FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Heath Ledger Died Of Accidental Overdose: Medical Examiner's Report

Author Topic: Heath Ledger Died Of Accidental Overdose: Medical Examiner's Report
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
The full article...
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Just read this. Sounds like he had alot of factors all working together against him. I wonder if he had properly advised all the doctors he saw before getting all subsequent prescriptions.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Speaking from personal experience, it's all too easy to lose track of medications and have something bad happen. [Frown]
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
So sad, but it'll probably be somewhat comforting to his family to know that it was basically an unfortunate accident.
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Puffy Treat:
Speaking from personal experience, it's all too easy to lose track of medications and have something bad happen. [Frown]

Yeah. And if you have bad insomnia, it's really frustrating when your medication stops working. You get extremely tempted to try just about anything to get to sleep.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
God, that's sad. I'm sure he's great as the Joker, but wow, that was so not worth it.
Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
Good news that it was accidental. Umm, why would Mary-Kate be the first person they called?
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
The masseuse used Heath's phone, and her name was probably the first one he recognized on it. The two stars were acquainted and had probably spoken recently - they both lived in NYC, although Miss Olsen was in California on the day Heath was found.

The masseuse probably should have called 911 first, but it seems like he was rattled. It didn't make a difference either way.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
...combined effects of oxycodone, hydrocodone, diazepam, temazepam, alprazolam and doxylamine.
Forgive me, but is it "accidental" to have SIX in one's system?

I personally have never been on any medication of this nature, but I have been wondering how easy is it to accidentally die from this. I figure it's not like you're supposed to take two, accidentally take three and you're dead. I figure you have to take a truckload of them, in which case it's hardly "accidental", no?

I'm not trying to shed bad light on this tragic event; it's just an attempt at personal understanding.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
That's so sad... it was sad when I thought it was intentional, but as an accident...

[Frown]

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
The article made it sound like he did not have more than the prescribed dose of any of them, it was the combination that was toxic. And they weren't all prescribed for the same symptoms -- painkillers, anti-anxiety, and sleep aids.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I figure you have to take a truckload of them, in which case it's hardly "accidental", no?
The comments by family in the article indicate that he took a normal dose of each, but that the combination was lethal.
Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
This really scares me, because I know for a fact I have had those particular 6 drugs in my system all at once, and all except the oxycodone were prescribed or bought over the counter, and I took normal doses of each. I was just trying to get some sleep and stop having panic attacks. No one ever advised me that there could be potential hazards from mixing those drugs. I read all my handouts on prescriptions very carefully, and because I am typically taking a fairly decent amount of medication on a daily basis, I frequently research drug interactions. It worries me a bit that neither my doctor nor my pharmacist gave me any precautions.
Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

It's happened to me. I've been on multiple medications medications where by themselves the doses were okay, but together they had a dangerous cumulative effect.

Accidents of this sort happen with frightening ease.

pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
"Masseuse" denotes a female, btw. We try to get people to use "massage therapist" as much as possible.

Drugs are very seldom tested in combination with one another.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.