FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hatrack traditions

Author Topic: Hatrack traditions
suminonA
Member # 8757

- posted      Profile for suminonA   Email suminonA         Edit/Delete Post 
Every community has traditions, and usually they give an added value to a group. It is surely the case of Hatrack.
It is also generally a good idea to know a minimum about those traditions (and try to respect them) if one wants to be accepted in the community. (“When in Rome do as Romans do”.)

My knowledge is still quite limited, so I invite those with more knowledge to share it with the others, especially for the interested Newbies. [Smile]

What I can share:

- A good written Landmark is generally well received. (Maybe someone can explain what a Landmark is in detail, where the tradition comes from and so on)
- Bumping “dead horses” is generally badly received.
- Newbies are generally not allowed to do X. (Is X a void set of actions, or not?)
- Oldbies are generally allowed to do Y. (Maybe someone can explain what is the definition of an Oldbie, that is, when is a Newbie no longer a Newbie? I’ve heard this definition: “If you have to ask, then you’re still a Newbie” [Big Grin] )

There are lots more of issues, like the value of having inside jokes or using multiple aliases and such. And that surely isn’t the end of it.

What can you share of your knowledge about the traditions of Hatrack?

A.

Posts: 1154 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Haven't we had threads along these lines in the past? I'm thinking of the "Hey, Newbie! Yeah, you! Look in here!" thread in specific. Or, well, a thread with a title somewhat closely resembling that one.
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suminonA
Member # 8757

Oh! Here it is: Newbies, Hey Newbies! Look in Here! [Smile]

A search for “newbie” with the “Subject only” filter brought it, and many more threads, up.

Is there nothing to add to what those threads contain?

A.

Posts: 1154 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
SuminonA, You should probably explain what a Mayfly is, since when I first came here I found it to be a little confusing.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember I had to ask what dobies were when I first got here. I think I figured out landmarks on my own, and guessed correctly about mayflies but asked just to be sure, or else it was the other way around.
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suminonA
Member # 8757

quote:
Originally posted by SoaPiNuReYe:
SuminonA, You should probably explain what a Mayfly is, since when I first came here I found it to be a little confusing.

Is that friendly irony, or are you suggesting that any thread containing the explanation of that specific concept is gone too fast off the first page that newbies don’t catch it? [Big Grin]

A.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I think he's saying that we get a "what is a mayfly" thread at least five or six times a year. [Smile]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps it would be more useful to simply be, to exist for a while here, among us, and let any knowledge that you'd expect this thread to impart be acquired naturally and painlessly, without urgency.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I think what Tom is trying to say is this. [Smile]
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suminonA
Member # 8757

<---- *being* [Smile]
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
suminonA, your registration date is October 2005 and you've posted 1,085 times. I'm not sure why you're still so confused about the way things work around Hatrack.

[Smile]

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm very confused about Hatrack myself.
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Heck, sometimes I get confused about Hatrack. [Wink]
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I felt like a newbie, even though I "got" most of the terminology, tones, and even in-jokes on Hatrack, until I had been here about 2 years.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starsnuffer
Member # 8116

- posted      Profile for Starsnuffer   Email Starsnuffer         Edit/Delete Post 
So, seeing as this thread now exists... mind saying explicitly what a mayfly and what a dobie is? (no idea about first, something about a link with the second). Also, how do you change a thread title, as long as we're being newbly here.
Posts: 655 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

You edit the first post of a thread you created to change a thread title. I'm sure you could find out what a mayfly is and what a dobie is by searching, but I'll tell you anyway. A mayfly is a thread that will (or may be) deleted in a short period of time (basically, it's a warning to everyone that their posts may be deleted, as it is considered bad form to delete a thread that others have posted in without warning them adequately.) A dobie is a thread with a title that mimics the title of another thread, and includes a link to a site or page (often a joke page of some sort, but not always) that explains the thread title.
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
Let us grok each other.

Edit: Here's one (at least for me): when making a thread it isn't required that you capitalize the first letter of every word, but if you don't capitalize at least the first word, then I won't read it.

[ January 13, 2008, 08:42 PM: Message edited by: JonHecht ]

Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
I think the most important Hatrack tradition is helping Phanto with personal development and technological issues. It makes everyone feel good about themselves, and Phanto pays back with compounded interest cookie units (cici).
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
There used to be a really good newbie thread. I think ct started it.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
FAQ's for newcomers was the old classic

link

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I think Hatrack's grandest tradition is that of being civil, intelligent, informative, warm, and funny the way very few forums manage to be. There is no quarter for trolls and flame wars here, not just because of excellent moderators like Kathy Kidd and Papa Moose, but because the entire community is interested in preserving the good thing we have here.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There is no quarter for trolls and flame wars here
If only that were true.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. The troll toll is much higher than a quarter nowadays.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
you forgot the 'bug blayne for his grammarically and syntactically wrong posts'.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

- posted      Profile for Brian J. Hill   Email Brian J. Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
you forgot the 'bug blayne for his grammarically and syntactically wrong posts'.

It's gramatically. Geez, Blayne, get it right.
Posts: 786 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
quote:
There is no quarter for trolls and flame wars here
If only that were true.
They do happen, but they're actively sniffed out and quashed. I suppose with a few notable exceptions. But they're not the norm by any means.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suminonA
Member # 8757

quote:
Originally posted by Tammy:
I'm not sure why you're still so confused about the way things work around Hatrack.

[Smile]

[Smile]

Can you guess how many false assumptions you seem to have made by writing that?

A.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Smugness = unattractive.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suminonA
Member # 8757

Another Hathrack tradition is to ask for forgiveness after making a mistake, even if it was unintentional, or the tone was misinterpreted. It’s sometime sad that the interpretation of the sincerity/friendly tone is biased the wrong way.

Off topic: is there a way to defend oneself against the accusation of “smugness” without appearing even smugger for doing so?
/off topic.

A.

PS: I'm sorry if my tone in the previous post was hinting toward smugness.

Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
I think I felt like a newbie, even though I "got" most of the terminology, tones, and even in-jokes on Hatrack, until I had been here about 2 years.

I think I've finally stopped feeling like a newbie. Now I am mostly comfortable with my mostly-lurker status.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm perhaps a newbie in my post-count, but I consider myself to be a veteran since I've been lurking since....'03 or so. That's not to say that I understand or remember all of the quirks and interpersonal things that happen here, but I have a fond appreciation for the sense of community that Hatrack has.

I think that, most of all, is Hatrack's best tradition.

Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.