FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » My Strange Nation

Author Topic: My Strange Nation
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Heard this awesome song on Detroit's NPR station today:

My Strange Nation by Susan Werner.

Here's a video of it.

It's been called an "alternative national anthem". I dig it. More moving for me because one of my best friends is planning on moving to Canada sometime in the next couple years with her wife because of the US anti-gay policies. Personally I think she should stick around and help me/us win the fight.

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Does not do a whole lot for me. I don't think our national anthem should be a treatise on what's wrong with us, and how we are not sure why we all stick around, but we do.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Well... of course. But it's not really an anthem anyway, it's just been called that.
But it's pointless to hide from the issues of your nation... but also moving that you are still loyal for the good that is there too.

It's a bit of a breath of fresh air for me...some of the circles of friends I hang out with are all into USA, or at least Administration, bashing and rant, rave, write bad poetry and refuse to see the good that's around. This song does a little flip at the end...you think you're listening to one of those bash America songs but it turns into a love song and a song of hope.

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's wonderful that people here have the freedom to "rant, rave, write bad poetry, and refuse to see the good" to their hearts' content. [Smile]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
(I'm recalling as I write this a visit from a friend who is from Singapore. Every time he criticized his government or their policies, he would speak in hushed tones and look nervously over his shoulder and around the room-- even though he was far away from where anyone would hear him and report him. It was just habit to be nervous when criticizing his government and their policies.)
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

Hear hear!
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
I think this could make a good ska song.
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Telperion the Silver:
Well... of course. But it's not really an anthem anyway, it's just been called that.
But it's pointless to hide from the issues of your nation... but also moving that you are still loyal for the good that is there too.

It's a bit of a breath of fresh air for me...some of the circles of friends I hang out with are all into USA, or at least Administration, bashing and rant, rave, write bad poetry and refuse to see the good that's around. This song does a little flip at the end...you think you're listening to one of those bash America songs but it turns into a love song and a song of hope.

See I grew up around friends and often teachers who had nothing but criticisms for the topic of Americana. I too think it's great we can complain and criticize as well as fix our problems. I just tire when somebody comes up with an artistic way to lambast the country and people all think it's amazing and insightful to talk about native american mistreatment, slavery, white male domination of politics, and now anti homosexual sentiment.

But I love The Colbert Report. I am also a long time reader of Mad Magazine, at least until they sold out.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Juxtapose:
I think this could make a good ska song.

Is there such a thing?

[Wink]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Heck, yeah.
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

KQ, you may have just earned my undying love.

----

On the topic of the original post,
quote:
I just tire when somebody comes up with an artistic way to lambast the country and people all think it's amazing and insightful to talk about native american mistreatment, slavery, white male domination of politics, and now anti homosexual sentiment.
Personally, the idea that I could love my country AND accept all the bad things in its history was actually something amazing and insightful. Learning about all the atrocities in US history made me feel betrayed. This was supposed to be the land of the free and the home of the brave and all that. We were supposed to be the good guys. Good guys don't do those kinds of things.

Getting to the point of view expressed in this song, where I can love my country in spite of what its done took me years. Maybe that's immature, but then again, maybe if someone had been able to express it this simply it wouldn't have taken so long.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Personally, the idea that I could love my country AND accept all the bad things in its history was actually something amazing and insightful. Learning about all the atrocities in US history made me feel betrayed. This was supposed to be the land of the free and the home of the brave and all that. We were supposed to be the good guys. Good guys don't do those kinds of things.
I think that maybe he's talking more about the fact that the idea expressed in your quote is actually neither new or even particularly clever. The message is important, but delivering it in this fashion is hardly extremely artistic, in and of itself.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
mmmm it struck me as a political cartoon in song format.

Basically it was just her political opinion set to music. It was pretty. She's talented. I can see how if you agree with what she's saying you'd love the song.

But of course, I don't agree with most of what she says. I love my country. It could improve, of course, (Gay rights, cut taxes/social spending) But I'm not going to make a song about how horrible the country is.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

I guess what I was trying to say is that I don't think the song is about lambasting America, or detailing how horrible it is. It may not be new, or clever, but it's not a perspective I hear expressed very often either. I think it's worthwhile to admit that we've screwed up before, we'll screw up again, and then acknowledge that that doesn't make us bad people or a bad country.

On the other hand, nor do I think of it as an "alternative national anthem." This song will probably be dating itself in my lifetime.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Don't tell KPC, okay? [Razz]
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Dating itself?!

If that's your thing, I guess.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
quote:
Don't tell KPC, okay? [Razz]
Uh oh. He's not the duelin' sort, is he?
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Mmm, no. He'd just resent you to death. [Wink]
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
I like that it ends with a few bars of 'God Save the Queen', the British national anthem. Ah, you zany colonials...

[Wink]

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
"God Save the Queen" is also "My Country Tis of Thee,"one of our patriotic songs. Yes, we did steal the tune from the British, but the song is also our own.
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

It's also used for anthems of a few other countries, IIRC...
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
I know, but it spoils the joke if I admit it...
Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.