FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Lost Season 4 thread - Spoilers Welcome (Page 12)

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12   
Author Topic: Lost Season 4 thread - Spoilers Welcome
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
After reviewing this thread, I now believe that Locke really did commit suicide, . His faith in the island was that strong. The only question now is why. But I think he died intentionally, believing the island could bring him back.
Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Reader:
I think this is the first time that a current timelime has gone directly to a flashforward. Ben turned the Island's steering wheel, and was then sent to Tunisia.

He fell right through the planet.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Reader
Member # 3636

- posted      Profile for The Reader   Email The Reader         Edit/Delete Post 
I am beginning to think that the Island traveled through time, to the future. The whole point of the Orchid was time travel experimentation. This doesn't mean the Island didn't travel through space, as Ben did.

Space and time travel explain a lot of mysteries. If the Island can travel to the past (by turning the frozen donkey wheel counterclockwise) then it can aquire ruins and a colossal foot that don't look as old as they ought to be.

If it can travel far into the future then the Smoke Monster could be very advanced piece of technology built there, and brought back when it traveled to the past.

quote:
After reviewing this thread, I now believe that Locke really did commit suicide, . His faith in the island was that strong. The only question now is why. But I think he died intentionally, believing the island could bring him back.
I think he was probably in despair. He couldn't convince anyone to come back, and so the Island is doomed as far as he is concerned. If the Island is his life, and he can't save it, then he probably thinks that he has no choice. A major question is: does the Island treat suicides differently from other deaths?

Was it even a suicide? Maybe Widmore discovered Locke had survived the crash and left the Island. Locke's death would be a warning to the Oceanic Six, and Sayid is trying to protect them now. If this is the case, then the man waiting outside Santa Rosa was probably working for Widmore.

Posts: 684 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I did a Google search of "Lapidus." The name is derived from Latin, "lapidas," meaning stone.

There was a Morris Lapidus who invented a weird hotel.

But the name is often interchanged with "Lepidus," which was a fairly common Roman name. However, one of the Lepidi ended up as part of the triumvirate with Octavian and Mark Anthony.

There are all kinds of Lepidi in that time period, but there was othing particularly significant, unless we know of Frank Lapidus's wife or children.

One of the things I have noticed about Frank Lapidus is his way of staying somehwat neutral, to save his skin, so perhaps he is waiting to see where the balance of power shifts.

Also, he has the most beautiful eyes!

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
Is anyone else surprised the Island let him die? Even committing suicide is a bit of a job if the Island doesn't want you to. That Locke could die at all is fodder enough for another season.
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Elizabeth:
I did a Google search of "Lapidus." The name is derived from Latin, "lapidas," meaning stone.

Not necessarily. There is a Jewish family name Lapidus which is derived from "lapidot" or "lapidos". Deborah the Judge was called "the wife of Lapidot", and some Jewish sources identify Lapidot with Barak. A lapid in Hebrew is a torch. Lapidos are torches.

Morris Lapidus, who you mentioned, was Jewish, and it's very unlikely that his name was derived from the Latin as you're suggesting.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Reader
Member # 3636

- posted      Profile for The Reader   Email The Reader         Edit/Delete Post 
On aside, with all of the literary references, I keep expecting a character named something like "Andy Wiggins" to pop up.
Posts: 684 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

I hadn't thought of that, Irami, but that's a good point.

In fact, it makes me wonder why it doesn't just let other people die. If the island can bring people back and control them (a la Christian Shephard or Eko's brother), couldn't it have done it with Michael?

Do you have to die with a certain attitude for the island to be able to use you?

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Reader
Member # 3636

The Medusa Spider might come back. Maybe Locke is just paralyzed.
Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't remind me of the Nikki/Paulo episode.

That one never existed.

Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Reader
Member # 3636

I'd like to think that "Expose" never existed, but it did introduce the Medusa Spider. This is Lost and I can't help but think that that introduction wasn't incidental.
docmagik
Member # 1131

Wow. The Medusa spider is a great theory, and probably right.

I had come to post these three alternate ideas I'd come up with, but I think I like the Medusa spider better.

Here were the ideas anyway:

1. Locke killed himself because he believed the island could bring him back.

2. Locke killed hismelf because he was testing whether the island would save him, and it didn't. This may have been because the island knew it could bring him back, or because he betrayed the island.

3. Locke allowed someone to kill him, Obi-wan style. "Strike me down, and I will become more powerful than you can possibly imagine."

Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
The Medusa Spider only incapacitates for a short period of time. Locke was "dead" for longer than the time it would have taken him to wake up I think.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

The Medusa spider only paralyzes them for 1 hour. Remember at the end of the episode when Nikki's eyes opened right as they covered her face with the dirt?
Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

quote:
Originally posted by Shawshank:
The Medusa spider only paralyzes them for 1 hour. Remember at the end of the episode when Nikki's eyes opened right as they covered her face with the dirt?

Listen, Shawshank, I was all "Yeah, I'm with Shawhank, let's not ever remind ourselves of the Nikki/Paulo incident," and then you yourself reminded me of it!

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh.

I have had buried-alive nightmares since childhood.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel so neglected. [Razz]
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EmpSquared
Member # 10890

- posted      Profile for EmpSquared           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Shawshank:

Not only that, but if he's lying in a coffin in a funeral parlor, doesn't that mean the corpse has been processed in some way, shape or form? Meaning that an autopsy or an embalming process would have revealed paralysis as opposed to death?
Posts: 368 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeorge
Member # 11524

- posted      Profile for Jeorge           Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't the producers state somewhere that the medusa spiders were an "incarnation" of the smoke monster?

I gotta say, I really liked Expose - the last five seconds made the episode very memorable.

Posts: 324 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

Sorry Elizabeth. It's my way of refuting that episode's impact on the rest of the show.
The Reader
Member # 3636

quote:
Originally posted by Strider:
The Medusa Spider only incapacitates for a short period of time. Locke was "dead" for longer than the time it would have taken him to wake up I think.

Uh, yeah. I forgot about that. [Embarrassed]

I initially made the comment as a joke, and then took myself seriously.

It wasn't a very good joke. [Razz]

Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
Do we know if Locke died on the island or off? We know he visited the O6 (missed that the first time I watched) but we don't know if he remained on the mainland or went back to the island prior to his death. If he did die on the island then how did his body get back to LA?
Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe Locke's not actually dead, and Jeremy Benthem is actually an incarnation of the island.
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeorge
Member # 11524

- posted      Profile for Jeorge           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, this is the thread that moved me from lurker to poster, so I thought I'd just bring it to the top once more to say "farewell" to the thread.

Alas! No more Lost until next season. :-/

Posts: 324 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Reader
Member # 3636

Before this thread dies, I have some observations that I want to get out here.

Farday needed Desmond to be his constant. Desmond is gone, presumably for at oleast three years. Faraday will die very soon if Desmond doesn't return, and Faraday knows some things about the properties of the Island that few others know. I think that is more important than what has been indicated.

Because Lapidus is the only person on the Kahana to return to the world, there will be a lot of questions about him from inquiring people, like Charles Widmore and Matthew Abaddon. He is in mortal danger because he knows about Oceanic 815, and he isn't a celebrity. I think he'll have to return to the Island not only for his own safety, but also because he has been exposed to the Island's secrets. Desmond in the same situation, and may even be worse off because he carries properties from the Island. Also I don't think he has fulfilled the destiny that Mrs. Hawking predicted.

If Penny didn't know about the Island before, she does now, and she has to be part of the conspiracy. She has to use her significant resources to keep the Island a secret, and to protect the O6, Desmond, and Frank. On the other hand, she might also be working with her father to lead them into a trap. If this is true, then Ben becomes the good guy because he is protecting the O6, Frank, and Desmond. I love that irony.

The Survivors left on the Island have no option but to try to ally with the Natives. The success or failure of this option is probably one the "terrible things" that Locke warned about. There would probably be dissention among the ranks of both parties about this.

The Survivors would be split among the people who want to leave and those who want to join the Natives. Those who want to leave would risk exposing the Island.

The Natives would be split among those who believe that the Survivors should be accepted and those who think that they should be kicked off the Island. That option also leaves the Island vulnerable.

When Ben unleashed the Smoke Monster, he may have changed its nature. It's possible that it is now unstoppable and this would be another one the things that Locke told the O6. It might even be impersonating the mercenaries.

Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
The way the other members of the Oceanic 6 talk about Bentham, it sounds as though his "suicide" was a cover for his being murdered. I suspect Whitmore's hand; either "going after" those he sees as Ben Linus' agents, or trying to kill the person he sees as key to Ben, not him, being in control of The Island.

For anyone who's still observing the thread, I'm curious as to opinions: is Hurley really crazy? Or has he just become a conduit for forces beyond his control? (Not that both isn't a possibility...)

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Reader
Member # 3636

Hurley has been able to communicate easily with his imaginary people, like Dave, Charlie, and Eko. For everyone else who has seen people, it has been like contacting a ghost. The contact is ephemeral and fleeting. What he perceives as a curse and mental illness is actually his ability, or abilities, that he doesn't know how to control.

Or maybe he has a mental illness that makes him a savant in the ability to use the island.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

This seems too obvious, but maybe he's the only sane one, the only one who sees what's real.
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Dude. Hurley's always been the sanest one on the Island. And off.

Seriously, Everybody Loves Hugo, right?

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

To the point that it really irked me when Jack called him Hurley. I mean, even Sawyer calls him Hugo now.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Do any of the losties except Sawyer and Locke call him Hugo?

What did Sun call him when he comes to see her and the baby?

What did Sayid call him when he comes to break him out of the psychiatric hospital?

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
I *think* Sun and Sayid called him Hurley. My daughter has worked her way through seasons one and two and we are in the middle of three. When she finishes we'll watch all the season 4 episodes I have on the DVR - which should be the whole thing. Its really really interesting watching season three having the answers season 4 gives us. Desmond's whole time travel episode - man.
Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.