FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Oliver is his name

Author Topic: Oliver is his name
Luna 9
Member # 11326

- posted      Profile for Luna 9           Edit/Delete Post 
I have a new pet. He is not a dog,nor cat,nor bird,nor fish. He is a rat!And as we speak he is on my shoulder watching me post. tee hee! [Party]
Posts: 87 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I like rats. How cute.
What does he look like?

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Awwww. Pet rats are usually li'l cuties.

Got any pictures? [Smile]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Laugh now, but wait until he starts posting.
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luna 9
Member # 11326

He has a gray head and a gray stripe down his back,and a white body. [Smile]
Posts: 87 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
Rats make great pets. The biggest downside (in my opinion) is the smell and the fact that they will use the bathroom wherever they want to. Other than that, they are fantastic - though I would highly recommend getting another one to keep him company. Rats are generally much happier and healthier in pairs - but be sure you get one of the same gender or you will have many baby rats on your hands. [Smile]
Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luna 9
Member # 11326

No actually, he smells good.
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a pet rat (two, actually) when I was your age. Be sure to play with him a lot - rats are really inquisitive and get bored easily. They're as smart or smarter than dogs, so you can teach him to come when you call, wrestle with your hand, do tricks, etc.
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Oooooh, gray hooded ratties are cuuuute.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RackhamsRazor
Member # 5254

- posted      Profile for RackhamsRazor   Email RackhamsRazor         Edit/Delete Post 
AWWWWW! I love rats. My two rats made the best little pets. "Bean" and "Nugget" had such different personalities and were so much fun. Good luck with Oliver!
Posts: 306 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
I've had pet rats too.
He may smell good now, but that won't last.
Is it really a boy? All the pet rats I've ever seen are girls, for a very good reason.

Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
I have not met the rat yet.

I will be displeased if he tries to eat my face. Very. [ROFL]

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Elmer's Glue:
I've had pet rats too.
He may smell good now, but that won't last.
Is it really a boy?

As in "I smell a rat"?
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
Whenever I think of rats, I think of Ron Weasley. Your on your way to being a good little witch.

No experience with rats, but I raised a duck last summer named Oliver. We found out later that "he" was a "she" and our renamed Olivia now lives on a farm owned by our friend who uses her ducks to train herding dogs.

Soon after I decided that "Oliver" and "Olivia" are two of my favorite names and if I have fraternal twins one day, and if my husband approves, I'll have the names all picked out.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Shanna:
Whenever I think of rats, I think of Ron Weasley. Your on your way to being a good little witch.

No experience with rats, but I raised a duck last summer named Oliver. We found out later that "he" was a "she" and our renamed Olivia now lives on a farm owned by our friend who uses her ducks to train herding dogs.

Soon after I decided that "Oliver" and "Olivia" are two of my favorite names and if I have fraternal twins one day, and if my husband approves, I'll have the names all picked out.

Well? What are they?
Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Esther and Chester.

If they are triplets, she can add Hester or Sylvester or Lester.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luna 9
Member # 11326

I've made a hammock for him out of old blue jeans. [The Wave]
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
In an interesting coincidence, our household recently acquired a cat, whose shelter name was also Oliver, probably because of his red fur. We do not think he is really an Oliver, though. We have yet to come up with a good name.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
How about Sykes.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
If you wish to name a cat-beast, now's your chance! Have a look and tell us what name might be suitable.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope he eats Norwegians, whatever his name is. [ROFL]
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by King of Men:
If you wish to name a cat-beast, now's your chance! Have a look and tell us what name might be suitable.

If you want to give your naming a bit of Aussie flavour (no reason why you would, but it was the first thing that came to mind) you could go with the only moniker a cat of that shade could have in Australia - Bluey.
Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I think Oliver is purrrfect.
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by King of Men:

I'm thinking "Arthur", because he looks quite post-Garfield to me.
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
Esther and Chester.

If they are triplets, she can add Hester or Sylvester or Lester.

When I was but a wee lass, the cats we had were Chester and Lester. I think Lester was the girl. [Smile]
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Rats are uniformly gross.

:shivers:

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luna 9
Member # 11326

No they aren't, that's a stereotype. It's only the ones from sewers that are gross.
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
We had pet rats, and at least one of them would alert us when he had to go to the bathroom and wanted to be put back in his cage.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
KoM, I think you're right. That cat's not an Oliver. I would go with His Majesty, or His Royal Highness. Or possibly His Holiness. [Smile]
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
KOM: The cat looks like a "Maoser" rhymes with bowser, if you're wondering how to pronounce it. Sorta the cat version of kaiser.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.