FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » China to be new driver of the world economy

Author Topic: China to be new driver of the world economy
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Defence Talk Daily

quote:

Athens GA: A new study of worldwide technological competitiveness suggests China may soon rival the United States as the principal driver of the world's economy - a position the U.S. has held since the end of World War II. If that happens, it will mark the first time in nearly a century that two nations have competed for leadership as equals.

The study's indicators predict that China will soon pass the United States in the critical ability to develop basic science and technology, turn those developments into products and services - and then market them to the world. Though China is often seen as just a low-cost producer of manufactured goods, the new "High Tech Indicators" study done by researchers at the Georgia Institute of Technology clearly shows that the Asian powerhouse has much bigger aspirations.

Cheap and high tech. I think they're the only country that can actually break this little engineer gimmick I found:

Out of three things choose only 2:

Cheap
Quality
Reliable.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you seriously suggesting that Chinese products are quality?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

my Ipod is made in China and hasn't broken, my Computer is made in China and while there are constant little things that go wrong I have by and large solved every issue that has come up and not a fault of their manufacturing. My TV's are made in China my cloths, my socks, my fridge, hell if it wasnt for that the fact that the trees we have came from Russia I would have geussed my house was made in China.

Also quality is relative, German cars are supposed to be of good quality but the general rule is that once something goes wrong with the engine the rest of the vehical starts to break down.

Personally I equate quality == reliable + looks pretty.

Hell my Acer is made in China and I think its good quality, Ild prefer a Toshiba in hindsight but 3 geusses where theyre Manufactured *nods* China.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Also afaik the major export industries in China are modern facilities, more worker intensive then others but noentheless modern, not children welding together a stove with a 1950's torch.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Like, say, plastic toys? [Wink]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
In other news, Blayne likes China.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Blayne B: Most fanboys latch onto a gaming console, one side in a Star Wars vs. Star Trek debate, a TV show, or a sports team. I'm saying this in a very detached way, somehow for better or for worse you've managed to latch onto China as almost a substitute for latching onto oh, I dunno, a faction in World of Warcraft.

How did this ever happen, if you don't mind my asking?

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 5108

- posted      Profile for Avatar300   Email Avatar300         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
my Ipod is made in China and hasn't broken, my Computer is made in China and while there are constant little things that go wrong I have by and large solved every issue that has come up and not a fault of their manufacturing. My TV's are made in China my cloths, my socks, my fridge, hell if it wasnt for that the fact that the trees we have came from Russia I would have geussed my house was made in China.
Were all these things designed in China?
Posts: 413 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

In other news say something productive. I have posted a very interesting piece of news, and all you can do is dismiss it out of hand and say something patronizing. All hail Lisa the Arbitrator of a threads perceived importance!

I don't know what toys you play with, but my legos never broke on me except that one time when i strapped them to my homemade gunpowder and tried to make a lego rocket, damn those chinese children and their poor workmanship! Those legos obviously should have survived 5 pounds of gunpowder going off in proximity [Roll Eyes] [Razz]

My Gundamwing model sets never broke either, well some did but I was rather rough with them as I think in hindsight I should have realized that a model is not a toy!

As a kid who grew up on mostly books and various Nintendo/Playstation systems I do/did not have many toys beyond my model making hobbies.

Hmm, I still have a Mitsubishi Zero model still in its original packaging....

[ January 25, 2008, 04:46 PM: Message edited by: Blayne Bradley ]

Fusiachi
Member # 7376

- posted      Profile for Fusiachi   Email Fusiachi         Edit/Delete Post 
China manufactured your iPod. California designed and marketed it. Take a guess which function adds more value. Take a guess as to which jobs that average person would rather have.

That said, it's a big country with a lot of people. A billion Chinese people ought to have a powerhouse economy. I wonder what's been holding it back?

Posts: 433 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

Inertia
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I highly recommend you change the title and salute you gave Lisa, Blayne. It is beyond bad taste, and modifying it yourself before it gets nuked would show that you posses the ability to rethink rudeness.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

4 years of cultural upheavel, ontop of 2 years of eshausting intervention in Korea ontop of 8 years of Japanese invasion and fighting for national existence, ontop of over 120 years of humiliation and unequal treaties by nearly every single of todays "Great Powers", before that their civilization was possibly the strongest of the world's powers under the Ming before European exploitation of millions of people, discovery of massive gold deposits in South America, colonization and exploitation of the new world and before the Confucian bureacracy which once encoraged growth and trade turned their backs on it and allowed the empire to stagnate.

When Tom speaks of chinese products and inquires to their quality, which ones does he speak of? As far as I know it is only the good designed elsewhere that people complain as being of "shoddy quality", domestically designed goods that I know of in China such as their new monorail. What products do you accuse as being faulty? Aside from exceptions to the rule such as bad tooth paste, I do not think that counts as a high quality good no matter where its built unless it also happens to wash my car.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

And her and others equating me to being a brainwashed troll on the Chinese Communist Party's payroll somehow is excused (not in this thread or even this forum but elsewhere)? Fine I will edit it, I am making my feelings on the matter known.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And her and others equating me to being a brainwashed troll on the Chinese Communist Party's payroll somehow is excused (not in this thread or even this forum but elsewhere)?
I didn't see anyone do that here.

Edit: Thank you for changing that.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

As for why I suffer from a case of Sinophilia is a number of issues:

a) It is to my opinion unjustly attacked, and many times this is due to a cultural divide, thus any and all misunderstandings must be corrected. Its like when my college allowed a NeoNazi speak his beliefs in public infront of an entire class, it doesnt matter if theyre sure that no one will believe but what if out of 40 people he convinces one of his garbage?

b) Chinese culture and history is one of the most fascinating things/concepts I have ever read, I own my own copy of Sun Tzu's Art of War and loved Romance of the Three Kingdoms.

c) Chinese recent history and its experience as being the underdog allows me to sympathize. They're economic growth aspires to the scholarly part of me, their military history and recent achievements and reforms inspires the military enthsiest of me, and finally their way of governing themselves is encredibly interesting, combining the best sides of both worlds.

Essentially how China determines its destiny is possibly one of the most important events/transitions of the 21st century.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:
quote:
And her and others equating me to being a brainwashed troll on the Chinese Communist Party's payroll somehow is excused (not in this thread or even this forum but elsewhere)?

I believe my question mark was misplaced, I am emphasising that the actions I have spoken of have happened elsewhere where I do not believe you would have seen them nor remember them if you did it was quite some time ago.
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
Blayne: Chinese safety recalls in 2007.

Edit to add:

quote:
When Tom speaks of chinese products and inquires to their quality, which ones does he speak of? As far as I know it is only the good designed elsewhere that people complain as being of "shoddy quality", domestically designed goods that I know of in China such as their new monorail. What products do you accuse as being faulty? Aside from exceptions to the rule such as bad tooth paste, I do not think that counts as a high quality good no matter where its built unless it also happens to wash my car.
Nearly all (with the exception of an EZ-Bake oven) of these recalls happened because of manufacturing, not design, problems caused by using cheap, unsafe substitutes.
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fusiachi
Member # 7376

- posted      Profile for Fusiachi   Email Fusiachi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
4 years of cultural upheavel, ontop of 2 years of eshausting intervention in Korea ontop of 8 years of Japanese invasion and fighting for national existence, ontop of over 120 years of humiliation and unequal treaties by nearly every single of todays "Great Powers", before that their civilization was possibly the strongest of the world's powers under the Ming before European exploitation of millions of people, discovery of massive gold deposits in South America, colonization and exploitation of the new world and before the Confucian bureacracy which once encoraged growth and trade turned their backs on it and allowed the empire to stagnate.

When concocting this explanation, is there anything we've neglected to mention? Now, a bureacracy that turns its back on trade and growth, thus allowing an empire (and weren't we just launching a critique on imperialists?) to 'stagnate'... I think you're on the right track.
Posts: 433 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Stagnation is one thing, as there is every single possibility to turn things around when needed, but what i typed is still overwhelmingly valid, what kept China from catching up to the industrialized world in the 20th centry was disunity due to civil war and foreign invasion, before that foreign invasions and unequal treaties further imposed restrictions did nothing to help matters and when will they ever do so? It forced the ruling elite to be even more conservative and largely resistent to reform and modernization efforts, of and then there's the several years of civil war during the Taiching uprisings where over 50 million people died in the famines and chaos that followed.

The Confucian bureaucracy turning its back on reform happened only during the Ming dynasty while the foreign invasions seemed to have happened during the Manchu's I wonder what that signifies.

Mucus
Member # 9735

quote:
Originally posted by Mr.Funny:
Nearly all (with the exception of an EZ-Bake oven) of these recalls happened because of manufacturing, not design, problems caused by using cheap, unsafe substitutes.

This is in your link too:
quote:
On September 21, Mattel issued an apology to China over the recall of Chinese-made toys, taking the blame for design flaws and acknowledging that "vast majority of those products that were recalled were the result of a design flaw in Mattel's design, not through a manufacturing flaw in China's manufacturers."
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
... domestically designed goods that I know of in China such as their new monorail.

Although very cool and unique, if you're referring to the monorail in Shanghai, that was actually designed by Germans.
info link
info link2

Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:
quote:

Now I'm curious.

Anyway, is there anyone here who didn't look at the subject line and know, without having to look, that it was a Blayne thread? That's all I'm saying.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

Actually, the subject line is copied from the article that he linked to.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't this what the Prime Directive was invented for?
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hume
Member # 11457

- posted      Profile for Hume           Edit/Delete Post 
Just looking at the basic premise of the idea of a single economy driving the world economy, I have to wonder how plausible that is.

China has been a powerful force in the economy for decades, if only for the fact that they have been one of the largest trade partners in terms of manufactured goods to the Western World. But many other Asian countries have done the same (Korea and India to name two).

However, the economy has become so complex and individual economies so specialized that no country can actually drive the world economy. While the United States and a couple other dozen or so "developed" (I don't really like the term, but that's the term that is most oftenly used) are designing the new goods and services, it is countries like China, India, and many other countries that actually produce those goods.

I guess I think of the economy like a big canoe or raft. You have some people moving the boat, and you have some people steering the boat. The analogy is over-simpified, but appear to have some empirical basis.

I suppose that is kind of tangental to the point. But people have known for years that it is inevitable that economies of countries like China and India would soon bypass all of those of the Western countries, although sometimes at great expences to human rights. The discussion that it might or might not be happening right now, seems to be one of almost purely academic interest, because, even if the switch does come tomorrow, there won't be any effect on the relationships that exist between all of the different economies.

Posts: 34 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
I suspect the study is so much pap. China is only just starting to move out of low value-added manufacturing. India has a far more developed high tech sector, as do numerous smaller countries (including in the area). China is nowhere near about to drive the world in innovation (unless by near we mean maybe in fifty to a hundred years).

Not that there won't be specific Chinese innovations that will be important in the near future.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adfectio
Member # 11070

- posted      Profile for adfectio   Email adfectio         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
Now I'm curious.

Anyway, is there anyone here who didn't look at the subject line and know, without having to look, that it was a Blayne thread? That's all I'm saying.

Actually, I saw the title, and opened it up. Then imagine my surprised when it was a thread from Blayne not begging us do to a quick google search for him. Then I realized what he was trying to say and about peed myself laughing.
Posts: 349 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What products do you accuse as being faulty?
The faulty ones.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.