FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Fed slashes rates in shock move

Author Topic: Fed slashes rates in shock move
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Huge drop in DOW prompts emergency action.
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
If you've got the money, now's the time to buy!
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty certain the market will recover after the uncertainty over the primaries resolves (if it does... hopefully!) Then we can take another wild ride during the general election. [Smile]
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
And the Fed rate slash does nothing. Such large marketwide drops in prices represent calls on futures contracts forcing holders to sell other stocks they own to come up with the money to pay off their losing bets.
Since on any given trading day, there are only a certain number of buyers, any drop in prices is amplified by the futures system when large numbers of futures contracts are called at the same time. The holders must sell to make their contracts, and thus have no choice about going along with price drops. With no choice but to sell, the contagion spreads to other futures contracts based upon those stocks being sold to cover the bets until the market as a whole crashes: ie most of the stocks are being bought&sold at prices below the underlying value of the companies represented by those stocks.
As long as such HIGHLY leveraged gambling upon stock prices is allowed by regulators, such crises are inevitable.

[ January 22, 2008, 04:31 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reshpeckobiggle
Member # 8947

- posted      Profile for Reshpeckobiggle   Email Reshpeckobiggle         Edit/Delete Post 
Welfare for the rich...
Posts: 1286 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, this was a shortsighted move. As a member of the fed (who voted against it) pointed out, this does little to lessen the immediate drop, and is going to be a source of future and more long term problems.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Did you crib the thread title from the CNN ticker or something?
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
It's the title of the BBC News article he linked to. I sometimes do the same thing when I'm creating a news thread.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marek
Member # 5404

- posted      Profile for Marek   Email Marek         Edit/Delete Post 
we're all doomed [Angst]
Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by pooka:
I'm pretty certain the market will recover after the uncertainty over the primaries resolves (if it does... hopefully!) Then we can take another wild ride during the general election. [Smile]

It doesn't really have anything to do with the primaries. The markets have been volatile for awhile, since the subprime mortgage mess hit the fan. With more banks having to take more writedowns due to losses connected to the subprime crisis, with subprime problems leaking out into the wider economy, and with oil prices soaring (which has a lot to do with uncertainty about what will happen in the Middle East), among other factors, investors are becoming extremely worried about a recession here in the US.

It's a very complex problem and I don't think there is going to be any quick fix. Especially not with moves like the Fed's today, which just reeks of panic. This is, after all, the first time the Fed has made a rate move outside of a regularly scheduled meeting since right after 9/11. Already some analysts are predicting that the Fed will cut rates again at its scheduled meeting on 29 - 30 January and that the rate will be down to 3 percent by the end of March.

I hate to see this happening. On the other hand, it makes my work interesting.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, this is completely unrelated to the primaries.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.