FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » You do know, sir, that This means War!

Author Topic: You do know, sir, that This means War!
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Time to finish what Sherman left half-done.

[ February 10, 2008, 08:42 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The boundary today is marked by the Camak Stone, placed by University of Georgia professor James Camak at where he figured the Tennessee-Georgia-Alabama lines should meet.

But twice, in 1818 and again in 1826, he did his surveying with a primitive sextant, unsuitable astronomical charts and the old log and chain method, historian Bart Crattie, of Lookout Mountain, Ga., said in a December interview.

Mr. Crattie, a member of the Surveyors Historical Society, said Mr. Camak had fruitlessly begged the Georgia governor for better equipment.

There's a moral here...

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
With the court recently telling them they're only entitled to a third of the water in Lake Lanier, I'm not surprised. They still haven't learned their lesson; they just want to keep consuming from depletable resources.

Come on, Georgians. Much as we love picking on you, I know you're smarter than this. Get some desalinization plants built on the coast and work on water recycling programs until then. You can do better than this!

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
The current*boundaries of Alabama, Tennessee, and Georgia meet at latitude34.98468north longitude85.60516west.
(Latitude: 34.98468 , Longitude: -85.60516 )
Take a look at the satellite picture and the terrain map while using the zoom control on the left for various scales.
Now do the same for latitude35north longitude85.60516west.
(Latitude: 35 , Longitude: -85.60516 )

Between "the Grand Canyon of Tennessee" and instrument margin-of-error, methinks that Mr.Camak was up to a bit of mischief when he chose where to place the landmark Stone.

* Near as I can tell. Couldn't readily find the official numbers.

[ April 26, 2009, 09:50 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
The spectacular inaction of my state's government and populace in dealing with the drought leaves me speechless . . .
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.