FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Writers Strike: Over!!!

Author Topic: Writers Strike: Over!!!
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Link

And here's a chart that'll tell you what the deal will probably be with the various shows. Will there be more eps this season? Will they return next season? Are they kaput?

Kristin from EOnline has some more info, including BSG! Link.

[ February 13, 2008, 07:19 AM: Message edited by: Lisa ]

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Bionic Woman
No new episodes expected. Ever.

Well some good came out of it at least.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

True enough. I don't see how I could possibly have not watched it, but except for the scenes with Sarah Corvus, it was time wasted that I'll never get back.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
I was rather disappointed in it myself. But my desire to see robots destroy stuff has been pretty well satisfied by Terminator thus far. I think I'll be okay.
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
So umm... what was the actual final deal. And how come there's no mention of any Sci-Fi shows on that list huh? What about BSG? Stargate Atlantis? Etc?
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Can we use the hiatus for Heroes as an excuse to pull a Highlander and pretend this season never happened?...
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Alcon:
Stargate Atlantis?

Was essentially unaffected by the strike in the first place.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Hurrah for us crazy Canadians eh?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
What about Hiatus? It feels like I'm never going to get to see it.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm bummed about the wait for Pushing Daisies...

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
Hiatus is supposed to have new episodes airing in May, as soon as the pilot makes it through. And then there's the movie coming out in March. Or July. Or maybe next year.
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
That sound you don't hear is me not saying anything.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

I don't know what Joldo is talking about. Hiatus has been not running every single week, regardless of the writers' strike. I drop whatever I'm doing to not watch it, and I have to say, the episodes that haven't been airing are some of the best I've ever not seen.

Maybe that'd be a good ad campaign. While everyone else has been watching re-runs, thousands, if not millions of devoted Hiatus fans have been privileged to not watch brand new episodes. And the people not producing the show have managed not to do it without resorting to scabs.

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
So long as Scrubs gets a good ending, I'm happy. If Scrubs does not get the ending it deserves, there will be some skulls getting crushed. And those skulls will belong to NBC executives.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lime
Member # 1707

- posted      Profile for Lime   Email Lime         Edit/Delete Post 
If Lost does get six more episodes this season, color me ecstatic. And any more of The Office that they feel like making this season will also make me very happy.
Posts: 753 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
I hear you, Chris. And agree.
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
"(Heroes) producer Tim Kring is busy at work crafting a “series bible."

So... he's just now making a series bible for the show?!

With a show with this level of complexity, something tells me he's a little late... but better late than never.

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

They're talking about doing one for Lost any time now.
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

The Office
Expected to shoot 5 to 10 new episodes to air in April/May.

[Frown]
I barely even remember what was happening.

Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve_G
Member # 10101

- posted      Profile for Steve_G   Email Steve_G         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sad that they can cancel Journeyman and put Women's Murder Club on the ropes but that horribly stupid show Chuck gets to come back next season. Who are the idiots that get to make these choices?
Posts: 197 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm sad that they can cancel Journeyman and put Women's Murder Club on the ropes but that horribly stupid show Chuck gets to come back next season. Who are the idiots that get to make these choices?
The people who know that Chuck is watched and adored by a significant number of people who don't watch Journeyman. I'm sorry that your favourite show is being cancelled, but in my experience, Chuck is more widely liked.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

What We're Hearing: The crown jewel of the Sci Fi Channel should finish out its fourth and final season, but per writer Jane Espenson, it's almost certain that, schedule-wise, the story will be split into two separate miniseasons. The show completed 14 episodes before the strike hit, and at least the first 10 will air beginning Apr. 4. The second batch could premiere in the fall or even sometime in 2009.

[Mad]

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Steve_G:

NO NO NO!
They can't cancel Women's Murder Club!!!!
i LOVE THAT SHOW!

Plus Angie Harmon is soooooooo hot. [Big Grin]

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if I would have been more interested in Journeyman if I hadn't read The Time Traveler's Wife. It felt like too much of a copy of the premise of the book.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by 0Megabyte:
"(Heroes) producer Tim Kring is busy at work crafting a “series bible."

So... he's just now making a series bible for the show?!

With a show with this level of complexity, something tells me he's a little late... but better late than never.

Remember, if they blow your head off, it's over.

Remember, there's no reasonable way that I could know this.

Remember, this point is ultimately irrelevant.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tara:
quote:

The Office
Expected to shoot 5 to 10 new episodes to air in April/May.

[Frown]
I barely even remember what was happening.

I'm sure they'll rerun previous episodes in a run-up to the show's return.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Steve_G:

I loved Journeyman, and I love Chuck. I don't think it's stupid at all. Now that dumb pie thing with the guy who resurrects people for a minute, that's excruciating, and it doesn't seem to be willing to die.
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
Haha, that's a good one Lisa... like anyone could hate Pushing Daisies.
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
So... What was the actual deal cut?
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Elmer's Glue:
Haha, that's a good one Lisa... like anyone could hate Pushing Daisies.

<raised eyebrow> Really? I found it cloyingly sweet. Too precious for words. Granted, I've only seen the pilot, but that was more than enough for me. And I loved Wonderfalls and Dead Like Me.

This was the review I wrote of the pilot back last July.

Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Alcon:
So... What was the actual deal cut?

I imagine they won't announce it until it's finalized tonight.
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
The summary was posted Saturday morning. The gist (from an uninformed source, meamning me):

Writer minimum rates rise 3.5%.
Meaning: I assume that means salaries and upfront payments.

The WGA covers any writing for new media (webisodes, original content) if it's written by a professional writer, it's derivative of a WGA-covered program, or the budget is above any of the three thresholds: $15,000 per minute; $300,000 per program; or $500,000 per series order. Content that starts out without meeting those conditions that later meets them will be covered retroactively. Compensation for these items are defined, and pension and health coverage apply. Writers for new media will get credit, and any new media that is reused in traditional media will be paid the traditional rates for the most part.
Meaning: writers on shows can't be forced to make webisodes of their work without pay or credit, as in the past. There's also a "separated rights" clause that protects the writer if anything written for the web might someday become a movie or TV show. The minimums are annoying, but the precedent is a good one.

Internet residuals: Upfront money pays for writing services and 13 weeks of availability if the viewer does not pay, and 26 weeks if the viewer pays. After that the writers would receive 1.2% of distributor's gross receipts for original new media and different rates for reuse of material written for traditional media:
- if the viewer pays for limited access the writers get 1.2%.
- if the viewer buys a download, the writers get 0.36% of distributor's gross receipts for the first 100,000 downloads of a TV program and the first 50,000 of a feature. After that the writers get .7% for TV shows and .65% for features.
- Ad-supported streaming of movies after 1971 pay writers 1.2%.
- Ad-supported streaming of existing TV shows from 1977 to now pay writers 2%.
- Ad-supported streaming of TV shows pay writers nothing during an initial window of 24 days for the first episode of a series or one-off TV programs and 17 days for the rest.
And then, the formulas for when all the numbers take effect get complicated.
Meaning: Not nearly as good as they wanted, but probably better than anyone was realistically expecting. The writers will not get paid as much for Internet streaming as they do for TV reruns and the initial window is annoying as that's when the bulk of downloads will occur. But they get percentages, not a capped amount, and percentages of distributor gross instead of whatever the studios tell them the profit is. And the WGA will get access to the bookkeeping, which is an amazing concession (in this business, anyway, in any other industry it would be normal).

There are other agreements, including how clips are defined and paid for, and what exactly "promotion" means (no more entire "promotional" episodes). The health and pension fund contributions are defined, showrunners must be consulted when a commercial product must be integrated into a storyline, etc etc.

Not in the contract at all: DVD rates increases and union coverage for animation and reality shows. Both dropped by studio demand. The union coverage issue is one they can (and will) pursue outside of this contract, but the DVD rate issue was a mistake to drop, in my opinion.

The initial "free" window is a pain. And what i think is the biggest mistake: the contract now runs out in May instead of November, meaning the writers will never again have the power of holding up show and awards production the way they did this time. On the plus side, the contract only runs for 3 years, and not 20, so these points can be revisited then.

But the WGA held strong, the studios caved on some important points (New Media coverage, percentages instead of fixed amounts, open books), and overall the WGA seems more or less satisfied.

The writers are voting today on whether to lift the strike, and then they have 10 days to ratify the contract.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sylvrdragon
Member # 3332

- posted      Profile for sylvrdragon   Email sylvrdragon         Edit/Delete Post 
I always have to wonder when a strike ends, with the strikers giving up territory, whether they ended it in the good nature of compromise or if they were just getting hungry. If the latter, then I would say a Strike is more of a self-inflicted siege, and the other side could have held out for just a bit longer and taken the show.
Posts: 636 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I've read a lot of different rumors on BSG, everything from 2009 to Fall 2008. Sci-fi is pretty damned wacky sometimes with their scheduling.

I'm wondering if they'll do a supersized season, like 28 episodes, giving us 14 now and 14 in the Fall. They could. But they'd have to work out new contracts. I don't know, but I can almost guarantee that the viewers will be pissed. I've specifically decided not to buy the DVDs in protest, regardless of the fact that I REALLY want them.

I'm glad this is over. I'm looking forward to getting Heroes and NCIS back.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

The other side was hurting, though. The studios had to pay advertisers chargebacks for ads bought on shows that were never produced because of the strike, and the longer they held out they ran the risk of losing advertiser interest in the new pilots (which would not have been made). And PR was against them from the very beginning, which could hurt them with stockholders.

Worst of all, the longer the viewing public has to get used to no new TV the fewer of them will come back when the strike is over. Last time there was a big strike, ratings fell 10% across the board and the big networks lost a lot of viewers to cable (this was when and why HBO got big). Entertainment-starved viewers are going to DVDs and the Internet for new stuff, and many may have found they like it. This helps the studios with DVDs, but a surge in Internet interest before the studios can establish themselves as the best online source could hurt them as well. Writers can always go straight to the web and bypass the traditional distribution system -- potentially making more money doing so -- and many writers have already begun investigating such possibilities.

Had the writers held out till June when the actors guild contract ran out, they could have shut the whole industry down. But that's a long three months, and the WGA leaders decided they wouldn't get enough concessions to make the continued strike worth it.

pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
The outcome of a proper negotiation is that neither side is completely happy.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

The strike is over.

quote:
The membership of the Writers Guild of America, West (WGAW) and the Writers Guild of America, East (WGAE) today voted overwhelmingly in favor of lifting the restraining order and ending their 100-day strike that began on Nov. 5. 3,775 writers turned out in Los Angeles and New York to cast ballots or fax in proxies, with 92.5% voting in favor of ending the work stoppage.

Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
[Party]
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
I've read a lot of different rumors on BSG, everything from 2009 to Fall 2008.

The official website says March 2008 right now. I've read a lot of other stuff that says April. Either way I don't think they're going to push the whole season back till next year—maybe just the second half of it.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I meant for the second half. I think it starts back up on March 7th. I know it's the first week in March.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dab
Member # 7847

- posted      Profile for dab   Email dab         Edit/Delete Post 
hopefully the producers will not be pigheaded and give the Actors a far deal by June, or it will be a SAG strike this summer.
Posts: 104 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

If the studios were intelligent -- and at least some of the studio heads are -- they would go ahead and offer the actors a decent opening negotiation now, while the relief from the writers strike is strong.
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
So does this mean OSC is allowed to move forward with his ideas for the EG movie now? [Smile]
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
Am I the only one who's angry that the strike is ending before the Academy Awards?
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
No. Well, angry's not really the word. A bit irritated that the AA will go ahead as usual, I was looking forward to a press conference. But glad that people I know and care about can (hopefully) go back to work now. [Smile] (There are a fair amount of people in the tv industry-- not just writers but camera people, editors, etc.-- in my ward and stake who have been hurting for a month or so now.)
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.