FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Resume writing - first person allowed?

Author Topic: Resume writing - first person allowed?
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh how I hate resume writing, but it's time for me to redo mine, which I haven't done in years.

Is it still anathema to use the first person in your resume? Must I continue to write subjectless sentences to summarize my accomplishments?

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I've always thought the subjectless approach was mainly for brevity and skimmability. Consider your name at the top of the resume as the stand-in subject for every sentence on the page. I'm no resume expert, though.

ADDED: The subjectless sentence is also a mainstay of bulleted lists. Adding the subject to each item would de-emphasize the action verb leading the sentence, and that verb is the most important part of the sentence.

Even outside of a list, you want to emphasize the verbs, not the "I" you'd have to tack on to the front.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
AFR has it. Forget the pronouns. Just use bullets. The poor guy in HR has to read about a hundred at a time. He wants to see bullets.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Bullets, action words, and specific skills. Remember you're dealing with an HR person, and not an english professor. Imagine you're a menu at a restaurant.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I definitely recommend lists of specific skills, and also responsibilities. Job titles are almost meaningless because they can be different things at different companies. List the responsibilities you've had and/or accomplishments you've made at the positions. Especially if it involved supervising others or working independently, HR folks love to see you have leadership experience and that you don't need much hand-holding.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

*Read comments and appreciates them
*Will stick to bulleted lists
*Will emphasize action verbs and specific skills

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Uprooted:
*Read comments and appreciates them
*Will stick to bulleted lists
*Will emphasize action verbs and specific skills

No, no, no; verb tenses MUST be parallel and bullets must be brief but buzz-word prone

* Internalizes comments extremely well
* Organizes resume following efficiency guidelines
* Actualizes feedback synergistically

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

Well done, Senoj. ;-)

*Consistently refuses to speak "buzz"
*Applies parallel tenses in formal writing

Seriously, I'll fall upon my sword before actualizing anything synergistically. Ever.

Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, this from the old HR guy. Forget the buzz words. For standard work experience, list job titles. If your job is very unique, then briefly list duties. SR, you sound like you have been teaching the resume writing class that they offer seperating military officers. I throw them away, unless there is a duty assignment that I am interested in. If I were to total all of the "Saved $X in implementation of new system" lines I have seen in military resumes, it could account for two or three years of the entire military appropriations.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

I assumed he was being a little tongue in cheek about the buzz words.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.