FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Mitt Romney's out (Page 11)

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11   
Author Topic: Mitt Romney's out
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
Do lightsabers count as a melee weapon?
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I think AchillesHeel is on to something there.

I'm picking a lightsaber every time.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
Why not? depending on what movie and or video game you rely on when defining a lightsaber, they do just about everything but process whole foods into a healthy breakfast.
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by AchillesHeel:
Do lightsabers count as a melee weapon?

If you are able to give yourself any fictional melee weapon, you can do a lot better than a lightsaber, which is a straightforwardly designed weapon with fairly well-defined abilities and limitations. No, you'd want some dumb legendary weapon from some dumb anime that lacks meaningful restraint.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

It can block laser blasts, cuts through living beings while cauterizing the wound behind it and in some of the LucasArt games it can shoot energy like a laser pistol. All in the size of a cop flashlight. I rest my case.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by AchillesHeel:
Why not? depending on what movie and or video game you rely on when defining a lightsaber, they do just about everything but process whole foods into a healthy breakfast.

If you can't use your lightsaber to make a healthy breakfast, the force is not with you.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

The width of the average orange > the apparent width of a lightsabers 'blade'

But not by much, it can't even help to make fresh orange juice and everyone knows that the most important part of a Jedi's breakfast is fresh o.j.

Although it could be very efficient when making toast. I have no idea why my mind is so happy to be concentrating on the everyday failures of the lightsaber and its uses.

T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
But you wouldn't have the force to help not chop your leg off!

I'd prefer a nice blaster myself.

Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
The phaser is the vilest personal combat-weapon ever. Nah, not the Trekkie explanation but something that is compatible with other Treknology.
ie The phaser is a portable teleporter that doesn't.
On stun, it phases the body into teleport mode, then realigns the distances between atoms in molecules during reintegration just enough so that when those molecules self-assemble back to normal shape, the excess energy causes the victim to lose conciousness.
On kill, it phases the victim into teleport mode, then never reintegrates the ever-scattering components. Leaving no body to feel guilty over...
...and no body for mourners to provide proper service to.

Good enough reason for the Klingons to despise the Federation.
Their disruptors disable or kill painfully: so that the warrior can learn from their injury; or experience their last act in life, their own death.
And leave the body nearly intact; so that the warrior can truly know what it means to kill...
...and mourners can give proper respect to the fallen.

[ April 20, 2012, 12:52 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
*pushes glasses up nose*

Just so that everyone knows, pretty much every part of aspectre's description of phasers is wrong.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Razz]

Not all Trekkies wear glasses.

I wear contacts.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

There's Trekkies, and there's Trekkers. Ask the CIT, RIT, and MIT folks about the difference between Techies and Techers.
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Most rabid Trek fans I know loathe, hate, and detest the term "Trekkers". We are Trekkies, and proud of it.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

"Most rabid Trek fans I know loathe, hate, and detest the term "Trekkers". We are Trekkies, and proud of it."

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/rabid

The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Back around 1980 (before TNG), I was talking to some friends and made a comment about Star Trek. One of the guys who I didn't know very well, said "Oh, do you like Star Trek?" I replied "Yeah, I'm a bonafide Trekkie." He then asked "How come I've never seen you at the meetings?" This was my first encounter with a true Trekkie and the moment that I realized that as much as I enjoyed the show I would never care about it enough to be a "Trekkie".

Thirty years later, I've enjoyed Star Trek in all it's incarnations but I can't tell you the names of more than a handful of episodes. I've never read any of the fanfiction, built a model of the enterprise, learned Klingon, worn a Star Trek costume, or been to a meeting. I see myself being that caught up in any series - - -

except maybe Doctor Who. I could see myself knitting a Tom Baker scarf and displaying a model TARDIS or K9 in my living room.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by aspectre:
The phaser is the vilest personal combat-weapon ever. Nah, not the Trekkie explanation but something that is compatible with other Treknology.
ie The phaser is a portable teleporter that doesn't.
On stun, it phases the body into teleport mode, then realigns the distances between atoms in molecules during reintegration just enough so that when those molecules self-assemble back to normal shape, the excess energy causes the victim to lose conciousness.
On kill, it phases the victim into teleport mode, then never reintegrates the ever-scattering components. Leaving no body to feel guilty over...
...and no body for mourners to provide proper service to.

Good enough reason for the Klingons to despise the Federation.
Their disruptors disable or kill painfully: so that the warrior can learn from their injury; or experience their last act in life, their own death.
And leave the body nearly intact; so that the warrior can truly know what it means to kill...
...and mourners can give proper respect to the fallen.

Psh! It ain't got nothin on a Turbo-Laser! Just a few shots can decimate a whole country! A few more and you can wipe a planet clean! Showing sympathy for your enemies and letting them give proper respect for their dead is pure weakness, and the First Galactic Empire is strength incarnate!

*SNORT*

Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by aspectre:
"Most rabid Trek fans I know loathe, hate, and detest the term "Trekkers". We are Trekkies, and proud of it."

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/rabid

Your point?

Rabbit, I haven't been to a con in over 15 years. (For lack of time and money, not desire.) Not sure I get to call myself that anymore either, although I do still read the occasional fanfic, many of the books, and know most of the episode names. So maybe I still qualify after all. [Wink]

Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
[Razz]

Not all Trekkies wear glasses.

I wear contacts.

The important thing is that everyone understand that phasers are not miniature teleporters that de-sequence people. They are plasma weapons. There are also lethal settings that do not disintegrate; these are the most frequently used in lethal use situations by federation officers.

*takes hit off inhaler, goes to aspbergers support group*

rivka
Member # 4859

[Roll Eyes] Yeah, yeah. All Trekkies are socially-maladjusted, mouth-breathing, polyester-wearing nerds.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

It's not socially maladjusted, it's differently-socially-abled

*lives in mom's basement, decorates walls with 440 stainless steel fantasy swords*

Samprimary
Member # 8561

*wears DBZ and dragon flame shirts*
Samprimary
Member # 8561

*actually watched Evangelion any later than 2007*
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
Originally posted by Aros:
Many people have been cleaved in half or had limbs severed by mooring lines breaking (in the Navy). True, they're generally ropes (as opposed to cables). It's from the snapback of the crazy amounts of force placed by a drifting ship on a nylon rope.

That could have been the limitation of the test. it was just steel cable, right? Well, when those snap, it's mostly nonelastic breakage. Whereas with a more springy substance, that just becomes a lot of recoil energy as the substance forcefully contracts.
aspectre
Member # 2222

The real question is, do they have the proper pizza slicer?
" http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/rabid "
"Your point?
That I'll use any means to keep this thread going?
Then again, this thread has derailed itself so far from the original topic -- Romney being outted -- that having a point may well be pointless.
Unless ya wanna pierce knights' armor, of course.
However I do leave you with this to contemplate as clue to why describing the phaser as a plasma weapon is irrational.

[ April 22, 2012, 08:52 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
quote:
Originally posted by Aros:
Many people have been cleaved in half or had limbs severed by mooring lines breaking (in the Navy). True, they're generally ropes (as opposed to cables). It's from the snapback of the crazy amounts of force placed by a drifting ship on a nylon rope.

That could have been the limitation of the test. it was just steel cable, right? Well, when those snap, it's mostly nonelastic breakage. Whereas with a more springy substance, that just becomes a lot of recoil energy as the substance forcefully contracts.
That does not make any sense from a materials science perspective.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

Then I don't know how to make it make sense, but either way it appears that the more elastic materials are capable of whipping off arms and stuff when they snap back, whereas mythbusters couldn't get the same results with metal cable.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

I haven't seen the Mythbusters episode so I can't really speculate on what was wrong with their experiment. Very little of what's done on Mythbusters is scientifically rigorous and they often get misleading results.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

A google video link for "mythbusters cable" will give you links to the full episode.
aspectre
Member # 2222

Apparently news that Romney is out isn't exciting enough to keep this thread on the front page... so it's time to bring out the BIG light sabers.

Dark Resurrection: Volume I
A web-based fan-funded (Kickstarted before there was a Kickstarter) hour-long fan-film that matches or betters any individual episode in the Lucas franchise.
StarWars belongs to the space opera subgenre of science fiction; the label derived from the horse opera description of westerns.
Now imagine that StarWars had been turned over to a talented writer/director such as SergioLeone (The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly).
Voila, the spaghetti space opera... and the Italians know their opera.

Then watch its prequel, Dark Resurrection: Volume 0
The second one filmed... and it could be STRONGLY argued that it was designed to be the second one viewed. ie Like Brust's Dragaera series, one would miss a LOT by using the timeline to set the viewing order. ie By viewing Volume 0 before Volume I :
The tensions of Volume I would be spoiled by a previous viewing of Volume 0 .
The mysteries/unknowns introduced in Volume I are explained and/or explored in Volume 0 ... and sets up the background for the (as yet uncompleted) Volume II .
Angelo Licata has grown as a writer/director through what he learned from making Volume I, so have the actors, so have the set designs and special effects.
Imagine that RidleyScott had been working on a project to create a proper vision of Dune, then decided to meld that vision's feeling into SergioLeone's StarWars...

In Italian, but subtitle-translations are available (through YouTube's closed-caption option) for Volume 0 as well as automaticly subtitled for Volume I
Personally I liked following the storyline in Italian: good voices, great vocal phrasings.

[ April 30, 2012, 04:09 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Samprimary
Member # 8561

._.
aspectre
Member # 2222

Sorry, accidently used the Volume I web-address in the links to both parts. Volume 0's link has been corrected.

So, Samprimary, is that a good ._. or a bad ._. ?

[ April 30, 2012, 04:15 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Samprimary
Member # 8561

I don't know yet. Can't see.
aspectre
Member # 2222

Speaking of ninjas and world famous secret agents, You Only Live 4,662 Times

And speaking of covert activities...
...I deleted the link, leaving only the title, because apparently dotUK news websites have been hijacked by some sort of a re-address malware program.
There was a problem earlier in the year in which some hackers managed to deeply penetrate one of the European main-address/code servers.

[ May 06, 2012, 06:12 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.