insane, while Joe's is diplomatic and rational, (and a psion).

A rogue human.
A wizard human.

And me, a half dragon (Blue) Sorceror.

Were traveling through the cave engaging hobgoblins as we go, but then we make it to a bridge, and start going across it with the insane one leading. Suddenly we encounter the Ithilid (I only realizing its an Ithilid when its descrbed as having 4 tenticles) it compels Dave's insane Dromite to jump off a cliff into the waters below but he makes it out and rejoins the fight.

We take turns fighting it I acid splash it dealing 1 damage, it turns on alex's wizard, Alex goes down. dealing 4 attacks with the tenticle thingies, I don't remember what Dave's and Joe's Dromite's did or what the rogue did, but I boldly stepped in and did shocking grasp, Dave attacks, Christine's rogue attacks and it dies.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Dromites also have a +1 level adjustment. That said, if you were playing with the psionics rules, the mind flayer should still have been able to take out the whole party with mind blast -- and can, remember, plane shift at will. So you got lucky. [Wink]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Or had a sloppy DM.

My group almost got TPK'ed by some kind of flaming skeletal hydra thing. Tom will probably know what it is called. The DM I play with is really into picking the most obscure monsters from the Monster manuals that fits our CR.

Nothing like 7d6+7d4 of damage on a full attack (7 heads).

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
some kind of flaming skeletal hydra thing.
That's Todd.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Question how does the DM determine who NPC's attack does he determine it himself or is there dice rolls?
Scott R
Member # 567

He determines it himself.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

The DM can even determine that. If the creature is a mindless killing machine, the DM can roll to see who gets attacked first. This is usually the most fair way of playing and the DMs I've played with usually expose the roll so that players know what he's up to and don't feel like the DM has a grude.

However, this isn't required and the DM can use as much strategy as he/she wants. The DM I'm currently playing with is really into nearly killing us all. He's actually pretty good at it. Our Paladin is pretty sick of being unconscious through most of combat, though.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Selran
Member # 9918

- posted      Profile for Selran   Email Selran         Edit/Delete Post 
Random rolling is fine for things like zombies, but most NPCs, even animals, will have some ability to evaluate the the relative threat level of the characters and should act accordingly. There is nothing unfair about a bunch of orcs gang banging the wizard to take him out in the first round. It's what the players are going to do.
Posts: 212 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I've always been of the opinion that if you get a TPK, the DM has failed along with everyone else.

It's easy to make an encounter that will kill everyone. It's much harder to make an encounter where everyone will feel challenged yet no one will die (except out of their own stupidity)

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Scott R:
quote:
some kind of flaming skeletal hydra thing.
That's Todd.
Scott wins the thread.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

quote:
Originally posted by Selran:
Random rolling is fine for things like zombies, but most NPCs, even animals, will have some ability to evaluate the the relative threat level of the characters and should act accordingly. There is nothing unfair about a bunch of orcs gang banging the wizard to take him out in the first round. It's what the players are going to do.

quote:
Originally posted by My Awesome Self:
If the creature is a mindless killing machine, the DM can roll to see who gets attacked first.

Read: Flaming Skeletal Hydra Thing = Mindless Killing Machine = CR for four 10th level characters.

Hardly a shambling horde of zombies.

See also:
quote:
However, this isn't required and the DM can use as much strategy as he/she wants.

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

quote:
Originally posted by The Pixiest:
I've always been of the opinion that if you get a TPK, the DM has failed along with everyone else.

It's easy to make an encounter that will kill everyone. It's much harder to make an encounter where everyone will feel challenged yet no one will die (except out of their own stupidity)

I agree completely. My DM is really good at this. Almost every encounter has been a close fight. It just gets a little tiring when all you ever do is nearly die every time you fight. This especially sucks since I'm the meat shield.

Which reminds me, when and if we ever get into a town, I really need to boost my DEX. My poor Monk is really hurting in the AC department.

Selran
Member # 9918

quote:
Originally posted by Primal Curve:
quote:
Originally posted by Selran:

quote:
If the creature is a mindless killing machine, the DM can roll to see who gets attacked first.

Read: Flaming Skeletal Hydra Thing = Mindless Killing Machine = CR for four 10th level characters.

Hardly a shambling horde of zombies.

See also:
quote:
However, this isn't required and the DM can use as much strategy as he/she wants.

My point was not only can a DM use tactics to decide who to attack, but that is what he should do. I don't recognize the skeletal hydra thing, but I would assume any CR10 undead to be intelligent.
Posts: 212 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
PC: Ya, once in a while you need a fight where you just completely roll over your opponents and no one gets scratched.

Last capaign run by my hubby and DM (before the one we just started) every fight ended with one person at 2hp and the rest bleeding to death. That was great and challenging but very tiring.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
In the real life game I run, near the end of the session the characters (all level 7 or 8) were fighting a level 13 cleric. The cleric used unholy word and paralysed everyone but the sorcerer. The party cleric was only paralyzed for 1 minute. However, the evil cleric was being held by the black tentacle spell so the sorcerer blasted away with spells. Just as the sorcerer ran out of spells the good clerics' paralyzed time runs out and she casts remove paralysis on the dwarf fighter right next to her.

By this time the evil cleric is free of the tentacles and moving after the sorcerer. The evil cleric blasts the sorcerer to -2HP but is close enough to the dwarf fighter that he 5 foot steps and full attacks the cleric, killing her.

The rest of the party was going to be paralyzed for at least two more minutes.

Everyone let out a sigh of relief.

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

After getting a serious pummeling (I was down to -5hp, and our Cleric was down too, our Rogue and our Paladin (Hide from Undead) went invisible. This caused the Hydra to retreat into the pool he emerged from. While the Paladin went around and dished out a little Lay on Hands action, the rogue setup a little trap.

He had a rod of ropes and he was able to lay out a trip wire on the cavern leading to the pool. After I got up, the beast charged us. The DM intended to roll a Strength check to have the Hydra blast through the rope and beat us to death, but he critical fumbled!

At that point, the Hydra was nearly dead anyways, but it was a great triumph for our little Rogue, who really couldn't do much else in the fight.

MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a question that I could never figure out:

When you get bitten by a natural lycanthrope and fail the save you turn into an afflicted lycanthrope. An afflicted lycanthrope gains an ecl of +2. What happens to the player's experience? Does the player gain experience to put them between their ecl and the next one, or does they remain at the same experience and have to earn a ton more just to level up?

Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Selran
Member # 9918

If a template is gained at some point after character creation, the character's experience and level progression are not affected. The ECL only matters for comparing the PC's power level to the challenge rating for purposes of calculating experience.
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
So...when is D&D 4E coming out?
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, you can tell it's been a little while since the last D&D-related thread. The question was answered with the first post, so then everyone just hangs out sharing D&D stories.

Ahem. I agree with Pixiest. Making the players fear for their lives is a lot more fun than making the players lose their lives. Honestly, as a DM, I feel like such a jerk when one of my players dies.

Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

So the raised ecl wouldn't make the experience necessary to level up greater?

Oh, and I forgot my other question.

The game manual states that a wizard has a 100 page spell book, and that every spell he needs to prepare must be in the spell book, and that spells take up pages directly proportional to their level. Wouldn't this mean that the wizard is even more limited in spells to cast than a sorcerer? Or is it possible for the wizard to have more than one spell book, or a larger spell book?

[ January 10, 2008, 03:14 PM: Message edited by: MEC ]

Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Selran
Member # 9918

quote:
Originally posted by MEC:
So the raised ecl wouldn't make the experience necessary to level up greater?

No, but they would end up earning less XP. As an example, in a party of four fifth level characters, with one of them ECL 6, up against a CR5 creature the three regular level five guys would have there XP calculated as lvl. 5 vs. CR5 and the ECL6 guy would have it calculated as lvl. 6 vs. CR5. Over time this will rebalance the power level of the party.

quote:
The game manual states that a wizard has a 100 page spell book, and that every spell he needs to prepare must be in the spell book, and that spells take up pages directly proportional to their level. Wouldn't this mean that the wizard is even more limited in spells to cast than a sorcerer? Or is it possible for the wizard to have more than one spell book, or a larger spell book? [/QB]
A wizard can have more than one spell book, or a bigger than normal one, or a smaller on. 100 pages is just the standard one they all start with.

quote:
Originally posted by Puffy Treat:
So...when is D&D 4E coming out?

June 6, 2008
Selran
Member # 9918

On a somewhat related note, does anybody play any roleplaying games other than D&D? Over the past year I've really gotten into the small press, or "indie" games like Dogs in the Vineyard, Spirit of the Century and Primetime Adventures.
scholar
Member # 9232

I love Amber but the GM (my hubby) finds it difficult. I haven't heard of either of those, but my husband loves non-D20 systems. He bought Elric and Traveler as Christmas presents for himself. We have old version BESM, Sengoku (I think that's its name), Marvel system, and there are more but I don't remember them right now. Dreampark maybe. We also play other worlds from DnD (Rokugan, Raveloft, Eberron).
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
On the Death vs Good Fight theme, back in the day I created an NPC who's sole occupation was to bring folks up to the point of death, with the understanding that they could escape such disaster by surrendering their soul.

This was a Devil (yes, back in the day when the Monster Manual had Devils and Demons in them) named Mendax (who later wound up being used by DM's around the world, thanks to one of my players who borrowed him while in the Army, and let other copy him on bases from El Paso to Germany and Kosovo)

He was a master of illusion and timeless strategy who was harvesting souls for his master's legion of the dead. He created whole dungeons just to threaten the lives out of players, or create elaborate plots of intrigue, or by disguising himself as a potential ally, willing to save the group, for a price.

I only had one character ever give him the price. My first thought was "Great, now what am I going to do?" I chose to have the DM control that character at given times, taking free will away from the player, and creating havoc amongst the group.

I miss Mendax

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Selran
Member # 9918

quote:
Originally posted by scholar:
I haven't heard of either of those,

Some links for more information:

Dogs in the Vineyard
Spirit of the Century
Primetime Adventures

Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Other systems I've played: Deadlands, Shadowrun, Call of Cthulhu, Rifts, TMNT, Paranoia... I get the feeling there's one or two others but I can't think of them right now.
Systems I've made characters for but the game never actually started: Legends of the Five Rings, Mage, Gamma World

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

I hate to say this, Dan, but Mendax may in fact be best known from another source.
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Pixiest:
PC: Ya, once in a while you need a fight where you just completely roll over your opponents and no one gets scratched.

Last capaign run by my hubby and DM (before the one we just started) every fight ended with one person at 2hp and the rest bleeding to death. That was great and challenging but very tiring.

On a semi-related note, I just finished Final Fantasy on the PSP. My group pretty much steamrolls over everything, regardless of what it may be, except for the occasional boss. Every encounter is now a nuisance more than a challenge. Heck, my black wizard is "one shotting" creatures with his knife...

Yes, eventually there should be something challenging for even the non-stupid players, but for the most part the goal is not to vaporize the group at every step.

And, to be totally honest, as DM I don't remember if I ever killed any players through combat. Sure, I might have dropped them in to lava or skewered them with a ballista, but never through combat. Those that died did so through their own stupidity and bad choices, not because of the dice.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholar
Member # 9232

Deadlands, shadowrun and Rifts I have played or atleast made characters for. Legends of the the Five Rings is same source material as Rokugan. We looked at the non D20 version but decided it would be easier to get people to play if we did the dnd version.
Scott R
Member # 567

About the only game that I've played that hasn't been a d20 variant was Top Secret.

Loads of fun, with a hit and damage system that was intuitive, easy and precise. It was based on d10; you rolled one pair of d10 to hit a target, and if the target was human, one d10 to see where you hit them.

Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Enigmatic:
Systems I've made characters for but the game never actually started:...Gamma World

I have a huge soft spot for Gamma World. Back when I used to play pen and paper RPGs in person I'd say that the split was 60% AD&D 40% Gamma World.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
That soft spot comes from the radiation. It's weakening your bones.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Selran
Member # 9918

I loved the chart you used in Gamma World to figure out the purpose of an artifact.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Another question, are half dragons just 'Half Dragon' or are they half-pickrace/half-dragon? And do racial bonuses apply for both halves?

Example: At character creation I can choose to have either a wing feat or a tail feat if I am a sorceror but if I am half human & half dragon then I get a bonus feat? Thus letting me have both a tail and wings?

MEC
Member # 2968

I'm not sure what you mean by the feats, that's probably specific to your DM. Anyway from my experience for half somethings (celestial, devil, dragon, etc...) you usually choose a compatible starting race and add the half-whatever template to it.

Am I right in understanding that 4E will include a large online play system?

[ January 13, 2008, 09:39 PM: Message edited by: MEC ]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

Yes. It will also include dragonoids right out of the box, suggesting that it's been designed for people like Blayne.
MEC
Member # 2968

In that case, maybe I'll start playing again with 4E, most of my friends who play have scattered, and this would probably make it easier to play together. Is anyone else planning on using 4E?
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I will once the pdf's are out. MEC, interested in playing online sometime? Like even 3rd ed, I have this idea of playing via teamspeak/msn webcam conference.
MEC
Member # 2968

Can't play 3.5, I've sold all the stuff I did have for it (I actually made a profit on it, as I bought the stuff second hand and then auctioned the stuff off), I would be willing to play 4E with anyone once I get it.
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
Blayne, your DM is almost certainly using some sort of non-standard half-dragon. Half-dragon is, in standard rules, a template that you can apply to any living creature. So, you could have a half-orc half-dragon (which I suppose would be a half-dragon, quarter-orc, quarter-human).

The normal half-dragon template says that the level adjustment is +3, and mentions nothing about wing or tail feats, which is why I'm guessing that your DM made the half-dragon or picked it up from a non-core source. You'd have to ask him about the wing/tail thing - though, my guess is that, given that they are feats, rather than special abilities, there shouldn't be any reason that you couldn't take both using your bonus feat (or even your standard 1st level feat available to all characters).

As to racial bonuses, assuming that this half-dragon is set up like a normal template, you should apply both the half-dragon bonuses from the template and racial bonuses to stats and whatnot. However, if your DM is treating half-dragon as a race, rather than template applied to a living creature, most of the stuff I've just said goes flying out the window.

In any case, take anything people say here with a grain of salt - it appears that your DM isn't sticking solely with core rules, so the final say is always up to him in this case.

Oh, and perhaps you meant Illithid , rather than ithilid?

Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

The "Races of the Dragon" 3.5 edition book describes all the draconic races, classes, and whatnot. It has a full list of draconic feats, like 'Draconic heritage' then then next feat 'draconic breath' giving me a breath weapon of my dragon subtype every 1d4 hours. I can now deal 2d6 damage per spell level used to accomodate the breath weapon [Smile]
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.