FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » 150 Billion Dollars

Author Topic: 150 Billion Dollars
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
On what public works project would you invest 150 billion dollars?
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Infrastructure. Roads, Bridges, Rails.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
Helping out the White man in exclusion to all other races.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep.

And schools. Preschools, better elementary and secondary schools, trade schools, universities, universities abroad, and scholarships and grants for all of them.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Me
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
C3PO the Dragon Slayer
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for C3PO the Dragon Slayer           Edit/Delete Post 
Star Wars game for Wii.
Posts: 1029 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Public transportation, mag-lev trains throughout the US, road upgrades.

Microgeneration loans at low or no interest for urban and rural areas.

Both things I think would likely pay for themselves over time.

I wouldn't mind spending some of that money to build more national parks, or to further open up existing ones by building more trails and campgrounds/lodging.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Banning all government programs and/or activities that aren't limited to police, army and courts. A one time expenditure of $150 B to never have another insane expenditure? Sounds cheap at the price.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Space exploration and colonization.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Clean water, now and in the future, accessible everywhere. (Currently I'm most worried about the future supplies in various circumstances.)

Upgraded ( [Smile] ) national public transportation train system, locally and between distant sites -- no more pullovers every few hours to let freight fly by, no more unpredictable schedules.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
Intensive school programs in the inner city. By intensive, we include food stamp programs, study-for-money programs, family counselling--basically, we try to eliminate almost all the barriers to success inner-city school kids contend with.
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
You mean the right answer isn't a stupid invasion?

[ February 01, 2008, 06:31 PM: Message edited by: kmbboots ]

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
At first, I thought about bullet trains, but now I'm thinking of gambling it all on hydrogen fuel-cell technology. I'd like to work out a deal with Detroit's big three and a few Universities and have them race to deliver the car and engine.

kmboots, 150 billion is the magic number because that's approximately the amount that the President's tax cuts are going to diffuse generally back into taxpayer pockets.

I just can't help but think it would be better to invest in one or two large-scale projects, the likes of which Lisa abhors, for the good of the world.

quote:
Intensive school programs in the inner city. By intensive, we include food stamp programs, study-for-money programs, family counseling--basically, we try to eliminate almost all the barriers to success inner-city school kids contend with.
As nice as it would be to get class-sizes down, I think the bigger problem with schools is our national concept of success in education. For example, I find many people considered "successful" by the traditional American definition to be obnoxious. If the goal is to have our kids fit snugly into this class of obnoxious "success," then I'll have to pass. Education, much like criminal justice, suffers primarily from a lack of vision, then from a lack of funds.

[ February 01, 2008, 07:27 PM: Message edited by: Irami Osei-Frimpong ]

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
C3PO the Dragon Slayer
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for C3PO the Dragon Slayer           Edit/Delete Post 
So Bush will help make a Star Wars game for Wii?? *envisions approval rates soaring*
Posts: 1029 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
If we used it to hire people to build/repair infrastructure and public transportation, we would be putting money into the economy, too.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Selfishly, I would choose "Infrastructure - telecommunications".

Unselfishly, I would say fixing healthcare, food safety, and water supply problems.

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Schools and mass transit.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
Either coke and whores, or cigarettes and Russian brides.

It's a tough choice.

Actually...education.

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Irami Osei-Frimpong:
At first, I thought about bullet trains, but now I'm thinking of gambling it all on hydrogen fuel-cell technology. I'd like to work out a deal with Detroit's big three and a few Universities and have them race to deliver the car and engine.

No offense but, kind of a waste of money. A lot of the major autocompanies have already spent billions on hydrogen cars. They don't need any government money spent on the engine and the car. The money needs to be spent figuring out how to actually produce the hydrogen, and then how to get it to delivery stations. The cars are nearly ready, they will be in the next half decade, and if they knew they'd be viable, I suspect the car companies would push them out. But without and fuel or infrastructure for them, there ain't much point in building them.

They should put some more money to beef up the Automotive X Prize. It might be a moot point with PHEVs being released in the next few years, but then I'd consider putting the money into tax credits or rebates for PHEVs to help bring the price down.

Other than that, put a large chunk of the money into renewable energy plants to create the power necessary to run the cars.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

- posted      Profile for cheiros do ender   Email cheiros do ender         Edit/Delete Post 
Or maybe the reason those stations and that technology don't exist yet is because for most of this decade the companies and individuals that could have done it have, instead of raising the capital themselves, waited for a big fat cheque (or rebates, tax exemptions, etc) from the federal government to pay for it all. No risk that way.

In fact, that's probably true of most industries. If you think of all the time and money spent on lobbying, it must be saving those groups so much more in the long term.

Posts: 1138 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
1) Three months of all expense paid extreme-vacation for our armed forces in Iraq.

2) Making "Ender's Game" the movie.

3) Paying off our contractual debt to Haliburton, well a good payment to it anyway.

PS. Why it is not being used for some Senator's pet project is because this is designed as a recession curative. That means the money needs to be spent before the recession gets too deep. Any major project or group of projects the Government could spend the money on would take years for that money to actually be spent.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

quote:
The money needs to be spent figuring out how to actually produce the hydrogen, and then how to get it to delivery stations.
Then there you go, a hydrogen infrastructure.
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
then how to get it (hydrongen)to delivery stations.
By Dirigible of course.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dan_raven:
quote:
then how to get it (hydrongen)to delivery stations.
By Dirigible of course.
You feed the rats to the cats and the cats to the rats, and get the cat skins for nothing!
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.