FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Best films of 2007

Author Topic: Best films of 2007
GForce
Member # 9584

- posted      Profile for GForce   Email GForce         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think there has been a topic on this yet. So far I have seen 43 movies released in 2007. I haven't seen all that I want to, and I've only seen 1 of the 5 films nominated for a Best Picture Oscar, so this list may change, but here are my top 10 of 2007.

10. Grindhouse

Death Proof was good enough on its own to merit seeing this, but Planet Terror is a romping good time too.

9. Waitress

Sort of an anti-"Knocked Up". Instead of being about two strangers who are having a baby growing closer together, it's about a married couple having a baby growing farther apart. The performances are great all-around, and I love Andy Grifith's character. I think that "Knocked Up" was the superior comedy, but I believe "Waitress" to be the better movie.

8. The Darjeeling Limited

Wes Anderson has some serious clout. "Hey Natalie, you wanna be in my movie for like, 5 seconds?" "Sure Wes, anything for you."

7. Sicko

I laughed during about half of this movie. It's funny. The other half I was absolutely, primally, ferally enraged. Furious. Sometimes I was furious and laughing at the same time. Moore has a talent for getting the shots that he needs to make the most affecting, and most entertaining documentary he possibly can. Excellent.

6. Black Snake Moan

Christina Ricci, who will never be on anybody's list of Oscar hopefuls, has found something that she is really, really good at. With her role as Rae, she definitively proves, once and for all, that she can play white trash better than anybody out there. Samuel L. Jackson adds to his list of great performances. And Justin Timberlake is. . . sorta good. While keeping a hyper-sexed crack-whore chained up in your house would certainly be a felony, I don't think that anybody who sees this film could argue that it isn't the right thing to do.

5. Zodiac

This movie takes place over 22 years. That's an incredible time span for a feature film. Jake Gyllenhall is remarkable as the socially akward Robert Graysmith, a cartoonist at the San Francisco Chronicle. Robert Downey Jr. is incredible as the drunk crime reporter Paul Avery (not such a stretch for Downey Jr.). Mark Ruffalo is good too, and Chloe Sevigny is charming.

4. A Mighty Heart

The writing, directing, and editing in this film are all used to make it as confusing as possible. Not to alienate the viewer, but to provide as realistic an experience as can be had in a theater.

3. The Lives of Others

East Berlin, 1984: the year I was born. Not so very long ago. The populace is kept in check by the Stasi, the State Security. One man comes to a slow realization that he is part of the problem in a system that rewards paranoia and loyalty to the state above all other qualities. Sound familiar? It should.

2. Once

A love story about a 30 something Dubliner and a 20 something Czech. Is it about them falling for each other? Well, kind of. More a love story between them and their music. Marketa Irglova has my vote for most infectious smile.

1. No Country for Old Men

The country of the title is beautiful, vast, expansive, and brutal. There is no extraneous dialogue in this film. Another Coen brothers masterpiece, this film, like one of the main characters, has no sense of humor. Dead serious all the way through.

Posts: 127 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, there has been.
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
Puffy, this thread isn't necessarily redundant. I don't see why there can't be several threads dedicated to this topic seeing as how we have so many posters and so many movies.
Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by the_Somalian:
Puffy, this thread isn't necessarily redundant.

Where did I say it was redundant? [Confused] He said "I don't think there has been a topic on this yet", I posted a link to a thread on the topic. [Smile]

Posting a link=Saying the new thread shouldn't exist?

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
Of the ones I've seen from the OP's list:

Grindhouse--I think Tarantino needs to stop with this whole "I'm merely playing around" routine. Death Proof is not a serious film, the same way "Kill Bill" wasn't a serious film. It's all jokey and full of references to this or that. Say what you will of "Reservoir Dogs", "Pulp Fiction" or "Jackie Brown"--there were all serious, earnest films, and it's as if Tarantino is afraid to be that ambitious again.

Zodiac--Wonderful film. Creepy and enthralling.

No Country for Old Men--I wish I liked it, so I could be in the club of having liked it. But I thought it was awful and pointless.

Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

quote:
Originally posted by Puffy Treat:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by the_Somalian:
[qb] Puffy, this thread isn't necessarily redundant.

Posting a link=Saying the new thread shouldn't exist?

It kind of gives off that vibe, yes. Like, it's already been done, dude. What the hell are you doing.
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by the_Somalian:
It kind of gives off that vibe, yes. Like, it's already been done, dude. What the hell are you doing.

I posted a link to the other thread because he thought there had not been one, mainly so he could see what other posters had picked. [Smile]

I did not do it for the reasons you ascribe.

GForce
Member # 9584

- posted      Profile for GForce   Email GForce         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks PT. Seems like most of us are in agreement about several of our picks.
Posts: 127 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.